Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the quick answers Tony and the set up Larry!

Just a follow up regarding the shocks. At our track, I generally run 17.5. Are you guys using stiffer springs because you guys are running faster lower turn motors therefore the stiffer springs reduce body roll? And if I were to use softer springs, can I get away with using thicker oil instead? If you’ve got a simple explanation that would be great.

Regarding the aluminum steering blocks and the rear hole being in a different position. Can that be fixed by using a different steer length position on the bell crank? I would like to get the aluminum one for durability and also when you buy the plastic spares, they come as a package with the rear hub but I’m assuming that doesn’t break as often and I don’t need that many extra.

Thanks,

Ivan
Old 07-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
The problem I have with the Aluminum steering blocks is the rear hole in them for the steering link is in a different spot than the stock ones and Schreff and I always use the rear hole in the plastic blocks on rubber tires. So you have to watch out for that. Every setup I have ever posted uses this rear hole on the stock blocks, the aluminum one changes the ackerman a lot.
Good to know. I've been using the front hole on the plastic blocks as per the base setup ....I thought the car felt goofy mid corner to exit. Would that be the result??
Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default set up info ...needed..

hi i may have missed it but what do you set the droop on , wishbone , hub etc im using the hudy droop gauge , also what about shock lengh , i cant find that mentioned anywhere.......

cheers
Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

have a question for yours, how do you tighten the pinion? I can't find space to insert the key...it's new lipo Chassis 2,25
under chassis, there is a hole in spur gear area, but I can't tighten pinion very well...
Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shaun207
hi i may have missed it but what do you set the droop on , wishbone , hub etc im using the hudy droop gauge , also what about shock lengh , i cant find that mentioned anywhere.......

cheers
Build the shocks to the "normal" length, it's fine - just don't try and tighten the bottoms all the way up the thread, they won't go that far without damage! A few threads will be visible but they will be concealed by the spring cup.

Droop is normally measured to the bottom of the loop on the rear hub, and to the outer lower edge of the front wishbone. For outdoors/rubber, I would personally start at 0 rear/5 front. For carpet/rubber I would go to 1 rear/6 front.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Setups..

http://www.tchub.info/
Old 07-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge
Build the shocks to the "normal" length, it's fine - just don't try and tighten the bottoms all the way up the thread, they won't go that far without damage! A few threads will be visible but they will be concealed by the spring cup.

Droop is normally measured to the bottom of the loop on the rear hub, and to the outer lower edge of the front wishbone. For outdoors/rubber, I would personally start at 0 rear/5 front. For carpet/rubber I would go to 1 rear/6 front.
cheers sosidge ..

im running this one indoors , for the rear droop i normaly take the rear hub off and measure on the rear arm and on the front to the c-hub ..

my photon has been going well , but last night was my 4th meeting and my worst !!! .... mostly , all fault of my own .... and not being able to concentrate ( i was knackered !! ) ... cheers
Old 07-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luppi Stefano
have a question for yours, how do you tighten the pinion? I can't find space to insert the key...it's new lipo Chassis 2,25
under chassis, there is a hole in spur gear area, but I can't tighten pinion very well...

i use a long hex wrench and go on an angle from the center of the top deck
Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just picked up one of these cars, I need to order some parts. I am confused on the difference between v2 and v3 drive shafts, the difference between the 3mm collar washers and the wide 3mm collars. Also what does changing the o-ring in the shocks accomplish?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbmartin
I just picked up one of these cars, I need to order some parts. I am confused on the difference between v2 and v3 drive shafts, the difference between the 3mm collar washers and the wide 3mm collars. Also what does changing the o-ring in the shocks accomplish?
Thanks in advance
Thats awesome Dave!! the car is great , I ran mine today at out new Indoor carpet track and its Dialed!! Im running the gear diff in the rear and I will be testing the gear diff in the front next week ( as soon as I get my pulley)
Old 07-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dbmartin
Thanks in advance
The V2 axles have 2 universal pin holes, V3 have 4, and are interchangable. The dogbones are the same.

The Ultra Wide Collars are used under the suspension mounts to adjust toe. The small od collars are used to adjust camber link height.

Some racers prefer the 40 durometer 'o'rings to the stock 30's. On the V1 shocks they seem to leak less. On the V2 shocks we use the 30's
Old 08-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Default Shocks

Originally Posted by odpurple
Some racers prefer the 40 durometer 'o'rings to the stock 30's. On the V1 shocks they seem to leak less. On the V2 shocks we use the 30's
Gathering info while waiting for my Photon to arrive.

The statement above make me wonder if Xray 10th sedan shocks can be used with the Photon.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by PDX-Spike
Gathering info while waiting for my Photon to arrive.

The statement above make me wonder if Xray 10th sedan shocks can be used with the Photon.
No need for that. The V2 shocks feel better then a Tamiya shock imo and leak no oil.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
No need for that. The V2 shocks feel better then a Tamiya shock imo and leak no oil.
OK...but I already have two sets of Xray shocks and all the springs I need.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The new kits come with the v2 shocks. And if you run xray shocks you'll never be able to use any setups posted on here because getting the shocks to feel the same as the kit shocks will be basically impossible.

And I cant explain how important it is to get your shocks feeling right on this car. It makes a world of difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.