R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #4756
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I needed the CA to glue on the the two pulley edge bits as shown in the manual, is gluing the carbon edges important?, I have seen it done, but I'm reluctant to do it as some results I have seen look poor, and if I cock it up I have to live with it.

And damn my clumsy hands and deciding to keep building late into the night, I broke a sway bar alloy end bit, my own build tip is to pre thread the plastic bits with a good screw, the alloy is hollow (only realized that after it broke) and hard to wind on true, so easy to bugger up if your not careful.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #4757
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I needed the CA to glue on the the two pulley edge bits as shown in the manual, is gluing the carbon edges important?, I have seen it done, but I'm reluctant to do it as some results I have seen look poor, and if I cock it up I have to live with it.

And damn my clumsy hands and deciding to keep building late into the night, I broke a sway bar alloy end bit, my own build tip is to pre thread the plastic bits with a good screw, the alloy is hollow (only realized that after it broke) and hard to wind on true, so easy to bugger up if your not careful.
I never glue my chassis. I sand them smooth and let it ride. I want to know if my chassis is cracked and sometimes glue can hide a cracked chassis. Its more a personal preference then anything though. Some people do swear by it.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #4758
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
I broke a sway bar alloy end bit, my own build tip is to pre thread the plastic bits with a good screw, the alloy is hollow (only realized that after it broke) and hard to wind on true, so easy to bugger up if your not careful.
I broke my swaybar.... thingy exactly the same way, bummer! Raced the car for the first time with no rear bar and it was still great! Seems like a particularly fragile part though.
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #4759
Tech Addict

I've done that too although not with the Photon, anyway I now always pre tap any plastic parts that I'll be screwing aluminum into.

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #4760
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bishop....

I broke mine on the same night you did building mine!

Was very unhappy...

Car is nice though... everything is super smooth and slop free
Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #4761
Tech Elite

I'd be tempted to try running without, but decided I wanted the fancy alloy LiPo brackets and strap, so ordered all that the other day, and like $50 worth of gearing off ebay last night, setup costs on this hobby will kill you.

Edit: Three people breaking the same part within a week?, maybe it is a shade weaker than I suspected, either way when you just spent $XXX on a brand new kit, it sure hurts when you break something during the build, hurt as in I'll just be in the corner having a double vodka and slashing my wrists...

But yes the rest of the build is for the most part excellent, the only quality bumps is probably the slightly off fitting spur pulleys, and the shock pistons just seem cheapish?.
Overall I think it's gaining some fans of late, likely cause the price is right and it's got the quality and looks, I know of a few people buying them right now, which is good news for Top.

Last edited by Bishop; 07-01-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #4762
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I was racing tonight on our carpet track and am confused why i got .3 slower from the 1st qual to the main. The traction was down as usual but this seems to be when i pull my fastest laps. As the traction comes up my car gets slower. It feels like it doesn't want to rotate around the slow speed corners very well.

So to help loosen the rear up some i put on a medium rear swaybar. It did nothing or made it worse.

Regardless of my setup what would be some good recommendations to loosen up the rear or giving the car more low speed steering; roll center, stiffer springs, different swaybar, less rear toe, etc?
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #4763
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yup, I was a little disapointed with some of the build too but, the on track performance made up for it. The car was ultra smooth and carried good corner speed it's first time out. There are already a couple of guys at my club ready to order Photons as well.
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #4764
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #4765
Tech Master

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
I broke my swaybar.... thingy exactly the same way, bummer! Raced the car for the first time with no rear bar and it was still great! Seems like a particularly fragile part though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWTF View Post
Bishop....

I broke mine on the same night you did building mine!

Was very unhappy...
If you had read the review on www.overrc.com , that would not have happened ! ;-)

Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #4766
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Cause.........maybe they don't read French...or whatever.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #4767
Tech Elite

Nice site, but yes my French is very rusty, and technical articles don't translate well either, found that out trying to make sense of some German technical stuff years ago...
Old 07-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #4768
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
I was racing tonight on our carpet track and am confused why i got .3 slower from the 1st qual to the main. The traction was down as usual but this seems to be when i pull my fastest laps. As the traction comes up my car gets slower. It feels like it doesn't want to rotate around the slow speed corners very well.

So to help loosen the rear up some i put on a medium rear swaybar. It did nothing or made it worse.

Regardless of my setup what would be some good recommendations to loosen up the rear or giving the car more low speed steering; roll center, stiffer springs, different swaybar, less rear toe, etc?
This car has amazing levels of traction. Run a stiffer base plate to stop the car digging in and losing its speed. The back will feel lighter the car will rotate more you can then use less steering and gain even more corner speed as a result. Car may not feel so safe but lap time will drop

Don't know if these will work for you but easier to try are laying down/standing up the rear shocks to gain rotation (surprisingly effective sometimes), and using the outer hole on steering upright. The outer wheel gains one degree more at full lock, less tyre slip, more corner speed

Less rear toe always works but she might get tricky

Hope this helps
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #4769
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:

Not sure what kind of setup you're running. Foam/Rubber, spool/diff. I was never able to get the spool to work for me on carpet. Our track always starts out low then comes in throughout the day. I ran a front diff in my car and had great success with it. Only 3 cars were able to run 37 laps and I was the only one with 38. Turned very well and never felt unsettled. I was running the 2.5 lipo chassis as well on rubber tires.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #4770
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:

try runnning no sway bar... and laying rear shock down another hole...use foam topdeck.