R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #4726
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,138
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

2 different 2.25mm chassis is ok !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 AM   #4727
Tech Champion
 
stiltskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,333
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I would have thought the softest LiPo chassis came stock in the Ltd kit, is the LiPo Ltd chassis ok for outdoor racing on a tarmac track?, fast large and fairly bumpy with what will be a 10.5T motor class.

And good news for me, just managed to sell my spare Nitro today, so I get to order a brand spanking new Photon tonight.
Because of the different surfaces and levels of grip, TOP decided to spec the medium flex (stiff) chassis with the kits. It may not be stiff enough for some surfaces and too stiff for others, but it should work pretty good on all surfaces. If you feel that you need a different flex characteristic, you have the option to buy the chassis of your choice. Congrats on your new car. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
__________________
Tony Rumple
Team EAM // Gravity RC
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #4728
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I would say build the car with the chassis it came with. Try to push the cars ability/setup and get each lap within a few tenths of each other. (easy to do in practice, HARD to do in quals, and even HARDER to do in the main)

Once you have achieved that consistency, feel you have tapped the potential of the car, and you are still middle of the A with your average lap time off by several tenths to theirs... then try a different chassis.

Trust me, you really dont need to have all the newest and greatest parts to be competitive. You only need them if you want to guarantee consistent winning.
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #4729
Tech Master
 
pcar951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cow Town
Posts: 1,691
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Just finished my ltd. ed. build. I switched back to the 6 cell chassis, the lipo unit is just way too stiff for low grip IMO. Bummer cause I had the belts flipped to get electrics on center, had to change them back.
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #4730
Tech Elite
 
haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,781
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Well at least in america everyone is now racing on rubber tires, if we were still racing foam stiff is where its at Rubber tires on high grip carpet stilll require almost foam like chassis too.
We still race on foams up here in Minnesota so we are running the foam version of the car. It works quite well!
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #4731
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
We still race on foams up here in Minnesota so we are running the foam version of the car. It works quite well!
There is one track who still gets a class locally, but in the "big picture" races I don't think there will be any foam other than 1/12 this year. It's a shame I liked foam alot.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #4732
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,212
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Once you have achieved that consistency, feel you have tapped the potential of the car, and you are still middle of the A with your average lap time off by several tenths to theirs... then try a different chassis.
So in other words, I'll probably 'never' need to worry about having to change chassis.

But seriously I have been focusing on my consistency with the Nitro since I started 8+ months ago, I'm hoping the Electric (on rubber) won't be any harder to learn, although some of the gearing stuff is currently doing my head in.

I get quite disturbed seeing guys selling on road electric kits saying they can't get the hang of it, but to be fair I see guys sell off Nitro for the same reason.

And my Photon did get ordered last night, so with any luck I'll have it within a week, then it's just a case of buying the running parts, and figuring out the setups, may get it on track in 2-3 weeks, but that feels ages away now I say it.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #4733
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
So in other words, I'll probably 'never' need to worry about having to change chassis.

But seriously I have been focusing on my consistency with the Nitro since I started 8+ months ago, I'm hoping the Electric (on rubber) won't be any harder to learn, although some of the gearing stuff is currently doing my head in.

I get quite disturbed seeing guys selling on road electric kits saying they can't get the hang of it, but to be fair I see guys sell off Nitro for the same reason.

And my Photon did get ordered last night, so with any luck I'll have it within a week, then it's just a case of buying the running parts, and figuring out the setups, may get it on track in 2-3 weeks, but that feels ages away now I say it.
Honestly saying that you won't notice a difference isn't true. If your surface is low to mid traction you will notice a difference at any skill level, stiffer chassis will be less forgiving and will result in less consistent driving. If your on med-high traction, it will be a small difference between a med flex to low flex chassis, you will likely notice it as a overall lack of grip, there are times when this can work to your advantage.
I only have the 6 cell chassis for the photon, but I have been swapping chassis on my schumacher a lot, I usually like the feel of the chassis with the most flex, one race though I actually got to a point where it wanted to lift if I even touched a curb though, which was not good. I have been using the softer bottom plate with a harder top deck for a good balance.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #4734
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
So in other words, I'll probably 'never' need to worry about having to change chassis.

And my Photon did get ordered last night, so with any luck I'll have it within a week, then it's just a case of buying the running parts, and figuring out the setups, may get it on track in 2-3 weeks, but that feels ages away now I say it.


Electric is easier for me vs nitro. So fewer mechanical issues to deal with. But i have had more problems in electric over the past three months than i have combined since i started racing back in 94. It seems current technology isnt without its headaches. But when its working right, ohhh is it ohh soo right! lol

Take your time with the car... slow on the bench is fast on the track.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Honestly saying that you won't notice a difference isn't true. If your surface is low to mid traction you will notice a difference at any skill level...
Agreed. Most people would notice a difference. But at the same hand, why throw $ at something that you really dont need? I mean if you have it try it... but so many people get caught up throwing $$ at the hobby, because people tell them they need to have this and that, that they end up forgetting that stick time is the best hop-up.
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #4735
Tech Addict
 
hana166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 677
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I would say build the car with the chassis it came with. Try to push the cars ability/setup and get each lap within a few tenths of each other. (easy to do in practice, HARD to do in quals, and even HARDER to do in the main)

Once you have achieved that consistency, feel you have tapped the potential of the car, and you are still middle of the A with your average lap time off by several tenths to theirs... then try a different chassis.

Trust me, you really dont need to have all the newest and greatest parts to be competitive. You only need them if you want to guarantee consistent winning.
Best post I've read in ages.

Regularly down to 0.4 in the quals but cannot get my head straight in the mains. Problem exists between floor and transmitter lol
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 AM   #4736
Tech Addict
 
hana166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 677
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Trying out different rides at present after many months on Mi4LP. Looking to master set up and preparation skills in order to make the most consistent handling car I can.
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #4737
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
Trying out different rides at present after many months on Mi4LP. Looking to master set up and preparation skills in order to make the most consistent handling car I can.
forget that carpet racing nonsense Get outdoors hehe
__________________
CPD Racing
chris_dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #4738
Tech Elite
 
GeorgePravata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brooklyn New York GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!!!!
Posts: 3,356
Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)
Default

RC Market anything with the gear diffs.
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED,REEDY POWER, AKA, TQ WIRES, SILLYBOYZ PRODUCTS.
GeorgePravata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #4739
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 763
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Who is making the gear diff, and when is it suppose to be available?
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #4740
Tech Elite
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu
Default

Who need a lightest weight spur gear ?? XENON
__________________
Give the best while u can !
kschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:31 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net