R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #5011
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
Ran 80k weight in the front today with much better results. Gonna try 100k next time out. I agree that 10k is probably pretty good for the rear. 20k felt too much.
What brand oil are you using? So a good starting setup would be 80k in the front and 10k in the rear?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #5012
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)

Quote:
Ran 80k weight in the front today with much better results. Gonna try 100k next time out. I agree that 10k is probably pretty good for the rear. 20k felt too much.
That's what I'm going to rum on mine when I get it next week. I may start with 120,000 in the front (diff lock fluid).
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #5013
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabroom View Post
What brand oil are you using? So a good starting setup would be 80k in the front and 10k in the rear?
STD is Xceed 20k oil

Last edited by RC MARKET; 07-25-2010 at 12:13 PM.
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #5014
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
I've been using Xray oil that I stole from a local nitro guy. I'm only running the gear diff in the front right now. I'll have the rear next week and be able to tell you more. I will be starting with 80k/10k unless I like the feel of the 100k after more testing.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #5015
Tech Adept

Quote:
I've been using Xray oil that I stole from a local nitro guy. I'm only running the gear diff in the front right now. I'll have the rear next week and be able to tell you more. I will be starting with 80k/10k unless I like the feel of the 100k after more testing.
Your running the gear diff in the front? so you still have a ball diff in the back??

cheers
michael.branth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #5016
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.branth View Post
Your running the gear diff in the front? so you still have a ball diff in the back??

cheers
Yes. I know it works in the rear so I wanted to try it in the front. I see more guys asking about results with the front gear diff and different oil combos, so I thought I'd help out. I'll be able to run both front and rear next week and play with oil combinations again. Easy enough to change oil while the battery is charging.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #5017
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes. I know it works in the rear so I wanted to try it in the front. I see more guys asking about results with the front gear diff and different oil combos, so I thought I'd help out. I'll be able to run both front and rear next week and play with oil combinations again. Easy enough to change oil while the battery is charging.
Same here I should have my other gear diff for the front sometime this week
Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #5018
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

anyone tried running the gear diff with lower turn motors?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #5019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
anyone tried running the gear diff with lower turn motors?
This week I will be running sp5.5 So I will let you know how it goes, but after taking my diff apart today after running 10plus battery packs to inspect it( still looks new) , Im sure the diff will be just fine
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #5020
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
after taking my diff apart today after running 10plus battery packs to inspect it( still looks new) , Im sure the diff will be just fine
That's good news! I plan on running front and rear in 13.5 / 17.5. It'll be great to get a starting point fluid weight up front.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #5021
Tech Fanatic

Marcos, which brand are you using? Hope it's cheaper than Xray. Sounds like you are using shock oil.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #5022
Super Moderator

Quote:
Marcos, which brand are you using? Hope it's cheaper than Xray. Sounds like you are using shock oil.
Im using the M.Pro, and im using OFNA diff Fluid
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #5023
Tech Apprentice

Default Gear Diffs

On these gear diffs has anyone tried taking out some of the spacers to losen it up or is everyone leaving it as is?

Also, When you come to rebuild it for the first time is everyone stripping it down cleaning it out fully?

Reason being I was running one at the weekend and had a few problems with it locking up etc after the inital couple of runs... Was running 1,000 CST, I am guessing now this was way way, too light...

It seemed so much better than the ball diff until I started getting issues with it, hugged the inside line so much better, and a lot better acceleration out of the corners..

Those of you that have been running in the front? What class has this been in 10.5,13,5 etc?

Where would you run a ball opposed to a gear diff?

Thanks
CouldbeFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #5024
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouldbeFaster View Post
Might sound like a stupid question,

but on these gear diffs has anyone tried taking out some of the spacers to losen it up or is everyone leaving it as is?

Also, When you come to rebuild it for the first time is everyone stripping it down cleaning it out fully?

Reason being I was running one at the weekend and had a few problems with it locking up etc after the inital couple of runs... Was running 1,000 CST, I am guessing now this was way way, too light...

It seemed so much better than the ball diff until I started getting issues with it... At one stage after a rebuild all the oil cam out of it after a couple of laps......

Those of you that have been running in the front? What class has this been in 10.5,13,5 etc?

Thanks
I broke it apart and cleaned it out with motor spray. I did not remove any shims. I want the diff to wear in naturally and don't want to risk stripping the gears just for a little more freedom. I would guess that 1000 weight is too light, but I haven't tried it. I've been running the gear diff in front with a 17.5. Too much stuff to play with right now.....gear diffs, Tekin 208, 6 degree blocks.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #5025
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I broke it apart and cleaned it out with motor spray. I did not remove any shims. I want the diff to wear in naturally and don't want to risk stripping the gears just for a little more freedom. I would guess that 1000 weight is too light, but I haven't tried it. I've been running the gear diff in front with a 17.5. Too much stuff to play with right now.....gear diffs, Tekin 208, 6 degree blocks.
Hey, thanks for the quick response....

Indeed, busy busy... Always something to be testing....

Ive ordered a couple more, and ill leave this one well alone this time, apart from changing the oil of course...

I was running mine in 10.5 this weekend just gone.... Like it was on quite a technical out door track and it was great, transformed the car in my opinion... Was able to hug the inside apexs with no issue at all...

Bit more playing to be had me think.

Might have been a little too much for it. I'll be interested to try one up front... Next meeting is at a big open circuit... Im thinking running one up front might help carry some speed round the corners...
CouldbeFaster is offline   Reply With Quote