Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

when are the photo's coming of the car that will be produced?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm sure those will come from EJ or TOP directly. The cars that EJ and I currently have are still the pre-production prototypes. The production cars have a few small changes (like the CAD data) but unless you had the prototype and the production next to each other it's hard to notice the differences.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
+1!

But remember, when it comes to Xray, you are getting "Optimized" performance... *cough*. Corally has some high quality parts and their fit and finish, ease of tuning, and solid setup is very well worth the money in my opinion.

But yeah, I really hope TOP Racing has very good parts support here in the US. This car looks like a tough competitor to the Tamiya 416. I hope CEFX makes some nice upgrades to the car as well. With Josh Cyrul behind the brand, we can be rest assured we got a great contender approaching the ring.
See this is why I said this car will be garbage at the beginning, only one thing has been optimized.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
I'm sure those will come from EJ or TOP directly. The cars that EJ and I currently have are still the pre-production prototypes. The production cars have a few small changes (like the CAD data) but unless you had the prototype and the production next to each other it's hard to notice the differences.
The top plate is different and that's good to see

I hope there were some photo's as the mi4 now has.
I will not say what i find of that car. Got on a Dutch forum already a lot of comment when i wrote that it looks like the mi3 with a different motor mound.

A club member has bought a TOP Scythe with some updates on it and full allu.
He tested it last wensday. after 2 changes on the setup he has chosen for the TOP above his 2 mi3's. He will race this sunday with a TOP and his mi3's, I think that they will be sold.
An old car still beads the younger mi3
He wants the Photon as he has sold his 2 mi3's
To convince him that the TOP better is than a mi3 was not so hard.
I just let him drive with a TOP and helpt him with the setup.
After 1 battery he was positive but after changing the setup a bit, he was very positive.
And now the mi4 lol. almost all the drivers that hath a mi3 has sold him and drives now an other brand and find the other car much better.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
The top plate is different and that's good to see

I hope there were some photo's as the mi4 now has.
I will not say what i find of that car. Got on a Dutch forum already a lot of comment when i wrote that it looks like the mi3 with a different motor mound.

A club member has bought a TOP Scythe with some updates on it and full allu.
He tested it last wensday. after 2 changes on the setup he has chosen for the TOP above his 2 mi3's. He will race this sunday with a TOP and his mi3's, I think that they will be sold.
An old car still beads the younger mi3
He wants the Photon as he has sold his 2 mi3's
To convince him that the TOP better is than a mi3 was not so hard.
I just let him drive with a TOP and helpt him with the setup.
After 1 battery he was positive but after changing the setup a bit, he was very positive.
And now the mi4 lol. almost all the drivers that hath a mi3 has sold him and drives now an other brand and find the other car much better.
hahahahha....bro, that's how i end up with my TOP Scythe now.

mine actully a second hand chassis but very new that the owner use only a few time in competition, that owner had 2 chassis, TOP Scythe and a Xray, he's a champion lever RC car drifter. he's my mentor in RC car drifting.

he wanted to let go 1 of it so he let me test both, end up i choose TOP Scythe cos i really feel this chassis are very smooth to drift. by that time i'm using TT01.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

www.rcracing2.com has a nice spyshot of the car without a battery for those of you who want a better look.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
when are the photo's coming of the car that will be produced?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

I'm assuming this is Josh' foam car in the pic
Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Josh, what KO servo do you recommend for the car? rubber, carpet mostly
Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Hen - KoPropo 2367 is all I run in TC these days.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

have you guys done any crash test?? i worry about chassis tweak from the little top plates connecting the bulkheads.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by over gear
have you guys done any crash test?? i worry about chassis tweak from the little top plates connecting the bulkheads.
over gear, I go through a comprehensive crash test of the car every time I hit the track.

I always try to be unbiased in my opinions…but take this for what it’s worth. Before the very first part was drawn, this was a concern (as I’m sure it is with all TC manufacturers). Josh had some ideas of combating this and integrated it into the design. The car is actually one of the most resistant to tweak that I have driven. I think this has something to do with the shock towers mounting directly to the bulkheads. Josh can answer the technical questions; I can only tell you what I experience from driving the car.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by over gear

If they really wanted to crash test the car EJ would have had Josh send prototypes to a guy named Rich out here
Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trust me, it's been well crash tested...lol... Ask Lemieux when I was trying to run the sweeper too hard at the Novak Race (after the race, testing) and I hit the inside and then slammed the outside. Then, at Mimi's I killed a Trans Am car on the straight that swerved in front of me when I thought he was going the other way - end over end into a concrete wall where I sheered a 3mm hinge pin off in the front arm!! Yep, the arm is still on the car today.....

Honestly, tweaking was a major concern and that's why we used the double 2.5mm screws. The "wings" (as they were named early) actually key into the bulkhead so we haven't seen any tweaking from them as they are in a smaller/tight area. I am sure with any hard impact a car will tweak but hopefully we've done all the little tricks to try and keep it from happening.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mimis is surely a true test of a cars durability. If it survived that it is very durable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.