R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #1786
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Yeah, but then you wouldn't get to experience the Kansas Rectangle. See you in 30 years.
But flying would have cost the same, at least now for dustin after our small detour to the shoulder

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #1787
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

anyone know the release date on the foam spec kit?
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #1788
Tech Apprentice

Default rear cvd

Hi

Yesterday I was testing with my photon, I tried to make the rear as narrow as possible, but when I took out all the shims and just leave in the rear 1.6mm the blade of the right side stops against the diff, shall I modify something?

Thank you in advance
Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 AM   #1789
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roedor View Post
Hi

Yesterday I was testing with my photon, I tried to make the rear as narrow as possible, but when I took out all the shims and just leave in the rear 1.6mm the blade of the right side stops against the diff, shall I modify something?

Thank you in advance
searching can sometimes be fun, but in lieu of that TOP make a 43mm dogbone and tamiya a 44

that's pretty narrow at the rear by the way
Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #1790
Tech Adept

The kit I bought last week in the UK had an amendment sheet that says (in my own words)...

If running the rear arms with a lot of toe in, or a lot of camber then reduce the number of washers in the diff from 6 to 4 to prevent the end of the dogbone contacting the diff components. Alternatively, TOP produce a 43.5mm dogbone which will solve the problem.

Would using narrower hubs, or different offset wheels achieve the same thing ?

The standard hex-hubs are 5.2mm IIRC... 4mm ones would give a net effect of reducing rear track by 2.4mm. Not sure how (if) this would be different from moving the suspension pivot points inboard though.

Daniel.
amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #1791
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post

Nope, your still using the same length dogbones and will still hit the diff screw.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #1792
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25 View Post
Nope, your still using the same length dogbones and will still hit the diff screw.
You are, but you will still have the shims in the suspension mounts. In effect, all this does is move the wheel closer to the hub, not alter the length or geometry of the suspension arms.
amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #1793
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:

The standard hex-hubs are 5.2mm IIRC... 4mm ones would give a net effect of reducing rear track by 2.4mm. Not sure how (if) this would be different from moving the suspension pivot points inboard though.

Daniel.
This is a good one I would like to get some feedback on.

What will be the likely result when changing width with wheel spacers and wider hexes rather than doing it inboard at the bulkheads?

Josh? Josh?

Uh,,,,,,,,,, Josh?

Tell me now before I get angry!!!
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #1794
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Shimming at the bulkheads vs. shimming at the wheels will affect the roll centers...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #1795
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

shimming at the bulkhead will change the angle of your shock and also the leverage point, along with a longer camber link. i have found that this actually will make the car smoother and more stable. i have always been told if you can widen a car do it at the bulkheads, or if narrowing the car take away from the hexs or spacers to a point.

TOP Racing - Gravity Rc - Contact tires - KO Propo - Competition Electronics
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #1796
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
This is a good one I would like to get some feedback on.

What will be the likely result when changing width with wheel spacers and wider hexes rather than doing it inboard at the bulkheads?

Josh? Josh?

Uh,,,,,,,,,, Josh?

Tell me now before I get angry!!!
Adding shim at the wheel makes the car wider and more stable but does not affect the suspension as much as making the inner hinge pin farther out. That in fact changes the lower shock position and the roll center.
Big difference.

Last edited by John St.Amant; 08-09-2009 at 06:18 AM.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #1797
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
The kit I bought last week in the UK had an amendment sheet that says (in my own words)...

If running the rear arms with a lot of toe in, or a lot of camber then reduce the number of washers in the diff from 6 to 4 to prevent the end of the dogbone contacting the diff components. Alternatively, TOP produce a 43.5mm dogbone which will solve the problem.

Daniel.
You can remove some of the spring cone washers for sure, but the length of the screw can be an issue too, and if your screw is protruding past your diff nut, you may want to grind the end down a little bit.

shorter swingshafts are a good option to have handy regardless of what you want to do with the shims. I keep a set of 44mm Tamiya swingshafts in my Photon box (since I had them) as a just-in-case.

The VTA Photon! (Inactive - back to the Kawada!)
http://vtaphoton.blogspot.com/
Thirtybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #1798
Tech Master

Wow... You guys are killing me.....

Changing the spacers inside/outside does not change leverage... The shock position is the shock position on the suspension arm (point of instance). It will change the shock angle to the tower....

Shims at the bulkhead w/narrow hex - Slightly longer camber link, slightly increased shock angle and outer hinge pin position closer to center line/contact patch of the tire - Usually generates less contact patch/tire scrub which allows the rear tires to work easier and generate more grip. The car will be smoother, more rear traction (especially in the center of the corner) and the rear tires should overheat less in high temp or high load conditions.

Less shims at the bulkhead w/wide hex or shims - Of course, opposite as above. Makes the car more aggressive and loads the tire contact patch harder which can make the car over rotate in the center of the corner.

There's always a balance to this to generate steering vs rear grip. In 1/8 gas racing it can make a huge difference to the rear tire wear. I personally always try to run as narrow rear hexes as possible and then try to make the car steer. If it won't steer, wider rear hexes are a last resort.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #1799
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
If it won't steer, wider rear hexes are a last resort.
Are TOP planning some thinner hexes? I tried tamiya 4mm hexes but the pin doesn't sit as deep as it does in the kit ones so you need to shim them a lot to take up the play, in doing so you lose half of the millimeter you saved
Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #1800
Tech Master

CraigM - I've requested them mainly because of the difference in off-sets between all the rims. If you measure between the TOP or Tamiya rims, they will make the car the most narrow but as you work through different rims and especially into the foam tire rims I found that you would need as narrow as a 4-3.5mm hex to keep the overall width the same. Of course in the rear this is ok but in the front it can create some clearance issues with the rim spokes on the suspension arm. I think they will make a 4mm hex at some point but I think that will wait until we are 100% that there won't be a clearance issue...