World GT Body Debate Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have found the HPI firebird really planted at 30+mph,and the faster you go, the better it sticks.I am using Tamiya 26mm supergrip foam filled radials and HPI x pattern radials too.I use a peak 14tdouble econo motor with 4000mah packs and this is one fast tt01.

Last edited by shanedc; 03-12-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by academygaz
Thats just picking a car built to DTM rules though. For example, the C-Class is also raced in the DTCC (Danish Touring Car Championship) and doesn't need to be squashed at all.

Real GT cars aren't flattened, WGT bodies shouldn't need to be either.
And I will add further. Even with DTM rules, do you see that lovely Benz flattened and looking like a doorstop wedge blob? I know I don't need coke-bottle glasses to see that (sorry odpurple )
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

one of the reasons I chose the firebird body was that is did not get flattened out.It maintains it's scale height all over.On a carpet track,it can be set much lower and it looks even more badass. It really looks like a ws6 ta.Thanks HPI for a great scale looking body that is FAST and holds a line.:
Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

World GT is an outstanding class that will most certainly have growing pains. On the issue of bodies, I think we're getting lost in the realism path and less concerned about what we do to the current ones we have.

What I mean by this is the minimum body height. One of most favorite people in RC wrote the rules for World GT that Scotty used that, correct me if I'm wrong, became the standard rules at most big races. For instance, I took my new painted Protoform Vette body for Vegas and proceeded to cut almost half body off to slam it. It looked like a Vette before I started, afterwards, it looked like, well, most everything else we run.

I think an easy fix to all this is to enforce and encourage local club races to have a more realistic body height standard. Its not going to affect handling to the point where diehard on-road racers are going to shy away from the class by any means.

The current bodies by Protoform and Parma are wonderful editions to the RC world.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

do it like nascar,have a minimum height that the body can be.Period.This wil keep things looking a bit more realistic.Also dictate that the bodies must be trimmed no further that the molded lines the manufacturer provides.
We measure for minimun chassi height,so why not for bodies?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanedc
do it like nascar,have a minimum height that the body can be.Period.This wil keep things looking a bit more realistic.Also dictate that the bodies must be trimmed no further that the molded lines the manufacturer provides.
Doorstop wedge blobs would still make it through, unhindered even with these requirements. Unless there is specificity stating ONLY REAL CARS, things will turn to the way TC is now.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I'm the group 3 type racer. This is a HPI Nissan Silvia GT, the wheels are trued to 2.108, they look a little small for the body for my liking but work the best. The roof height is quite a bit higher than the WGT rules, but it only seems to hurt it on really big tracks.
This is kinda what I though WGT would become. 2 door sports car racing...Corvettes Porches, etc...

Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank
World GT is an outstanding class that will most certainly have growing pains. On the issue of bodies, I think we're getting lost in the realism path and less concerned about what we do to the current ones we have.

What I mean by this is the minimum body height. One of most favorite people in RC wrote the rules for World GT that Scotty used that, correct me if I'm wrong, became the standard rules at most big races. For instance, I took my new painted Protoform Vette body for Vegas and proceeded to cut almost half body off to slam it. It looked like a Vette before I started, afterwards, it looked like, well, most everything else we run.

I think an easy fix to all this is to enforce and encourage local club races to have a more realistic body height standard. Its not going to affect handling to the point where diehard on-road racers are going to shy away from the class by any means.

The current bodies by Protoform and Parma are wonderful editions to the RC world.

Both of the above post touch on what might be an issue, or even the issue. If the body height rules force body makers to make wedges...then wedges will be produced. I hope this class shakes out to be what people want it to be...but at this point there seems to be an identity crisis.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shanedc
That is already in place. At the inaugural event at last year's IIC the minimum height for the car, ready to run, was 95 (94?)mm. This was later changed to the current 104mm height

http://www.worldgtrc.com/World%20GT%...s%20-%2009.pdf
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Body shells must meet the 104 minimum height. They also must be submitted for WGT approval. Not just any 2 door gt shell will be approved - contrary to popular belief. This is why not all GT shells are on the approval list.

Due to the minimum height changing, the trim lines would have been outdated.

