R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #4456
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgePravata View Post
what is the different in the new shock VS the old shock everything looks like to same in my new kit. The new shocks look just like the old shock with all the parts. Some help would be nice. I have 2 kits I must take a look at the 2nd kit to see the shocks. What did they change on the new shocks
Hey George!

The shocks look similar but when measured, there are slight differences. The original ones leaked a bit... and changing O-rings sometimes helped.

The newer ones are way better!! The shaft guide at the bottom is white now, which is updated.( less leak at the bottom) The original is black. The newer ones, when built should have really good smooth travel.. I still apply "GREEN SLIME" to mine. Props to TOP for listening to RACERS and making improvements!! V2 shocks... awesome!

See ya at the Memorial Day Race!

Arv.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #4457
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can use other brand name O-Ring
Yokomo or HPI
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #4458
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
hi robbie

i guess u dont want my suggestion for the steering issue
No thankyou Graham...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmo View Post
Hey Robbie,

In 10.5 I have same issues, although just made a couple of changes which seem promising - all seem to give more mid corner steering:

1. Sway bars, 1.4 front & 1.2 rear.
2. Radial ackerman 9mm, middle position in centre, forward on steering blocks
3. Shock position on tower - front 4, rear 3

Some anti-squat in the rear should give more steering on & off power.
Will try next time out.

Cheers

Alan
Thanks for that alan, strange about the sway bars you're using though???

Playing with anti-squat etc was next on my list, so i'll be sure to try that out.

How did you find the radial ackerman changed the handling?... i run the middle position but 10 insert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
It's hard to gauge what is going on when you only post like 4 things about your setup. If you post full setups I may be able to make some suggestions.

Also anyone with the old shocks be sure to check the inserts in the bottom of the shocks and also the orings. They may be binding and causing weird handling issues. This is super important.
Larry,

I mentioned i ran the kit set-up, and the things listed were what i had changed different to kit.

I am running the original shocks though, so perhaps there is something going on there, however it doesnt seem like an abnormal handling issue... it just lacks steering! lol, severly!

Have any of you guys played around with flex much?... i like using the u-braces as an option at times but i've also had good results with the 'medium' upper deck. Curious as to anyone elses findings.

Also, do you guys still run the standard front lower suspension mount?... we've played around with running hole 1 on the front arms, which has had good and bad results and different tracks.

Cheers

Robbie

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #4459
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray racer View Post

Thanks for that alan, strange about the sway bars you're using though???

Playing with anti-squat etc was next on my list, so i'll be sure to try that out.

How did you find the radial ackerman changed the handling?... i run the middle position but 10 insert.
Hi Robbie,

Yeah ... odd but the stiffer front bar seems to give more mid-corner steering. Maybe cause there would be less body roll in front than rear, so more load on outside front tyre - therefore more mid corner steering?
Also, front ride may height stay lower at front (more weight transfer to front).

Radial ackerman 9 generally felt more responsive and made more steering, notably on power. I previusly used 10, prefer 9 so far.

Also, springs. I'm using 324 front, softer than kit - 344.

Cheers

Alan

TOP Photon EX 17.5 + TOP Photon EX 21.5 + TOP Rebel F1 21.5

ORCA | Tekin RS Pro | Tekin Gen 2 RPM | Ko Pro-Po | EPIC Trinity
mazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #4460
Tech Elite

Hi Guys,
Sorry that there is still some confusion about the current kit, it's understandable considering all the changes. Stiltskin got everything right except that the 6 cell chassis that comes in the kit along with the new lipo chassis is the 2.5 rubber chassis, the same one that came in the old rubber kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
The New TOP Photon Int'l LTD Edition Kit ,
Isn't ready release ( end of this month ) !
US had buy a new Lipo Chassis repack to sale !
Not true. the Int'l Ltd Edition Kit is released, in fact we have already sold out of the latest batch here at TOP USA (like Tony said, the stickers on the box are different). Some hobby dealers did not recieve any of the new kits because they all went to the T.O.P. distributors world-wide. Our next batch (this time a big one!) will be in around the end of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$$... View Post
Without seeming to be kicking a dead horse here, and i now realise that the intl ed comes with extra susp parts and both chassis plates... but as far as the actual kit is concerned, is there two versions of the Photon kit? rubber vs foam? and if so can anyone help me out and actually let me know the differences. Are all the molded peices of the same hardness??? is it just a different chassis and top deck??? differentials different??? no spool or one-way???
T.O.P. is no longer making a seperate Foam Kit. There is so little interest in foam racing world wide that it doesn't make sense to package them. The Int'l Ltd Edition kit is a basically a rubber kit, but all of the parts to make a foam car are still available, including the new Super-Stiff Lipo chassis, a re-designed foam top deck, and all of the other parts that were previously available to make the car stiffer.

