R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #5941
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCT69 View Post
well The chassis not even bit narrower, same dimensions. I'm not trying to bash photon I switch from HB to photon and it's a blast to drive it.or maybe it,s already narrow compared to other chassis brand.
Think you answered your own question.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #5942
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter View Post
Think you answered your own question.
If that's the case, then there is no need to change to a lipo chassis. please clarify if I'm wrong.
GCT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #5943
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Got my lipo chassis today on the mail and was very excited opening it, to my surprise there really is not much difference between the lipo chassis and the 6 cell chassis, thickness is the same and screw holes are almost the same. My question to all photn expert is , Is there really a significant difference when it comes to handling, driveability etc. I thought the Lipo chassis would be narrower. Please somebody tell me I'm wrong.
I don't think that making the chassis more narrow would have changed anything. With the belts flipped, the battery sits right next to the belt and right at the edge of the chassis. The electronics side has enough room to position your stuff without stacking on top of each other.

The "stiff" lipo chassis that comes standard in the kits is slightly stiffer than the 6-cell chassis. The "standard" or "moderate" lipo chassis is more flexible than both of these chassis' and is made of a different type of carbon fiber. More flex but more risk of tweak. We haven't gone back inside yet, but I'm sure that the stiff lipo chassis will work very well on the carpet and it's already proven itself on the asphalt. Good luck with the new car.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #5944
Tech Champion

Quote:
If that's the case, then there is no need to change to a lipo chassis. please clarify if I'm wrong.
The lipo chassis will offer more consistent flex characteristics because of the lack of 6 unneccessary holes cut into the chassis. The area under the motor was removed for the same reason and to help prevent the breakdown of the sheet of fiber. The motor guard also acts to make the flex consistent from side to side. Besides, the lipo chassis looks sweet.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #5945
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
The lipo chassis will offer more consistent flex characteristics because of the lack of 6 unneccessary holes cut into the chassis. The area under the motor was removed for the same reason and to help prevent the breakdown of the sheet of fiber. The motor guard also acts to make the flex consistent from side to side. Besides, the lipo chassis looks sweet.
Now that' s the answer I've been waiting for. You may sit down now and give your self an A++. No seriously you hit the bulls eye.
GCT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #5946
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me, the radical steering plates that insert under the steering which are numbered 9, 10, 11 and 12. Which ones provides a little more steering?
Dadaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #5947
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadaman View Post
Can anyone tell me, the radical steering plates that insert under the steering which are numbered 9, 10, 11 and 12. Which ones provides a little more steering?
The smaller number is a smaller ackermann angle and gives more aggressive steering.

Just FYI, a longer crank setting also gives a smaller ackermann angle/more aggression. It also makes a big difference to the servo travel required.

On the steering hubs, the rearmost hole also creates a smaller ackermann angle/more aggression. Again, it makes a big difference to servo travel.

FWIW I've been running a long crank, 10 insert, and forward holes on the hubs. But there are many, many workable ways of setting the steering on this car!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #5948
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
The smaller number is a smaller ackermann angle and gives more aggressive steering.

Just FYI, a longer crank setting also gives a smaller ackermann angle/more aggression. It also makes a big difference to the servo travel required.

On the steering hubs, the rearmost hole also creates a smaller ackermann angle/more aggression. Again, it makes a big difference to servo travel.

FWIW I've been running a long crank, 10 insert, and forward holes on the hubs. But there are many, many workable ways of setting the steering on this car!
Thanks for that
Dadaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #5949
Tech Adept

I wonder why other manufacturers go to a more flexible chassis design. For example the Yokomo lipo chassis has so many cut-outs that I would think that it might break easily And it looks like it is even narrower than our chassis since the lipo stands over the outer chassis-line...
And it is often used on carpet from what I can see here in europe...so this direction cant be so wrong (?)
regards
Chris
edit: I just saw that the exotec chassis are 14mm narrower than our chassis.
a picture of the yokomo lipo-chassis can be found here: http://ets.redrc.net/wp-content/gall...hoferbd5-1.jpg

Last edited by Lutz; 10-16-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #5950
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A few of the newer LiPo chassis have quite a lot of cut outs, in some ways you wonder if the cut outs simulate the amount of open space on the old 6 cell chassis, so maybe it will continue to flex like the old chassis without resorting to changing the thickness or carbon plate type.

And that is the other thing, I gather not all carbon plate will flex alike, depending not just on thickness but type, if you want to be critical you could say there is some lazy engineering going on, or the chassis needs more flex cause the shocks and suspension are not doing the work they should.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #5951
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
And that is the other thing, I gather not all carbon plate will flex alike, depending not just on thickness but type, if you want to be critical you could say there is some lazy engineering going on, or the chassis needs more flex cause the shocks and suspension are not doing the work they should.
haha yeah that is one explanation, too

But they are still narrower

I just wonder, why my car is so heavy...its 1420g with Servo SC 1251 Savx, Kopropo reciever, genius 90, lrp x11 motor and fan, GM 5400 50C lipo, cpx tires and hb body....
We have 1400g weight limit at the lrp-hpi-challenge here in germany, so no problem here, yet.
But for german nationals and efra class we need 1350g, which is difficult to achieve...
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #5952
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
haha yeah that is one explanation, too

But they are still narrower

I just wonder, why my car is so heavy...its 1420g with Servo SC 1251 Savx, Kopropo reciever, genius 90, lrp x11 motor and fan, GM 5400 50C lipo, cpx tires and hb body....
We have 1400g weight limit at the lrp-hpi-challenge here in germany, so no problem here, yet.
But for german nationals and efra class we need 1350g, which is difficult to achieve...
It must be your electronics, getting down to 1400 is very easy with the car, get a kitchen scale and weight each thing individually. The new set of arms is said to save 8g by themselves, I haven't gotten them yet though.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #5953
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

I actually have had my car balanced at 1326
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #5954
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think mine is like 1350 and I put zero effort in trying to make it light, Spektrum DSM2 micro receiver and a 5000mah battery, but the rather large old style HW 60A and a cheap servo.

Keep in mind looking at batteries all of them seem to take moderate jumps in weight over 5000mah, my guess if your running the larger batts you may need to strip some weight somewhere.

But, like the previous poster said, I don't think it's real hard to get these cars in at a sub 1400 weight, or even sub 1350.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #5955
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke81 View Post
I actually have had my car balanced at 1326
Show off.