Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
Just checked the Protoform website and it looks like Pro-Line discontinued the Corvette body. No longer on their site.
This makes me sad. I have one more unpainted in the basement.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JCarr
That's because everybody is going back to doorstop bodies.
Here they are either going indoor (better traction) or going back to TC.
I have had to put my CRC on the shelf and go to TC just so I can race.
Very sad that once again GT racing has died.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NiMo
Here they are either going indoor (better traction) or going back to TC.
I have had to put my CRC on the shelf and go to TC just so I can race.
Very sad that once again GT racing has died.
Chippenham CWIC series (previously the Thrashnal) had a solid heat of 8 or so GT cars at last years series.

Class is cancelled this year after lack of interest.

No surprise to me personally, seen enough RC classes come and go to know it wouldn't last...
Old 10-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Chippenham CWIC series (previously the Thrashnal) had a solid heat of 8 or so GT cars at last years series.

Class is cancelled this year after lack of interest.

No surprise to me personally, seen enough RC classes come and go to know it wouldn't last...
I can understand that. It was fun, lower cost and improved your driving skills. Yep that's what killed it.

TC very expensive got to run the motor and battery pack of the week, two run tires and foams and lots of parts breakage. I can see why that's more popular.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AreCee
I can understand that. It was fun, lower cost and improved your driving skills. Yep that's what killed it.

TC very expensive got to run the motor and battery pack of the week, two run tires and foams and lots of parts breakage. I can see why that's more popular.
Indeed. 80 entries at the CWIC are running the wrong cars and no doubt hating it.

This is part of the problem with niche classes... even when NOBODY else wants to run them, the handful of die-hards still think it is the other classes that are the problem, not their own.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

By the way, I just have to respond to your list of criticisms of TC (which I hear all the time from the 12thers and buggy drivers in the UK)...

I do OK with my racing, sharp end of local club meetings, top 25% in regional level meetings. I have one brushless motor that has been in the car for a year and shows no sign of needing replacement. I have one LiPo battery pack which has been in the car for the same amount of time. I'm disappointed if I get less than 30 competitive runs on a set of tyres indoors. I haven't broken a part on a car since 2006 - and I have my share of crashes.

Now, there are a few racers around that like to spend their money, and turn up with a new car a couple of times a season, and buy all the latest parts and electronics to go with them. They are the ones that are also using as many tyres as the rules allow. It might be beneficial at the very top level (nationals). Doesn't mean it is necessary to enjoy your racing.

But don't try and tell me that the top-level pan car driver's don't have a box-o-tyres and try just as many new chassis and electronics - because they do!

TC is not perfect, but it is easy to live with, and that is why it is popular.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
By the way, I just have to respond to your list of criticisms of TC (which I hear all the time from the 12thers and buggy drivers in the UK)...

I do OK with my racing, sharp end of local club meetings, top 25% in regional level meetings. I have one brushless motor that has been in the car for a year and shows no sign of needing replacement. I have one LiPo battery pack which has been in the car for the same amount of time. I'm disappointed if I get less than 30 competitive runs on a set of tyres indoors. I haven't broken a part on a car since 2006 - and I have my share of crashes.

Now, there are a few racers around that like to spend their money, and turn up with a new car a couple of times a season, and buy all the latest parts and electronics to go with them. They are the ones that are also using as many tyres as the rules allow. It might be beneficial at the very top level (nationals). Doesn't mean it is necessary to enjoy your racing.

But don't try and tell me that the top-level pan car driver's don't have a box-o-tyres and try just as many new chassis and electronics - because they do!

TC is not perfect, but it is easy to live with, and that is why it is popular.
Wow, must have struck a nerve.

WGT, one set of tires, no parts breakage, faster lap times, more fun per dollar/pound. What's not to like?

Hard-core, hardly.

BTW: I've been racing TC for over ten years and it's on a death roll in my region, dirt has taken over except for a few parking lots.

