Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC - Balancing with weights ? >

TC - Balancing with weights ?

TC - Balancing with weights ?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
okayplayer

Default TC - Balancing with weights ?

Hi,

I just finished setting up my Xray T2 009 EU, Rubber on asphalt with the Hudy tools. I noticed that when I try to balance it; by default the part that "wins" is the one that has on it's side:
Tekin RS PRO, Tekin 6.5T, Spektrum SRT3300T, Futaba Servo

Other side has IP 3800 35C 2S lipo.

I have to add 144 grams of lead on the lipo side to get an average balacing.

Is that normal ? Is balancing mandatory ? 144 grams is HUGE!

A friend of mine with exactly the same car/specs/electronics prefers not to balance the car by adding weight.

What is the way to go ?

Thanks,

Cédric

Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...um-weight.html
Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
okayplayer

many thanks !

Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Weight displacement

On my 009EU I use a hyperdrive lipo tray for 2.5mm chassis (sits down in battery slots). With the car ready to run minus battery (lipo tray in car) I have the car on the balancing pins. Then position the battery with the front of the pack close to the topdeck and rear of the pack angled to where the car balances out with nothing else added.

With the TP5000 40c pack I had to add an additional 55 grams evenly distributed to get up to 1510. Don't know what the 3800 weighs in at but of course you'll have to add a little more weight than I did. With the battery gray 3M taped to the tray followed by battery tape I've had only one issue of it coming out from a serious T-BONE. HTH
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by okayplayer
Hi,

I just finished setting up my Xray T2 009 EU, Rubber on asphalt with the Hudy tools. I noticed that when I try to balance it; by default the part that "wins" is the one that has on it's side:
Tekin RS PRO, Tekin 6.5T, Spektrum SRT3300T, Futaba Servo

Other side has IP 3800 35C 2S lipo.

I have to add 144 grams of lead on the lipo side to get an average balacing.

Is that normal ? Is balancing mandatory ? 144 grams is HUGE!

A friend of mine with exactly the same car/specs/electronics prefers not to balance the car by adding weight.

What is the way to go ?

Thanks,

Cédric
Hi, I had to add 2x 50g lead to chassis and have glued 2x 60g onto lipo to balance car and get minimum weight. So your 144 isn't that much
Old 03-04-2009, 03:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Use the hyper-drive lipo plate as mentioned above....Does wonders and that way you dont have a ton of weights all over the chassis...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 AM
okayplayer

My car with lipo weigths 1320 grams.

Here're some shots; any remarks are welcome

Thanks,

Cédrics

Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

THe weight is way to high. I would definitely get one of the Hyperdrive lipo plates for UNDER the battery. It's thin, places most of the weight in the cell slots and looks a lot neater, and accounts for about 140g.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

The top of the battery strap is a bad place for weight, especially that much...get it as low as you can to the chassis. