Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GLITTER LIDZ
Ricks panties just got wet......again!
Naw, old news about the photon.... Just waiting for the car to be available...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a real nice picture from snowbirds and some spy shots from cleveland that were up on rc50.com for all of 2 days before I got a fun pm from josh to remove them. all this secrecey and 200 dozen people have seen it. just waiting for the scoop.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
I have a real nice picture from snowbirds and some spy shots from cleveland that were up on rc50.com for all of 2 days before I got a fun pm from josh to remove them. all this secrecey and 200 dozen people have seen it. just waiting for the scoop.
and you listen toe Josh?
you may send them to me if you want. i won't post them.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by seaball
it's not a car that will blow you away with ingenuity, persay. the brilliance is in the logic. for example, the ackermann is adjustable but it won't change the steering speed or the end points in doing so. is that exciting? it is if you realize that most racers don't grasp kinematics very well. it also means that when you 'test ackermann', you're not inadvertently testing 5 other changes.

i've seen this car repeatedly at all the northeast grand slam races. (incidentally, josh won pro touring for the series with this car). in my opinion, it only catches your eye if you understand the idiosyncracies of most tc's. i think josh and top have found a way for this car to stay adjustable enough for the seasoned pro, without causing headaches and additional spending responsibilities for the average racer.

therein lies the brilliance. mark my words, it's at the top of the list in raw, solid functionality.

here's picture of the car from the ngs races:
- petar stoyanov

(oh c'mon, that's funny, and you know it!)
That was Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So funny I had to tip off Josh, he had to wait for me to stop laughing so I could tell him though. Maybe...and It's a big maybe I'll see you at the NAt's Chris. I'm not sure I can take just watching any more races
Old 03-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
That has been whats annoyed so many people, fair enough they have a new toy that they want to unveil in their own special mental way, but if thats the case why let every nugget at every veggie race they attend paw the car and get detailed descriptions on the innovations of the car. To me it just sounds like JC is on an ego trip, looking for praise in person, and when he finally allows info out to the general (Paying) public, to be applauded as a design genius.

I hope it is good, and is successful, TOP was getting quite a roll in Australia, but with the delays and secret squirrel stuff being employed, most have switched to other brands.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Maybe Josh doesn't want to give xray extra time to get the tooling for the t2010 ready
Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Besercoe
That has been whats annoyed so many people, fair enough they have a new toy that they want to unveil in their own special mental way, but if thats the case why let every nugget at every veggie race they attend paw the car and get detailed descriptions on the innovations of the car. To me it just sounds like JC is on an ego trip, looking for praise in person, and when he finally allows info out to the general (Paying) public, to be applauded as a design genius.

I hope it is good, and is successful, TOP was getting quite a roll in Australia, but with the delays and secret squirrel stuff being employed, most have switched to other brands.
You needn't be so negative, nobody at TOP wants to harm you First of all, its the factory that doesn't want us to post pics of the car, not Josh. There will be an "unveiling" by an rc publication soon. The Photon's availability has not been witheld, its just not ready to ship yet. Believe me, we would love to be selling the kit like yesterday
Old 03-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So when will it be available? Any pre-orders allowed?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
So when will it be available? Any pre-orders allowed?

''hey Jr. wanna see my Photon'' sorry Rick....I just had to do it!
Old 03-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

The car is pretty impressive.
Some very nice features and love the Lipo friendly layout.
Have some Cad drawings and i am sure the guys will be happy with it.
Pics and details will be posted here and on RedRc in a few weeks.
The scoop will be first released by Xtreme Rc Magazine by arrangement so unfortunately we have to wait a little longer for actual pics.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by razzor
The car is pretty impressive.
Some very nice features and love the Lipo friendly layout.
Have some Cad drawings and i am sure the guys will be happy with it.
Pics and details will be posted here and on RedRc in a few weeks.
The scoop will be first released by Xtreme Rc Magazine by arrangement so unfortunately we have to wait a little longer for actual pics.
This pictures?

Have a nice day
Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Wow, the CAD draw of this chassis is awesome, how much is estimated?
Since now my choice is between Photon and Yokomo BD5, both of them are really awesome, i just received from pictures of somebody taken in last year, the Top guys are running TRF416 rather than their Scythe, then i understand why, the Photon is just its copy, which usually happened between different brands.

About the request of my friend i want to ask if Scythe is still in market and how much after Photon is released, should be cheaper than now?
Just because he just want to buy a cheap but competitive chassis, he doesn't care if is outdated or not!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Besercoe - No ego trip here, trust me. I wanted to unveil the car a long time ago but it was not my decision. Also, everyone has to keep in mind that I joined TOP at the Snowbirds in 2008 (just over 1 year ago). This car was designed and producted in less than one year as I didn't really start on it until after the Carpet Nats. I haven't seen any other mfg out there turn over a project like that in such short time (non-pan car). A lot of props to Vincent and everyone at TOP Racing for making this a reality so quickly.

As far as the pictures, so much for the press releases we were working on...lol...

mac853 - The price I am not sure but I know we were shooting to be at/around the TC5 but include the aluminum differentials in the kits. The TOP guys weren't running 415's or 416's. In Hong Kong, a lot of their drivers like the blue annodizing (I though they had Tamiya's also) but they are a small run batch of Scythe's that were Tamiya blue anodized. We spoke about the Photon being blue like this but to copy the Tamiya blue I think would only hurt the image rather than let it stand on it's own.

As far as the Photon being a copy of a Tamiya...lol... Not even close. Everything is different than a Tamiya car - get one and you can check all the measurements. Once we get a chance to post our press release (as it should have been), we will explain all the features and details so that everyone wouldn't just jump on the "it's a copy"....
Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Looks like a nice car and the idea to make it lipo friendly can only win more fans, but I would like to see the weight under the battery is possible rather than to the side. The way it appears at the moment it doesn't really mark any advance from the current situation when everybody is taping extra weight to the side of their lipos.

Last edited by niznai; 05-26-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

niznai - The weight tray on the side is to balance the weight left to right. The tray is molded and angled to sit below the top of the chassis and angled so it doesn't touch the track when the car rolls or leans in a corner. The weight sits below the top of the chassis and can be changed easily depending on the pack. The other bonus to this is that you don't have to run as much weight to balance the car which allows the car to be right down on the legal limit. Additionally, unless you are gluing your weights to each lipo pack, the weight trays that sit in the battery slots that others use actually raise the CG of the car since they raise the pack up as well. Taping the weight to the side of the pack again raises the CG so really this is just a nice, clean way of doing everything that's needed along with acting like a guard/locator for the Lipo and lowers the CG.... Seems like a simple advance to me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.