The hardness of the molded pieces has not changed, but there is something new coming

The latest kit is more than just a new chassis and top deck, it also includes the new top deck screws and the new shocks.

The kit comes with a spool. A complete diff set is available seperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
its only been confirmed that the US int'l ed kits come with extra suspension parts. Dont know about HK or anywhere else. But doesnt matter where you get the int'l ed kits, it will obviously come with 2 chassis's.

and yes amain have sold all their 12 kits or so in just 2 days.
Let's clear this up: T.O.P. makes the Int'l Ltd Edition kit, after we recieve them here in the USA, we (TOP USA) put the extra suspension parts in the kit and add the "USA Spec" sticker. The USA Spec Kit is only available to our dealers in the USA or Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
You can use other brand name O-Ring
Yokomo or HPI
But why would you?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #4461
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmo View Post
Hi Robbie,

Yeah ... odd but the stiffer front bar seems to give more mid-corner steering. Maybe cause there would be less body roll in front than rear, so more load on outside front tyre - therefore more mid corner steering?
Also, front ride may height stay lower at front (more weight transfer to front).

Radial ackerman 9 generally felt more responsive and made more steering, notably on power. I previusly used 10, prefer 9 so far.

Also, springs. I'm using 324 front, softer than kit - 344.

Cheers

Alan
Alan,

Oh well there you go, i'll have to try that next time, still bizarre though!

But i like the sound of the ackerman insert, i'll put that on my to-try list.

I've tried softer springs at the front, but i seemed to find the car 'lulling' around too much, or so it seemed, but in saying that i saw a photon on the weekend with HPI Silvers all around, which are close to the kit rear springs, so perhaps not.

I generally run the carbon U-brace in the rear as it seems to rotate better in tighter corners, but there is still something lacking in mid-exit steering.

Cheers

Robbie

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #4462
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So, if you can run the HPI orings, how about the HPI shock shafts? The reason i ask is I'd like to run the shock on a pan car and I run a long shaft in my HPI's now. But, I'm always looking for something better. What is the length (in mm) of the Top shaft, and can you get longer ones? Right now I'm running a 36mm HPI.
jdearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #4463
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I seem to keep stripping out the set screw that goes in the steering block. Any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #4464
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
I seem to keep stripping out the set screw that goes in the steering block. Any suggestions?
Dont overtighten it. Its not holding the hinge pin in by being tight the grooved part is holding it in. Just tighten it till it touches the pin.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #4465
Tech Elite

Quote:
Dont overtighten it. Its not holding the hinge pin in by being tight the grooved part is holding it in. Just tighten it till it touches the pin.
I guess you gotta set it just right. I either leave em too loose and they come apart during a race or a pull the set screw out. I need a torque spec and torque wrench.

I'll try putting some loc-tite on it.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #4466
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll just say it since Q or someone else hasn't posted it.

Thanks for a wonderful Top Gun Challenge race this past weekend. I had a blast racing and meeting all of the TOP guys that came down.

I look forward to another race of this type in the future. And for those that cancelled because of the rain forecast... Nothing ever hit the ground. )

Except for that barrel roll I did in the last race in 17.5 Limited. )
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #4467
Tech Elite

I couldn't stand the belts the way they are. So I ground the chassis down a bit to make the diffs fit. So the belts are flipped and I was able to move everything a lot closer to the middle. Car balances perfectly as you see it with no weights added.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #4468
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

That may balance perfectly but how much does it weigh? Its probably grossly under weight with it like that, correct?

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #4469
Tech Elite

Quote:
That may balance perfectly but how much does it weigh? Its probably grossly under weight with it like that, correct?
I don't have a scale, but I bet it is. I don't doubt that. I do have the option of putting weights where ever I want.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #4470
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default balance

It may balance left and right but not corner to corner.the left front is way light like that i will be weighing one and laying it out for the reedy race this week i will post what i find.
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote