Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
NEVER SPRAY ANYTHING ON SHOCKS. Just dump the oil out and let them sit upside down for like 10 minutes and refill with something else. If you spray anything on the shock replace take the oring out or replace it.
thats wat i wanted to say . it kils your orings.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

anybody to give me the width between bearings of a Photon diff?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Not to hijack your guys thread but I have a ton of photon stuff. Stock and cefx. Two full cars one stock and one is the evo and parts that I haven't posted up yet. Pm me if interested
Old 08-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Had a great days racing today with the Photon. The car just gets better and better. Managed pole in the B final, a result for me and also a PB to boot.
My car is pretty much kit set up apart from HPI pro4 blues all round. I have plenty of grip in the corners but would just like more steering on the tighter slower sections of track. Does anyone have any ideas what I could change to achieve this ?
KIT top deck, STD chassis and wings
Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darrenoakley
Had a great days racing today with the Photon. The car just gets better and better. Managed pole in the B final, a result for me and also a PB to boot.
My car is pretty much kit set up apart from HPI pro4 blues all round. I have plenty of grip in the corners but would just like more steering on the tighter slower sections of track. Does anyone have any ideas what I could change to achieve this ?
KIT top deck, STD chassis and wings
is steering travel limited by the steering block arm hitting the castor block, the bellcrank hitting the bulkhead or is it at the servo?

which akerman insert are you using and which slot on the bellcrank?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kschu
really need to run so thick oil ???
in the front yes
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

With running the gear diff up front is it recommended to run the steel dogbones or are alloy ok?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by canto54
anybody to give me the width between bearings of a Photon diff?
It's 31.5mm between outer edge of the bearings.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paraletic
With running the gear diff up front is it recommended to run the steel dogbones or are alloy ok?
Im running alloy with no problems at all, with the gear diff in the front the cvd's will last alot longer than using a spool
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
in the front yes
wont make d car understeer??
Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kschu
wont make d car understeer??
He said felt like a front one-way.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by locked
is steering travel limited by the steering block arm hitting the castor block, the bellcrank hitting the bulkhead or is it at the servo?

which akerman insert are you using and which slot on the bellcrank?
I am using insert 10 on the centre position. Even if let it move all the way to the castor blocks it dosent seem to give me as good steering as my scythe at low speeds. And then also makes it to twitchy.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skitee
It's 31.5mm between outer edge of the bearings.
thanks a lot for your help
Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by defcone
He said felt like a front one-way.
It actually makes it like a spool but, there is some give that takes away some of the wheel slip.

Running a one-way gives you no front brakes and this setup does not do that.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I got to the track on saturday and tested my gear diffs. Track is Jackson RC in NJ, Med grip unsealed sprayed asphalt. I had 2 cars running, the "slow" car is 17.5 no timing no boost, duo 1 middle hole 3.5FDR. The other car is 17.5 open, 208, etc.

So I stared with the slow car with a front gear diff and rear ball diff, I had put 50k in the front as it was all that I had. This car was a bit loose with a 13.5 in it, but now with the slower motor and diff it had amazing turn in, but had the expected on power push. I then put the other gear diff in the rear which had 5k in it. This setup was good, but I had a lot of trouble getting around the sweeper. With practice almost done, I put the spool back up front, got the sweeper back, but got a push on the slower speed corners. I went with this setup for the rest of the day. I am going to try the front again with some thicker fluid, I think with the small gears and only 2 spiders its going to be hard to really lock up this diff, there just isn't alot of surface area.

I had put the rear diff in the fast car to start, my car is generally loose at this track in the beginning of the day, and now it was 5x worse. I tried to plant it, and it was good most of the time, but I found myself every once in a while either getting a wheel up on a curb and looping the car, or powering too hard out of a corner and fishtailing, so I just put my ball diff back in for the day. I meant to test it after racing at night where the car was really planted, but I forgot.

I think I will be running it for sure on carpet, and it may end up being something I can run at night outdoors, we'll see, unfortunately its a long trip to the track to test too many variations and setups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.