Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

And I should add Im running on asphalt..
Old 09-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shaun207
has anyone got any info as to what weight of oil to use in a m-pro gear diff , i did ask before , but never got a reply ..

its for on carpet , spool up front and gear diff in the rear ...
Im running 10,000 in the rear carpet and asphalt
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toby333
Hello Tony. Regarding your fan setup pictured in the last page or two, do you get a better cooling effect just by glueing the fan to the chassis blowing on the motor as opposed to using a fan attached to a motor heatsink?
And on the topic of diff grease/oil, what viscosity grading system are you using? I've got a couple of u-pro gear diff's now, just running the rear straight out of the packet and I know I have to change the oil in the front for a stiffer action. 120K(?) i see is the go..
Cheers.
Gear diffs. I have Xray 10k CST in the rear and Ofna 120k in the front right now. I may go back to the 100k in the front for comparison testing, but they both seem to work pretty well. 80k was too soft for the front. 10k gave better steering in the rear.

Fans. I don't like the concept of heatsink fans. I realize that it's an easy way to mount a fan to any motor, but I think that the extra heatsink just traps the heat in the motor and doesn't allow it to dissipate like it should. Besides being bulky and ugly to look at, most heatsinks that I've seen run the fins in the wrong direction. To be effective the fins should run length wise along the chassis, not parallel to the motor (on a belt drive car). As the heat tries to escape the fins, the longitudinal design would allow airflow to "clean" the hot air off of the heatsink. I hope that makes sense. I haven't run a heatsink fan to compare temps, mainly because they look terrible. (I'm vain). With the BOSS fan glued to the chassis, like I have it, the motor runs 30-40 degrees cooler. Last night I hardwired a BOSS fan to the ESC instead of plugging it into the receiver and it puts out some major airflow. With the car on the table, I could feel the breeze coming from the fan. Good luck with your choices. Best of luck on the track.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
As the heat tries to escape the fins, the longitudinal design would allow airflow to "clean" the hot air off of the heatsink. I hope that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense Tony. I hate clamp style heatsinks, and have for years for that very reason.

Applying that same logic, the current location of your fan would just recycle hot air coming off the motor back onto the motor through the fan. Optimal fan position for you would be in front, or front/top of the motor.

I went through the same issues with my car, and found the side of the motor out of the flow of air under the body was best. It allowed the same amount of cooling on receiver voltage VS battery voltage with the fan blocking the underbody airstream.

Our motors are positioned differently though, so that changes things a little. That would put your fan on the endbell of your motor, and would be quite useless hitting so little motor metal.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Any chance we're gonna see 1dg rear hubs for this car? and 6dg chubs?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

I haven't tried them on carpet yet, but Marcos J is running 10k in the rear on carpet. I'm running 10k also on asphalt.
cheers tony , is that with rubber or foam tyres , i use rubber ones ....

soo 10k with a spool up front ....
Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

cheers tony , is that with rubber or foam tyres , i use rubber ones ....

soo 10k with a spool up front ....
Rubber tires on asphalt.

Any chance we're gonna see 1dg rear hubs for this car? and 6dg chubs?
Haven't heard anything on 1dg rear hubs, but 6dg c-hubs are in the works. No estimated time on completion.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

cheers , do you know what tyres marcos runs on carpet ... foam or rubber .......thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DaveW
Applying that same logic, the current location of your fan would just recycle hot air coming off the motor back onto the motor through the fan. Optimal fan position for you would be in front, or front/top of the motor.
I won't argue with you there, Obiwan. However, I have a nice little plateau of carbon behind the motor and a small town of electronics in front of it. Still pulls the temps down considerably.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

cheers , do you know what tyres marcos runs on carpet ... foam or rubber .......thanks
I run Solaris "hard" rubber tires on carpet
Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I run Solaris "hard" rubber tires on carpet
ok thanks marcos and stiltskin for your help ......

thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Hi Guys
what is optional 1.25mm camber plates for?
Is that giving a longer camber link option with more inside hole or what?
also do you guys using alloy turnbuckles?
Thanx
Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

... and a small town of electronics in front of it.
^^ ^^

I have often thought of making a fiberglas/FRP duct that intakes cool air from the front of the car, encloses the motor can, and use a high speed fan to exhaust the hot air. Lack of time and motivation netted a lexan mount instead.

Since the air under a TC body is likely turbulent at best, fan position isnt crucial. But there are always ways to make things more efficient...
Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by yokemad
Hi Guys
what is optional 1.25mm camber plates for?
Is that giving a longer camber link option with more inside hole or what?
also do you guys using alloy turnbuckles?
Thanx
Think of the holes on the stock camber plate as 1,3,5. The new plate has two holes at 2 and 4 and a third hole that puts the link right over the bearing cam for the longest link.

Still using the stock camber links.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Cheers Mate
I think Its better to order Cefx ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.