This is much less a debate thread and more of a whining thread. Stop worrying because the founders of this class aren't going to let it degrade.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

i think one NEW rule needs to be imposed, and that is the height of the bonnet/hood at the front axle line.
Keeping this to a minimum height will remove the trend towards a squashed down frontal area.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thats a great idea, at the moment you just can't imagine a scale V8 or V12 under the hoods of any body out there.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NiMo
i think one NEW rule needs to be imposed, and that is the height of the bonnet/hood at the front axle line.
Keeping this to a minimum height will remove the trend towards a squashed down frontal area.
Great idea mate, now put it forward to the BRCA
Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by HarryN
Ouch... Now this is going to be hard to argue against...

Spot on mate, spot on
Er... not difficult. That's not a racing car in a recognised class, so no go!

Originally Posted by tallyrc
nobody said slip through the air easily or whatever, they mean have adequate aerodynamics to allow the performance of the car to atleast provide a pleasurable experience.. here, let's turn your argument on it's head..
You definitely don't want to slip through the air! F1 cars and Indy cars have very high drag factors in order to generate the down force they need. Back in the turbo F1 days, Rory Byrne said that a rear wing on a Ferrari F1 consumed 450bhp at top speed - when you took your foot off the throttle, it slowed faster than a road car! There's an argument that says that our rear wings are simply a bit of drag behind the centre of pressure to make the car stable. Slippery? - nooooo!

Originally Posted by HarryN
Given what is going on in Europe with the realistic bodies designed by HPI Racing and no complaints about poor handling, I doubt it.
I use the HPI Corvette shell indoors, and it handles better than the Protoform one. Others are also used, and they handle very well too.

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Unrealistic bodies and the faster speeds that come along with them plus the push for 2S LiPo sends the class in the same direction as mod touring. It won't take long before they become difficult to drive for the majority.

I care about this class because I have a long term interest in the R/C racing hobby. To be honest, R/C cars don't interest me at all. But RACING R/C cars is awesome (on-road in particular). I want racing to continue in an industry where it is becoming less and less of a priority to manufacturers and the media.

World GT has the potential to become the next TC or Slash but I think that taking away realism so early in the game will result in self-destruction before it has even left the ground.
Wise words, ignored at the peril of the class. I am all for variations that will bring dirvers to Clubs, but where the National Rules are concerned it is to be hoped that the ROAR Body and voltage and motor Rules will be retained.

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I believe the carpet was Nylon and they had Nitro's running so speeds were 'very slow'.

GT10's at the Autosports show UK
Speeds were not very slow, they were flat out on a very open track. Jason's GT3 shell worked really well...

Originally Posted by NiMo
Didn't realise it was from the Autosports show, cos they told the drivers to keep speeds down and drive together to make it look good for the spectators, the organisers didn't want to see cars crashing every 4 yards.
We were asked to race, not to keep the speeds down. Whilst the best drivers may have been not flat out, I can assure you that the mere mortals amongst the drivers were flat out trying to keep up!

The carpet was the usual one used for the hall, not a specific 'RC' carpet. That, with the nitro oil, made it slippery, and just the sort of surface to show up a dodgy bodyshell. We had all sorts of set-ups trying to get our cars to handle, but swapping bodies wasn't one of them. Everyone ran the shells you see in the pics for two days (18 races each!!) and the answer turned out to be use neat JtG, and not the CS High.

My car used the HPI Corvette shell, and Jaco 2x pink all round, all weekend. My only concession to the grip was harder front springs (green progressive) that worked really well.

Anyone who thinks they can only win with one of these so-called 'aero' shells is sadly mistaken. Despite the many variations of shells at the Autosport - all running 10.5BL on 4-cell - the order of drivers mathced their skills, not the chassis and certainly not the body.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70

Here is an example of a DTM Merc C class. Sure, it's still recognizable, if you look at the grille and hood. But just about every other part of the shell has been distorted specifically for racing purposes.
Not quite. What you are seeing is called a widebody. the dimensions of the car itself remain unchanged, but they ADD large flares to encase the massive wheel offset the car runs. They also throw on a front splitter and rear diffuser. And they drop the ride height significantly.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by odpurple
That is already in place. At the inaugural event at last year's IIC the minimum height for the car, ready to run, was 95 (94?)mm. This was later changed to the current 104mm height

http://www.worldgtrc.com/World%20GT%...s%20-%2009.pdf
Who is responsible for this site? what is the ruling body? Funny that the DB9 is on the approved list bodies legal for 2008...being it just was released...misprint probably.
My point is this set of rules has been altered since the IIC last year...Who is doing this? I have a copy of the original rules....and there are definate changes to the PDF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.