Wiki Posts
Search

Which ESC to choose ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Tech Addict

Default Which ESC to choose ?

Hi ,

I have a few ESC in mind but since my GTB blew up i want to buy a better speedo that runs cooler .
I know that the new nosram or LRp pear /SXX is going to come out , there is the tekin RS speedo that i have heard good things about it , the new orion BL esc that was at the worlds , and there is the nosram/LRP TC spec esc .
I have seen that most orion drivers who use orion motors are using the nosram or lrp tc spec ESC , but why not a ESC from orion as they are orion drivers like Hara , why use another esc from someone else instead of using the same brand of motor/esc .

And for the pear or SXX , i havent seen it up to know , only in the worlds .

For the tekin RS ( or PRO ) , i havent seen it on any cars of the top drivers like Marc , Andy , Jilles and the rest so is it good ?
I dont know wich esc i should get because there is a new ESC from speedpassion , and bla bla bla .
I will be running mod with a 3.5 motor .
I wouldnt like to : buy a speedo and 1 month later or 2 month later a new speedo comes out and most of the top drivers will use the new one while i will keep my one .

What would everyone recomende , i would like to race competetivly and mod .

Thanks , any help is great .
Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In my opinion don't buy anything that can't be updated and tuned via you PC. Might be a bit of extra work at first but at least you know that as new settings are tested by team drivers you can update your speedo! I think the Tekin RS(Pro) looks like the way to go. Read the thread on it and most people seem happy with it.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Tech Adept

I had my sight set on the Tekin RS pro but i have heard of recent or future releases as well so i am sort of in the same position as you.
I have heard some good things about Tekin but then again i was thinking of getting the latest LRP TC Sphere when it's released.
I'll be using a 4.5 instead of the 3.5.
If anyone could clear this up for me/us then it would be good.
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
In my opinion don't buy anything that can't be updated and tuned via you PC. Might be a bit of extra work at first but at least you know that as new settings are tested by team drivers you can update your speedo! I think the Tekin RS(Pro) looks like the way to go. Read the thread on it and most people seem happy with it.
I dont really get it , why would you need to tune your esc via your PC ??

Also , i havent seen top drivers use the tekin RS .
Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
I dont really get it , why would you need to tune your esc via your PC ??

Also , i havent seen top drivers use the tekin RS .
That way you can adjust the timing advance separate from current limit unlike an LRP where you only get about 8 different choices. Also Lrp don't even tell you exactly what changes between each profile. It all makes a noticable difference if you race.
Having said that my LRP TC spec has been very reliable. But times are changing!
Old 03-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Dont use the Tekin RS PRO!!! I hope I changed your mind One less guy at the track with the potential to beat me.

I run the Tekin and as mentioned above the beauty of tuning it via PC is you can see exactly what changes you are making instead of pushing buttons and not really knowing what you have done and it means that the life of your ESC is dramatically improved as you will always have the latest and greatest updates that an ESC requires to remain competitive.

But as stated above dont buy it because you will probably beat me

Good luck in your search dude.

Cheers
vazzo
Old 03-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vazzo
Dont use the Tekin RS PRO!!! I hope I changed your mind One less guy at the track with the potential to beat me.

I run the Tekin and as mentioned above the beauty of tuning it via PC is you can see exactly what changes you are making instead of pushing buttons and not really knowing what you have done and it means that the life of your ESC is dramatically improved as you will always have the latest and greatest updates that an ESC requires to remain competitive.

But as stated above dont buy it because you will probably beat me

Good luck in your search dude.

Cheers
vazzo
LOL , funny , my concerne is that is the rs pro big or quite small in foot print ?
Down to how many turn can it handle as i will race 3.5 ,does it run cool , does it need a fan ?
When you mean " you dont know what you are changing when opressing a button on the TC spec " i dont get it at all , when i had my GTB in good shape , i used to change the brake , less braking or more brakes and i could see the deffierence by pressing the button only once on the GTB , i also played with min.drive wich i could see a big difference after pressing the button only once also .
Do you mind to explain to me what the sentence means please .

Also , why dont the top drivers use the RS pro if its a such good esc ?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

RS Pro is small man, no fan required can handle any turn motor. I just love the fact that this sexy GUI opens up when I connect my Tekin RS to the PC via the Hotwire. Pic below.

Also the staff and team drivers at Tekin are ultra friendly and helpful they will answer any setup questions and try to help you out as best they can.

At the end of the day your club racing man not racing world titles plus the guys at that level arent always running exactly whats available to you and I

Cheers
Adrian
Old 03-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Champion

Check Tekin's website...they list several top drivers who placed well with their ESC at the Snowbirds.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
That way you can adjust the timing advance separate from current limit unlike an LRP where you only get about 8 different choices. Also Lrp don't even tell you exactly what changes between each profile. It all makes a noticable difference if you race.
Having said that my LRP TC spec has been very reliable. But times are changing!
Also when new updates come out you can update your ESC yourself instead of having to buy a new one or send one in to be updated.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vazzo
RS Pro is small man, no fan required can handle any turn motor. I just love the fact that this sexy GUI opens up when I connect my Tekin RS to the PC via the Hotwire. Pic below.

Also the staff and team drivers at Tekin are ultra friendly and helpful they will answer any setup questions and try to help you out as best they can.

At the end of the day your club racing man not racing world titles plus the guys at that level arent always running exactly whats available to you and I

Cheers
Adrian
Well , i will do some nationals and few important meetings .
I think i will buy the tekin RS pro , lol sorry if i beat you ( but i dont i will ) , but what is this " hotwire " because if i need a PC to setup my esc ,i will not bring my PC to a meeting and i wont buy the rs esc.
How do you connect the esc to the PC , what is the advantage of " hotwire " ?
Can i setup my esc without a PC ?
Do i need to buy extra thing to conect the esc to the PC , do i need any capacitor ?

Last edited by cyclone speed; 03-07-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Tech Master

You don't need the hotwire setup to program the RS... It just makes it easier to adjust individual settings.

You have to buy the Hotwire box to plug the speed control into the computer.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Tech Addict

Ok , i have seen the ESC , it looks great , small , a bit heavy but good .
So i can change profiles in the esc without the hotwire , correct ?
When you mean " when new updates come out you can put them in your esc yourself instead of sending it back ." Do you mean like :

If tekin comes out with a new ESC , i can put all the new things wich are in the new ESC in my old ESC , so it saves me from buying a new speedo , correct ?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Yes, you can change the profiles without the hotwire, and I think individual settings as well, but you'll get finer adjustments with the hotwire.

And by upgrade, it means that if Tekin releases a newer version of the programming in the ESC, then you can upgrade it just by plugging it in.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Speed

For low turn motors the Speedpassion is bulletproof!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.