At the local track last season we didn't have enough TCs or VTAs to make a class but we had several heats of WGT and 1/12. We even let a TC run with the WGTs since he made the trip, the following week he had a new WGT amd sold the TC.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Wow, must have struck a nerve.

WGT, one set of tires, no parts breakage, faster lap times, more fun per dollar/pound. What's not to like?

Hard-core, hardly.

BTW: I've been racing TC for over ten years and it's on a death roll in my region, dirt has taken over except for a few parking lots.

At the local track last season we didn't have enough TCs or VTAs to make a class but we had several heats of WGT and 1/12. We even let a TC run with the WGTs since he made the trip, the following week he had a new WGT amd sold the TC.
Well, I'm pleased WGT is working as a class for you. It isn't in the UK. Unfortunately that doesn't stop certain sections of the hobby using it's existence as a blunt instrument to knock TC about with. So, yes, it does hit a nerve unfortunately.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

The problem I've seen with WGT (and 1/12th for that matter) is that when a TC is on track with a setup that isn't perfect, say, around 60-70% ''there'' in terms of where the driver is happy, then the TC will still be driveable.

Have a pan car (1/10th or 1/12th, or even F1) that is 60-70% ''there'' in terms of setup, then its difficult to position on track and isn't much fun to drive.

Now, I'm not saying thats a fault of the car design or the class structure, I think people aren't as willing to learn new chassis setup theories and put the effort into making a pan car work. Its more that TCs are easier to drive when they aren't on the pace.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

I've just gone back to TC and have found the tyres (£25 a set) to loose performance very quickly (like 3 heats) even though they have plenty of rubber left on them, yet on the GT car I was getting 6 meetings from a set of GRP Magenta foams on an outdoor circuit, that being 5x 5 minute quallies and a final at each meeting, which is a good 3 hours of running from a set of tyres.
I do have a box full of wheels and tyres for my GT, but then I did buy 10 sets of GRP Magentas (about £28 per set) and have only used 3 sets since the order arrived in May this year.
The class was thriving with up to 20 racers at one time, running 2s LiPo with the HPI Saturn 20T motor, but once the BRCA released a set of rules that did not allow 2s LiPo, and even killed off the 4cell 10.5 class, it left sour grapes at our club (which had been running the class for the previous 3yrs) and many showed their verdict by leaving the class.
I would love to keep on racing GT, but cant see the point in travelling at least 50 miles to race it when my local (where I have been racing since 1992) is only 14 miles away.
As for TC, well only one class is running regularly, and that is the 13.5 class.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Only 14 miles, I wish I were that lucky. The closest carpet track is 90 miles away but within 90 miles are five dirt tracks all of them are busy.

I remember when a TC race night would have between 30 to 60 entries in two classes, stock and mod. Now there are only a handful in TC which they call Stock Rubber GT using either a 21.5 and unlimited ESC or 17.5 with a zero timing advance ESC.

They are trying to revive the F1 class but again only a handful show up and they can't decide on the class; F103, F201, F104, silver can, brushless and whatever.

Bottom line is that too many options to choose from thins out any class and will kill it.

I agree that a 1/12 60% setup is undrivable but the 1/10 WGT doesn't seem anywhere near as sensitive as 1/12. In WGT it's more of a driver thing then chassis and I have seen cars set-up by some very knowledgable people then handed over to someone to try and they hit every wall on the track and I have seen the same knowlegable drivers take a so-so set up car and lap the field with it.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thought Id give this a free bump. Seems that the Sophia and the Aston DB9 are the shells of choice in the class. Personally Id probably run a Corvette because I have a thing for American muscle
Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Corvette was discontinued. It seems like there are really only 3 body options now. The Sophia, Ferrari 599 and the DB9. Are there even any other options? I bought all 3 to test.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

I think the only Corvette out is HPI's
Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I think the only Corvette out is HPI's
not legal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.