R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #3631
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
If that was the case, then you should of brought yours so we could see it in person to judge the car for what is was worth when you came down.
If there was a race the following Sat....I would have

It was bittersweet seeing all my old race buddies, we plan on moving back to SA in aug 2012
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #3632
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii View Post
Dear T.O.P. Racing USA,

Just a few suggestion for your Web site...
...Have a nice day!
Thank you for these great suggestions. We've talked about doing most of them but it takes time. The YouTube idea is a really good one that we overlooked. We want anyone who purchases a Photon, or any T.O.P. product for that matter, to have the best experience possible.

The reality is that TOP USA, at this time, is two people. Two guys who love RC racing, and we are pretty busy just doing the basics. We will institute other ideas as time permits, as we grow. Thanks to all the customers who have stood by us through all the growing pains. We know everybody says this but we really value our core customers, you guys are the greatest!

You will be seeing more information in the form of press releases about new products in the coming months. There are new car designs in the works as well as new option parts for the Photon.

Stay tuned!

OD
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #3633
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagofSkill View Post
I built my diff new in October last year with ceramic balls, sanded rings on 1000 wet and dry and tamiya greases and it's been the best diff I've ever had. So good it's never needed a rebuild after running just about every weekend on carpet with 13.5.
That's 5 months on the same diff and it's still golden! I can't believe it!
+1....I have been used to rebuilding diffs between meets and sometimes during.not the case with a TOP diff its a "TOP" Knotch bit of kit,the only diff that comes close to it in my book is the Xray unit but the TOP diff is still light years ahead,lots smoother!!

I have tried various greases with out any slipping probs,even a lite/thin (Tamiya)grease in "arctic" conditions and thick "gooie" grease in the heat.

If I was to have a slight moan it would be some diff rings can be a little distorted (poor pressing??) and need lots of working to flatten(perhaps a bad batch in my neck of the woods). The Cyclone TC pro diff rings are identical and seem to be flatter and need a lot less work.

Last edited by lesbaldry; 02-19-2010 at 02:35 AM.
lesbaldry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #3634
Tech Regular

Yeah, for sure the standard diff rings needed ALOT of work on my car, but I'm blown away by the performance now. I've raced Corrally, Tamiya, Schumacher and Xray, but no-ones diff comes close for durability or how open you can run it without slip.
BagofSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 AM   #3635
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii View Post
Dear T.O.P. Racing USA,

Just a few suggestion for your Web site:

1. List all the updates that have been made to the car since it's release.

Yes please TOP!!!

I don't care if it's USA, UK or Japan offices but PLEASE, someone, somewhere write (and update) just a single web page that lists the specification of current kits, ie rubber kits come with Alloy bones, available chassis options and most importantly, new/option parts like the new layshaft, alloy suspension holders, recent top deck etc.

My current source is trawling through RCmarkets photon spare parts list and it isn't ideal because the pictures aren't always great and there are no descriptions.

I don't have any team drivers near me and in fact mine is the only photon in our club/area, so a little bit of information would go a long way!

Stuff like never having an official guide to diff spring setup is quite weak really.

The tchub is a great resource with some info like the ackerman chart, setups and tips, but I think TOP needs to do something in an offical capacity.

And about the you tube channel- check out what Team Durango have done with that- or the redRC build guides with Jilles Groskamp: video here. It doesn't need to be hard or complicated.
BagofSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #3636
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Yes please TOP!!!

I don't have any team drivers near me and in fact mine is the only photon in our club/area, so a little bit of information would go a long way!
Thats a shame ,Where in Bucks are you? Its a bloody big county

Mark Townsend "TOP team" Runs at Yeatly club

Weather permiting myself and one other will be testing at west Londons club day this weekend....this track will test your diff...low grip but very technical to drive! suits the Photon!!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #3637
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Alum. Steering Block & Rear Hub released !
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-top-po-psu008rd.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-top-po-psu009rd.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #3638
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Here is my ride ready for sunday
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-2010-02-18-21.53.34.jpg  
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #3639
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Here is my ride ready for sunday
Same exact paint as AdamD who drives a Photon here at Village Raceway
Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #3640
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post
Same exact paint as AdamD who drives a Photon here at Village Raceway
Well I guess great minds think alike I will see him on sunday
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #3641
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

what's m-technic doing here.......

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #3642
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
Alum. Steering Block & Rear Hub released !

the option alu steering blocks give greater steering throw...
TOP Photon // LRP SXX TC Spec // LRP X12 4.0T // IP 5000mah 50C // Spektrum DX3R
Sponsor: My good self...
katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #3643
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok my Photon is all ready to go Thailand TITC. New Paint and New hubs. Whose going thailand too??? Will be testing out the new hubs tomorrow. Hope it feels good.
e-mail: officialracing@gmail.com
Official is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #3644
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Photon

Quote:
Yes please TOP!!!

I don't care if it's USA, UK or Japan offices but PLEASE, someone, somewhere write (and update) just a single web page that lists the specification of current kits, ie rubber kits come with Alloy bones, available chassis options and most importantly, new/option parts like the new layshaft, alloy suspension holders, recent top deck etc.

My current source is trawling through RCmarkets photon spare parts list and it isn't ideal because the pictures aren't always great and there are no descriptions.

Stuff like never having an official guide to diff spring setup is quite weak really.

The tchub is a great resource with some info like the ackerman chart, setups and tips, but I think TOP needs to do something in an offical capacity.

And about the you tube channel- check out what Team Durango have done with that- or the redRC build guides with Jilles Groskamp: video here. It doesn't need to be hard or complicated.
Hi,

Sorry, I can only speak for the UK and I guess things may be different in other countries.

We have information on any adaptations to the UK kits on the website here that may help you. I can't speak for the other countries as they may have products to adapt to their own markets.

As for new option parts, I'm not familiar with the RC markets you mention but new option parts we have available in the Uk are listed here too. There is a section for 'option parts' and one for 'standard parts'. Any new parts 'coming soon' will show on the home page here

The only parts I know of not mentioned that will be in-stock next week are the alloy suspension inserts.

The guys at TOP did create a lot of the official documents like the Ackerman charts. As for set-up, the car just won the Carpet Thrashnals series 10.5t in the UK (well done to Tom Green) but some of the chassis option parts, ie. top deck and wings, that were used differ to the guy that came 2nd in 17.5 class (well done to Terry Crew). Again, different parts were used on the car that came 5th in 13.5t (well done to David Allen). I think the set-up will be more consistent outdoors but people seem to be getting good results from using anything from a standard out of the box car (well done to Jordan McKulsky with a 1st at Maritime a few weeks ago) to using a rubber asphalt car with foam top deck and wing parts as per Tom's car mentioned above. I guess the drivers in HK, USA, Japan and other parts of Europe will use different set-ups again. I think there would be such a magnitude of information available if there was one official TOP site and that's probably the reason why a lot of drivers use local forums, blogs and websites for their country.

We set up a forum to contact any of the UK drivers - if you google RC Racechat you will find it and they should be able to assist with any specifics.

There's also an official TOP European drivers website and forum too - link can be found here.

Hope this helps a little.

Keith.
keithander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #3645
Tech Regular

hi, has any one on here changed cars from a t2009 to a photon , im thinking about buying one but i not sure if its going to be any better . what are peoples thoughts on this?

thanks