R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #1966
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I just had the 416 out to poach some parts and took a look at the ackerman the cars can do side by side. I found the TOP can't quite achieve the same ackerman that the TRF pro drivers run 99% of the time, the closest is forward position with insert 9, but the 416 with 5mm of spacers has even less angle between the wheels. They are different cars so it probably doesn't mean much but I thought that was interesting. I also found the 416 can get a bit more lock
even with the link in the back hole of the steering block?

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #1967
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

I dont know why anyone is worried about the ackerman of a different car.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #1968
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Cause it's fun t do
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #1969
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran a 10.5t (rubber, medium traction) extensively yesterday. I had a lot of build-up on one edge of my chassis. The buildup was about 1cm wide and went the whole length of the edge. Does this mean I should change droop or roll stiffness? Or just keep running it. I ask because I'm wondering how to tell if I've gone too soft on the springs.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #1970
Tech Elite

If the car was handling the way you wanted I wouldnt worry about chassis rub at all. If it seemed to roll to much you could go one stiffer spring all the way around or change roll centers or a host of other things lol.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #1971
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Has anyone got a good setup for rubber on low-med grip asphalt? I've gone the wrong way with my setup and my car both understeers and oversteers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenBeav View Post
even with the link in the back hole of the steering block?
I didn't check that, I might take a look though

Quote:
I don't think anyone is worried, but Josh did mention something about having similar ackerman angles as a 416 so I thought I'd check when I had both cars in front of me. Some might also assume that if the TRF guys run that setting 99% of the time regardless of surface it might be close to "ideal"
Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #1972
Tech Elite

It might be an ideal ackerman for that car. The Photon is a different car with different geometry all around. I dont know how you can compare the 2.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #1973
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there a fool proof technique for removing the rollbar links from the arms? I have a technique, but I'm dangerously close to wounding myself or breaking a plastic part every time I do it.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #1974
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
It might be an ideal ackerman for that car. The Photon is a different car with different geometry all around
Agreed, I thought it was interesting is all... we can move on now
Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #1975
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Is there a fool proof technique for removing the rollbar links from the arms? I have a technique, but I'm dangerously close to wounding myself or breaking a plastic part every time I do it.

I dont understand what you are asking.

If its what I think it is cant you just grab it and push it downward till it pops off?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #1976
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Cause it's fun t do
You are crossing lines.....
aren't you doing purple
Team STPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #1977
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=CraigM;6245281]Has anyone got a good setup for rubber on low-med grip asphalt? I've gone the wrong way with my setup and my car both understeers and oversteers

Use EJ's set up for speedworld. It is awesome in Low, Meduim, and high grip situations. I just adjust the tires only and it is planted. Check back on the thread. Someone may be able to find it for you.
Team STPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #1978
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
I ran a 10.5t (rubber, medium traction) extensively yesterday. I had a lot of build-up on one edge of my chassis. The buildup was about 1cm wide and went the whole length of the edge. Does this mean I should change droop or roll stiffness? Or just keep running it. I ask because I'm wondering how to tell if I've gone too soft on the springs.
I know where you are coming from on this one. I recently found myself questioning how much "chassis rub" I was allowing, and weather or not I could correct the issue without giving up to much grip. I run asphalt not carpet but I dont think that matter at the moment. I was very very happy with the set-up and did not want to change it in any way except to reduce the chassis rub. (this was not a ride height issue as I normally run no less than 5.5 - 5.9 mm ride height on asphalt) So, what I did was go one step stiffer on both the front and rear springs and made no other changes. I feel that I lost no traction what so ever. I was monitoring the rub by placing some battery tape on the edges of the chassis so I would have a fresh surface to review. With the slightly stiffer springs the rub was in fact reduced significantly. I went ahead and shortened the upper links just to the middle hole to which again reduced over all roll but just slightly. There was still more than enough traction even with the stiffer springs and shorter links.

I guess what you can take from this is dont underestimate the amount of traction your Photon is making even if you are running the base set-up. This car just plain makes tons of traction, so you have quite a window of adjustment opportunities.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #1979
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STPN View Post
You are crossing lines.....
aren't you doing purple

I'm purple and I can do what I want. You ever gonna run that red thing any time soon???
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #1980
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey Adam, I know the tight line you where running actually when right against the wall is uneven and not flat, I couldn't hit that spot, and at a 5.5 ride height I had no chassiss puddy, it is probably time to up the springs, or not worry about it, its only grime, but more testing I would think will answer the question.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote