R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #1621
Tech Adept
 
hungoverracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In B.F.E.
Posts: 110
Default

Had a great day of racing. First real TC race with new car. All errors that i encountered were because of operator error when putting this car together. The Photon is truely a awesome car indeed. Came in first in the novice race today. I can count on more wins with this car. Thanks T.O.P.
__________________
AKA "Billybob"
Billybob racing
T.O.P., Team Check Point, Futaba And were I spend all my time at Mid America RC Raceway , Jonesboro, AR
hungoverracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #1622
Regional Moderator
 
mrrcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jonesboro Akansas
Posts: 3,157
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

It was yet another impressive day for the Photon here in the middle of nowhere.

I continue to be extremely impressed with this car. Its so easy to drive fast and if it ever starts to get a little sketchy corrections are so easy. The guys I run with at my home track used to run quite a bit closer when I ran my former car, but more I run the Photon the father away other brands are getting.

I set the track record today with a time that was more than six tenths faster than any other car in the "A". The best part the was the consistency. My fast lap was 18.861 and my average was 18.990! And no there was not some super short first lap factored in there.

I still have had ZERO spool or drive cup issues and I now have over 70 packs on the car. Anyone having any spool issue with their Photon please just do a search of my post's in this thread to read my tips on the issue. Or feel free to give me a ring at my shop during the week 870-933-0479. Ask for Q.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #1623
Tech Elite
 
Goingfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,454
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
It was yet another impressive day for the Photon here in the middle of nowhere.

I continue to be extremely impressed with this car. Its so easy to drive fast and if it ever starts to get a little sketchy corrections are so easy. The guys I run with at my home track used to run quite a bit closer when I ran my former car, but more I run the Photon the father away other brands are getting.

I set the track record today with a time that was more than six tenths faster than any other car in the "A". The best part the was the consistency. My fast lap was 18.861 and my average was 18.990! And no there was not some super short first lap factored in there.

I still have had ZERO spool or drive cup issues and I now have over 70 packs on the car. Anyone having any spool issue with their Photon please just do a search of my post's in this thread to read my tips on the issue. Or feel free to give me a ring at my shop during the week 870-933-0479. Ask for Q.
What is your set up?Tires,motor,ect? Thanks
__________________
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO
17.5 super stock T.O.P PHOTON , TAMIYA M05 Mini
CEFX.. High Velocity Racing Motor
Goingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #1624
Regional Moderator
 
mrrcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jonesboro Akansas
Posts: 3,157
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfast View Post
What is your set up?Tires,motor,ect? Thanks
I will get it posted this week. I almost posted it last week but I wanted to make sure it was ready,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its ready.

There are two versions of it, one for Sweeps (36's) and of course one for Jaco Blues.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #1625
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Hague, Holland
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hobson View Post
rick, get yourself a TOP

You coming to DHI again? You have to stay out for the party next time lol, 8am we got back haha (with 1pm flight lol)
I did stay for the party, but only till around 3 or 4 am. The guy who had to drive me home the next day wanted to go back to the hotel.

And the new Top is a good car no doubt, but I'll stick to the Corally.
Rick Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #1626
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Verwood,Dorset, southern UK
Posts: 45
Default

This weekend I raced in a southern UK series along with 5 other Photon drivers in 17.5 13.5 and 10.5 class's,the track was tight and twisty with high grip,a track that would test any spool to the limit,unfortunatly we all suffered spool issues,various mods were used to improve maters but with out much sucsess(we ran out of spares between us)...my own mod useing a nut and bolt through the spool even failed in theses conditions..The square drive was rounding out in the spool and on the cups..in my humble oppinion the square drive is not deep enough nor is the material hard enough.

Apart from this very anoying issue the car proved to be very quick noticably carring more corner speed compared to other makes...there was some interesting testing results using the medium flex wings and 2.5 top deck too (yet to be ran on fast flowing tracks)

TOP please please hurry with a mod, I badly want to run this fine car with confidence that I can finish finals (currently running 1st in southern UK stock leauge the SLCC)........Les
__________________
Sponser,Reality Racing/CML

Last edited by lesbaldry; 07-27-2009 at 01:47 AM.
lesbaldry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #1627
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbaldry View Post
This weekend I raced in a southern UK series along with 5 other Photon drivers in 17.5 13.5 and 10.5 class's,the track was tight and twisty with high grip,a track that would test any spool to the limit,unfortunatly we all suffered spool issues,various mods were used to improve maters but with out much sucsess(we ran out of spares between us)...my own mod useing a nut and bolt through the spool even failed in theses conditions..The square drive was rounding out in the spool and on the cups..in my humble oppinion the square drive is not deep enough nor is the material hard enough.

Apart from this very anoying issue the car proved to be very quick noticably carring more corner speed compared to other makes...there was some interesting testing results using the medium flex wings and 2.5 top deck too (yet to be ran on fast flowing tracks)

TOP please please hurry with a mod, I badly want to run this fine car with confidence that I can finish finals........Les
Thanks for the feedback Les, it seems 50/50 regarding the spool - some love it for being so light, effecient and effective and some have had nothing but bad luck with it. Do you have the detail on what happened with the spools in the other 4 drivers cars?

I see a couple of posts up, one of the guy's has had over 70 runs with the spool with no problems.

Personally, I've ran about 30 packs through the car and only replaced the spool once. A pin had worked loose from the drive shaft and was stopping one wheel turning and as a result rounded off the spool outdrive.

On a positive note, we're sending out some replacement spools with hardened outdrives at the start of this week so the shop mentioned in your 'sponsors' below will receive some.

Thanks again,

Keith.
keithander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #1628
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Verwood,Dorset, southern UK
Posts: 45
Default

Hi keith....As I said this track was a very good tester for any spool,all of us sufferd the square rounding in the spool and on the cups..mind you one guy hadnt noticed the cup screws were touching not allowing them to be fully tightened...I ended up drilling out the spool center and fitting a loc tighted nut and bolt to clamp them to gether as tight as poss...but even this failed in 10.5 testing, the squares still rounded!!..probably something to do with the square getting sudden torque after leaping corner blip dots on full lock...and my driving....I normaly run two classes at the SLCC but I had to drop 10.5 and run a front diff in stock for reliability.....didnt do much for my corner exit speed though....luckily enough the cars corner speed kept me in the top two...sorry I forgot to add the tracks Asphalt not carpet.plus the other Photon drivers were not what I would call "newbys" to the hobby,all were of good club std.

Ps on a happier note all Photon runners were impressed by the cars perfomance(these guys came from other well known cars too)...Its just a shame that this issue was Public in such a large well known clubmans series...personaly I tried to keep my problems quiet "fit the front diff and say nothing"...but it wasnt to be!!
__________________
Sponser,Reality Racing/CML

Last edited by lesbaldry; 07-27-2009 at 02:58 AM.
lesbaldry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #1629
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 87
Default

Looks like then that the outdrives might become a tuning option to what we can get away with at the track.

Ive run at cotswold where there are very little things to hit (though i still try) and we have not sufferd a problem at all. In fact the outdrives ive replaced show no signs of wear on the squeare section of the spool at all.

Take it les you were running at snetterton this past weekend? Any chance of seeing your setup as might be good to look at when i get there for the national

Indoors there might be a prolem with the outdrives. But on my spool i do not see ift as a problem. Could the problem be with the spool and not the outdrives? I would of not botherd with a nut and a screw but would of possibly looked in to running a countersunk screw and washer if it would fit as there sounds like there is no problem in holding the thing the required distance apart but to try and stop the thing spinning around.

On a small note my spool is not tightened down completly. Its tight in holding the drive cups on but i could still turn the screw about 3-5 times before it stops could this be somthing?
__________________
Craig Morgan - Tamiya 417
Slick990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 AM   #1630
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Verwood,Dorset, southern UK
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick990 View Post
Looks like then that the outdrives might become a tuning option to what we can get away with at the track.

Ive run at cotswold where there are very little things to hit (though i still try) and we have not sufferd a problem at all. In fact the outdrives ive replaced show no signs of wear on the squeare section of the spool at all.

