Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Questions?? GIANNA GT

Regarding the whereabouts of the WGT body style to be called the PROTOform “Gianna GT” – there’s a bit of an explanation. I hope it will make sense to you all.

In early 2008 when the all new WGT class was in the formation stages I was asked (by the planners of the class) exactly how Protoform would support this new class, with body styles. In my exuberance over this all new class, I stated that I would probably have 2 body styles finished by the end of 2008. As things turned out I was able to complete the Sophia body style in late summer, however it was only a short time after its release that a few major events happened (in the business world) that would have serious ramifications for Proline & Protoform, as well as most RC companies. (other than possibly Traxxas – lol!). As you all know there was a major meltdown in the financial world in Oct 08 that had a serious effect on almost all business’ around the globe. Unfortunately the RC industry is not exempt from this downturn in consumer spending. At PROTOform these events forced us to re-think exactly how we would meet the challenges of staying profitable in a shrinking marketplace. This would of course change our plans and re-arrange our priorities with the body styles on our to-do list. Coupled with this major reason, there were other factors that contributed to the delay of the Gianna GT body.

- No other competing body company invested the time or money in a purpose built WGT body for the class in spite of the fact that the WGT class got a firm foothold in the RC racing scene. I was quite surprised by this lack of interest. Parma finally released a body in March or April of 2009.
- the Sophia became the dominant body in the WGT class in North America. For me to go ahead and produce another PROTOform WGT body style at that point in time would only result in our competing “with ourselves”. Not an idea situation from a business standpoint. It would yield no real and measurable growth in sales.
- the WGT class has become an established and viable class within ROAR and the BRCA etc with the currently available bodies on the approved list.
- the large number of racers who posted negative comments (on this thread) regarding the Sophia GT made me wonder exactly what I need to do to satisfy some of you guys. Given the parameters that I’m working with (rules, tiny OD tires, locked-in pan car dimensions etc), the Gianna GT body that I had planned (in my mind) would probably disappoint and annoy the same racers/enthusiasts who verbally trashed the PROTOform Sophia here on RCTech. I appreciated your honesty, but regardless - it left me a bit perplexed. I’m still trying to figure out exactly how to satisfy some of you guys. I’m referring the crowd out there that’s passionate about the WGT class and discerning about the “look” of the bodies. You’re a tough crowd.
- If body molds were quick’n’easy’n’cheap to produce, the Gianna GT would have been finished for a while now, however they’re just not. (at least they’re not for someone as slow and anal as myself) I’m only able to do a limited number of molds in a given year, so this current economic climate has pretty much forced me to be very careful were I spent time and money. Just trying to stay in business guys. I’ne been trying to focus on were we are weak as a company - among the other various segments of organized RC racing. (like 1/8th On-Road, 1/12th On-Road, Oval Racing, 1/10th Nitro Sedan, 1/10th Electric Sedan and emerging new classes like F1 and 1/8th GT1 and GT2)

OK, so while I’ve got your attention let me try to clear up another thing that’s been misunderstood by many of you:
The fact the Gianna GT body somehow was added to the “approved WGT Bodies List” before it was even in existence is a result of my naïve enthusiasm for this new class. The body list was originally done up in a hurry for the inaugural WGT race at the 2008 IIC Vegas event and this Gianna GT body was put on the list – in the possibility that it would be finished on time. For all the conspiracy theorists out there (like Rick Howart) that think there was some form of collusion or favoritism shown to PROTOform by including this non-existent body on the “approved” list - I hate to disappoint you. There was no approval process in place at the time – only the group of guys that thought up the WGT class, and doing everything in their power to get it up and running - including myself. I guess the other guys in this group though I was fully capable of building a body to stay within the specs that we devised together.

Personally - I love the WGT class! I’d love to somehow be able to forget all this “profit & loss” crap and just dedicate myself to this new class for 6 months - and do a half dozen body styles. The number of cool GT body styles out there is almost limitless – just watch Top Gear. I look forward to doing this new style and many others - however it will still be a few months before the Gianna GT is completed. I’m hoping for an Oct. release so it will be legal for Cleveland’s US Indoor Champs. I hope some of you will like it. But, I already know that there will be some that won’t. Oh well - "Say La Vie".

For those who will take the time understand my situation – “thanks for your patience and understanding”. And once again – thanks to all of you who have supported PROTOform in the past.

Much appreciated!

Dale Epp - Protoform

Last edited by daleepp; 08-10-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Dale,

Thanks for all the details.

No worry about this WGT (2S/1S) driver...

I love the Sophia GT body on my CRC Gen-X 10 for its outstanding performance characteristics.

Would be helpful if there was a 20mm high trim line molded into the rear wing to assist with trimming to meet ROAR (and IIC) specs. I need all the help I can get when it comes to trimming wings...

Thanks.

Bill
Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks what you've done, I've only used your Sophie GT in the class so far Dale.I understand the situation and I'll get my new Sophie Gt for next months state race.Oh, I only will buy from one company- regardless and that's your company- Protoform!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i'm with bullfrog here dale... i love the sophie on asphalt and most of your products in general.. keep up the good work..
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

I switched from the HPI NSX to the PF Corvette and went a lap faster.
I rate the Corvette for outdoor use, and only curse the many using the Mulsanne shell (like the one who beat me today simply on downforce through the corners, made me push too hard and i clipped a kerb).
Have got the Sophia shell but have yet to cut and paint it.

Still would love the Ginetta G50Z as that car just looks right
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dale, thanks for the explanation. You cannot please all of the people all of the time, so don't try! Some bodies will suit some drivers, and some won't, that's why you have a range of them, and not just one, for each class.

Personally I will not buy bodies for WGT that are not based on real cars, like the excellent Corvette CR6, but the Sophia could be painted like one if you squint hard! I'd prefer that these bodies never appeared, but everyone has a business to run and what sells, sells.

Roll on LV and the IIC - with my Corvette C6!!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

My PF Corvette, straight from the track so a bit dirty.
It is now 4 meetings old, plus 5 test days.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
Regarding the whereabouts of the WGT body style to be called the PROTOform “Gianna GT” – there’s a bit of an explanation. I hope it will make sense to you all.

Dale Epp - Protoform
Thanks for the update. Most people at the local track seem to like the Mulsanne LMP you all do over the GT bodies and think the class should had went to that style of body. I like either and don't really care if the bodies look realistic or not.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
I’m trying to focus on were we are weak as a company - among the other various segments of organized RC racing. (like 1/8th On-Road
Weak my ass That 909 is the bomb.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NiMo
My PF Corvette, straight from the track so a bit dirty.
It is now 4 meetings old, plus 5 test days.
Subtle

Coming out to play this weekend at WLRC?
Would be good to see a couple more as we continue to test tyres etc.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Subtle

Coming out to play this weekend at WLRC?
Would be good to see a couple more as we continue to test tyres etc.
Am planning to at the moment.
Got a few extra compounds to try out, and to see how the upgrades to the car work on your low grip track
(back end refuses to lose grip at my track)
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the update Dale. I like my Vette and can't wait to try my Sophia. I'm waiting on my shortie bumper and nurf wings for my CRC. Should be fun indoors this winter!

John
Old 09-03-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

any news about Gianna GT body? Release date, pics, etc...?

Thansk a lot
Old 09-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Why not mimicking the body selection from the actual GT Le Mans classes:
http://www.americanlemans.com/index_...hp?sFile=12140

Also, why is the HPI R34 Skyline (which is all wheel drive) on the approved body list, but then the rules state that the body must be based on front-engine - rear drive autos?

http://www.worldgtrc.com/World%20GT%...s%20-%2009.pdf
Old 09-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biz77
Why not mimicking the body selection from the actual GT Le Mans classes:
http://www.americanlemans.com/index_...hp?sFile=12140

Also, why is the HPI R34 Skyline (which is all wheel drive) on the approved body list, but then the rules state that the body must be based on front-engine - rear drive autos?

http://www.worldgtrc.com/World%20GT%...s%20-%2009.pdf
The R34 was offered as front or rear wheel drive and was raced in the 2wd rear wheel class in Japan along with Supras and the like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.