Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Second that Locked

Its been hard not being able to run due to the weather. I think I will be heading out to LOUs in Dorcester(about 1.5 hours drive). I see TOP may have a 12 scale come.. Hmmmm another class to dream about running.

I see such a need for a indoor in the GTA. Pretty bad we had a class A track like Fastcats and its gone.

Dave I dont feel so bad the second chassis (new to me) had the same issue with the rear arms installed with rims hitting the shock mounts. Thanks for pointing that out. Next time I see you I need to take a better look at how you installed the steering servo. I have a Orion LPF and can seem to get it right. To make this easier for me I decided to run the gear diff. Last time I was out (3 weeks ago) it was great. I was running it stock.

Quick question how can you tell if you have the version one shocks? I got a second chassis to run. I read a few pages back how to shim the pistons.. Great info on shock prep. Can you upgrade the version one to verions two and what is needed?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I believe the version 2 shocks have a white delrin shaft guide instead of a black one. I just have version 1 shocks right now. Was going to buy some new ones, I'm sure I still will, but the current ones are working fine for me and I need to slow down my rc spending for a bit. I need a raise or a sponsorship I'd settle for a place to race this winter.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
The screws seem sub par in material quality. The wheel hexes seems a little fragile. ETC.

The aluminum LiPo retainers are pimp, but seem best suited for packs with bullet connections. My wired Trinity or SMC packs arent the most convenient for the mounts.
The lipo brackets are pimptastic, I hesitated buying mine with the cost bump, but they look a million bucks, and for function they really work great with the velcro strap.

Screws are frustrating, several in my kit were so bad when doing them up they went right into the bin, now several more on the chassis have me worried I won't be able to get them out again, it hurts to say it when the rest of the kit is so good.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by locked
I believe the version 2 shocks have a white delrin shaft guide instead of a black one. I just have version 1 shocks right now. Was going to buy some new ones, I'm sure I still will, but the current ones are working fine for me and I need to slow down my rc spending for a bit. I need a raise or a sponsorship I'd settle for a place to race this winter.
When I raced at Fast Cats it was a 1hr 20 min drive in the winter
Lous Speedway would be about 1 hr 10 min drive from Fast Cats

You can race here
OH and we stalk Photon parts

Lou
Old 09-17-2010, 04:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you are having problems getting the right ride height, with certain springs
then you need to find differenent spring retaining cups that lower the spring.
I use Photon, X-Ray or Tamiya to get correct ride height.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have a couple of questions to ask. At this time I am still running the standard car, but I am slowly trying to upgrade it. I see on the set-up sheets that people are using the front and rear wing. My car doesn't have it. I was told that I didn't need, but I am noticing everybody is checking the box. Is this something I need on the car? My other question is about the updated front and rear axles. Do I need to buy the kits, the axles or just the dogbone? Ive also noticed different length dogbones out there. Which ones do I need? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Chad you'll get a bunch of different answers but i run the older foam chassi with the hard foam wings.... lot's of setups with the new lipo chassi and medium wings so think they are a must. i tried to remove just the screws to try and free my car up but did not really work.

the dogbones are

46mm front steel when using a spool
44.5 rear
alum
I use the CVD pin retainner which is very cool little piece of kit.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadB.
I have a couple of questions to ask. At this time I am still running the standard car, but I am slowly trying to upgrade it. I see on the set-up sheets that people are using the front and rear wing. My car doesn't have it. I was told that I didn't need, but I am noticing everybody is checking the box. Is this something I need on the car? My other question is about the updated front and rear axles. Do I need to buy the kits, the axles or just the dogbone? Ive also noticed different length dogbones out there. Which ones do I need? Thanks for any help.
The very early cars had rear dogbones that were too long and would toss the blade because it would hit the diff screw.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Sounds good Mark and Mike. I was going through a ton of bone blades. It made for a pretty rough weekend. I am just trying to get my car situated for the TZGP2 race in October.

So is it wise for me to get the new driveline kit?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds good Mark and Mike. I was going through a ton of bone blades. It made for a pretty rough weekend. I am just trying to get my car situated for the TZGP2 race in October.

So is it wise for me to get the new driveline kit?
You need to use the 44.5mm dogbones at the rear, get the 44.5mm Universal Shaft Set (PO-SDT027RD) x1 or if your axles and universals are good just get the 44.5mm dog bones (PO-SDT026RD) x2. For the front use the Steel Universal Shaft Set 46mm (PO-SDT020) x1 or just the Steel Universal Dog Bone 46mm (PO-SDT008) x2. If the car is pretty old you may want the Version 2 Spool (TC-PMJS01) and the Steel Spool Outdrives (PO-PDT003)
Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default IIC 2010

I want to give a big congratulations to Dustin Layne for winning the stock class at the IIC!

Also another big congratulations to privateer Jerry Perez for winning the amateur class!

Notables:
Arvin Nano finished 5th in the Stock class
EJ Evans 4th in the Super Stock Class

Setups coming soon.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
I want to give a big congratulations to Dustin Layne for winning the stock class at the IIC!

Also another big congratulations to privateer Jerry Perez for winning the amateur class!

Notables:
Arvin Nano finished 5th in the Stock class
EJ Evans 4th in the Super Stock Class

Setups coming soon.
wow fourth place in super stock is more than a notable. nice job E.J. and Dustin Layne.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by odpurple
You need to use the 44.5mm dogbones at the rear, get the 44.5mm Universal Shaft Set (PO-SDT027RD) x1 or if your axles and universals are good just get the 44.5mm dog bones (PO-SDT026RD) x2. For the front use the Steel Universal Shaft Set 46mm (PO-SDT020) x1 or just the Steel Universal Dog Bone 46mm (PO-SDT008) x2. If the car is pretty old you may want the Version 2 Spool (TC-PMJS01) and the Steel Spool Outdrives (PO-PDT003)
I have the steel outdrives on the spool that I have. What is the difference between the new and the old spools, and how do I know if I have the new spool?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

hey guys, hows this car handle on tight low traction tracks? is there anything you would recomend purchasing when buying the kit?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

I have the steel outdrives on the spool that I have. What is the difference between the new and the old spools, and how do I know if I have the new spool?
The material on the V2 spool is harder and the screw hole is a bit smaller. It's pretty difficult to tell them apart. Truth is, if you have the steel outdrives they were probably put on with a new V2 spool after the original got chewed up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.