Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 11-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

My Carpet rubber car is a box stock foam car with a spool and the outer part of the wings disconnected. When I ran the rubber chassis it had too much flex and would actually try to traction roll.

Originally Posted by AndysD8
All we run around here is indoor carpet, rubber tires. I had just heard and not sure if there is any truth to it, that out of the box the rubber spec is great on asphalt but not so much on carpet. For those running the rubber spec on carpet, what wing and top deck are you using? I'm just curious how a out of the box foam edition, with a spool does with rubber on carpet. If I'm getting on anyones nerves with all the questions, I apologize! Just want to make the right choice with my first "new" car!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Car was good today but I've still got work to do. I think the chassis flexes too much on the carpet and causes a very aggressive feel. I didn't get to play with shock fluids today, but I will by this weekend. Car did come around pretty good throughout the day, I just need to calm it down a little. Overall good day with the car.
Try the setup I posted with Long camber links 393 front springs and a 1.4 mm front swaybar.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gitsum
You could go either direction really. If you plan on just doing rubber indoors and out get the rubber kit. If you might do some foam and rubber get the foam kit. Keep in mind if you use the foam kit in rubber it is stiff which in turn can make the car edgy. Either way you can't go wrong as there are very good setups for both already to be had.
that's what scares me, the foam chassis stiffness! I know I had a t2 with a bmi chassis and it was just to stiff to be competitive with rubber tires. At least for me it was as I'm still new to onroad and there's so much more to setup then offroad nitro!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All we run around here is indoor carpet, rubber tires. I had just heard and not sure if there is any truth to it, that out of the box the rubber spec is great on asphalt but not so much on carpet. For those running the rubber spec on carpet, what wing and top deck are you using? I'm just curious how a out of the box foam edition, with a spool does with rubber on carpet. If I'm getting on anyones nerves with all the questions, I apologize! Just want to make the right choice with my first "new" car!

Ask away this is what this thread is for. Me personally I run the thin 2.0 lipo chassis with stiff top deck and medium wings on my rubber car. I never built mine with the stock chassis so I can't comment on the handling difference. I feel my car is good and carries a ton of speed but I am in no way box stock. MRrcguy would be the one to ask I believe he has run just about every configuration under the sun from box stock to hoped up. Larry and Jason will probably chime in as well.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Ask away this is what this thread is for. Me personally I run the thin 2.0 lipo chassis with stiff top deck and medium wings on my rubber car. I never built mine with the stock chassis so I can't comment on the handling difference. I feel my car is good and carries a ton of speed but I am in no way box stock. MRrcguy would be the one to ask I believe he has run just about every configuration under the sun from box stock to hoped up. Larry and Jason will probably chime in as well.
Thanks! Hopefully in the near future I can buy all I need to get the car where it will need to be, but with Christmas coming up it's hard enough to pull off getting the car. So, any advice on which of the 2 photons would be better out of the box for rubber on carpet except for getting a spool should I get the foam edition would be much appreciated! From what it sounds like either would be great but people have got to have a preference!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Try the setup I posted with Long camber links 393 front springs and a 1.4 mm front swaybar.
Thanks Larry. I did try your rubber tire setup (minus the 2.5 chassis) and the rear would not stay in. We're still racing asphalt, so I'm just trying to find a carpet setup in my free time. I'll be getting the 2.5 lipo chassis as soon as they get them back in stock and I think that should take care of the car's nervousness. Props to you and Jason on your runs at the Gate. The cars both looked real good.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Any idea as to why when I try to view some of the setup sheets listed on here all that comes up is a photon modifiable sheet?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Honestly the cars are going so fast now Micheal at TOP is having a hay day keeping up. Cars are going out as soon as they come in. I personally would get a foam car and a spool. My car probably has more flex and bite then anyone on here which is awesome on a green track. When bite comes up I lose a bit of ground because of the flex but is still workable.
As for the setup sheets they all seem to pull up fine for me but i open and save them thru Windows IE.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

So... This is the T.O.P forum. I got to say the car is awsome. The car gets better every time I race. I like to see people driving the car.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Honestly the cars are going so fast now Micheal at TOP is having a hay day keeping up. Cars are going out as soon as they come in. I personally would get a foam car and a spool. My car probably has more flex and bite then anyone on here which is awesome on a green track. When bite comes up I lose a bit of ground because of the flex but is still workable.
As for the setup sheets they all seem to pull up fine for me but i open and save them thru Windows IE.
Other then the spool, what other changes did you find necessary on the foam car?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Foam Photon

Can anyone post a set-up running foam tires with the foam kit.Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The car I ran at the Classic is basically a foam car with a 2.5 mm lipo chassis and a spool with the posts not on the wings.

Schreff's was similar but he had the stock foam chassis on his car also so it was about as close to a stock foam car as you could get with a spool.

Haywood you should give the foam setup I posted a couple pages back a try.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Other then the spool, what other changes did you find necessary on the foam car?
Only thing I changed on mine from the box stock car was I used the medium wings on mine and a spool otherwise my foam kit bone stock.
Again regardless of what car you go with def look for Larrys setups. I have tried them all and his are some of the best for 13.5 and 10.5. If you plan to run 17.5 give Quinton' (MrRCGuy) setup a look and try.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Since his debut in Italy in July, I won with the photon both national titles in the category 10.5 rubber
in the coming days I will insert the sheets of setup used and all supporting info that might be useful

the car is a rocket

Forgive my English
Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Nice work! Look forward to seeing your setup. Hopefully the TOP oz team will have a good showing at our nats next weekend

If anyone is looking for setups I've got pretty much every setup ever posted here on my site www.tchub.info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.