Take it les you were running at snetterton this past weekend? Any chance of seeing your setup as might be good to look at when i get there for the national

Indoors there might be a prolem with the outdrives. But on my spool i do not see ift as a problem. Could the problem be with the spool and not the outdrives? I would of not botherd with a nut and a screw but would of possibly looked in to running a countersunk screw and washer if it would fit as there sounds like there is no problem in holding the thing the required distance apart but to try and stop the thing spinning around.

On a small note my spool is not tightened down completly. Its tight in holding the drive cups on but i could still turn the screw about 3-5 times before it stops could this be somthing?
Hi chap....the track was Yeovil a tight 24/25 lapper that has wicked blip dots that gets one sid of car air born even if you sniff them.....The set up was odd due to this little track and will probably be of no use to you...Ill be testing at ADURs new track ( drives some where between Aldershot and the Cotswolds) fast and flowing...Ill keep you posted "if it helps"...you can get me on South Hants model car club site..SHMCC....Or have a chat to Luke Hobson,he may be able to help...Ive yet to run the car on larger tracks.

Just double check your spool screws are not butting together .....cheers have fun Les
__________________
Sponser,Reality Racing/CML

Last edited by lesbaldry; 07-27-2009 at 03:19 AM.
lesbaldry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #1631
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 87
Default

Cheers, keep me posted.

There are a number of setups being used around at the moment in the Uk.

I do have a very good wet setup (3rd in the rain at cotswold round 5) which if anyone wants i can post for you.

My dry setup is a bit strange compared to what everyone else is running. With most people going to harder springs and anti roll bars ive stayed with kit and been mainly playing around with the links, though most people seem to be trying to get rid of steering in some ways.
__________________
Craig Morgan - Tamiya 417
Slick990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #1632
Tech Addict
 
Luke Hobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: newark, nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 526
Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson
Default

There is a chance I'll be at snetterton for btcc if the weather is good, if your there craig I'll show you the mod for spool that I've done, it's not ideal but will be very reliable....

As for set up I'm mainly on kit apart from 3 deg toe, HPI springs and roll bars and no front inboard toe out.....

Pesonally I'm really pleased with the car, it's been great out the box and required little or no adjusting when building the kit.
All the parts are great quality, admittedly the spool has a couple of issues but the guys at TOP are working hard to get it all rectified which is a great sign from a manufacturer.
__________________
Luke Hobson
Awesomatix - Xenon - Godzilla Paint - Moorespeed - ToniSport - MBmodels

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #1633
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 87
Default

Hi Luke,
I doubt i will make it for the BTCC as its a long trek for me to come from the depths of wales as well as working on the saturday.

Ive changed the setup quite a bit from kit and found the car reacts very well to changes. Everything is standard setup apart from no spacers on the front hangers (narrow front) no spacers on the outer rear hub so am just running 2.5mm front and 1.5mm inboard camber links on the inner hole.

I am having trouble with the weight shifting to the front of the car under breaking and may try a smaller piston in the shocks (currently 1.2 3 hole)

Oh, i built up a spare layshaft assembly with a Top 88t spur and i had to use 3 spacers on the layshaft as it was to narrow. Dont know if this was me just making sure everything fitter perfect or not.
__________________
Craig Morgan - Tamiya 417
Slick990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:22 AM   #1634
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Verwood,Dorset, southern UK
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick990 View Post
Cheers, keep me posted.

My dry setup is a bit strange compared to what everyone else is running. With most people going to harder springs and anti roll bars ive stayed with kit and been mainly playing around with the links, though most people seem to be trying to get rid of steering in some ways.
Funny you saying that...I initialy thought the kit springs were perhaps too soft and went slightly harder "wrong" I ended up HPI silvers front and blue rears, droped the shock oil slightly with medium/low rear roll centers and 1.5 front inner camber link shim,4.5/4 droop,5.5 /6 ride hight every thing else was kit...Car was quite well planted on small tight tracks...I ran out of time testing much else...to busy fixing spools
__________________
Sponser,Reality Racing/CML
lesbaldry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #1635
Tech Rookie
 
Jordan-Howe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4
Default

Hi lesbaldry

What did you find wings did to the handling of the car?

Also has any one tried the thicker top deck on asphalt?

Jordan
__________________
T.O.P UK Racing Team - MuchMore UK - Tekin - Kifopaint
Jordan-Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:54 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net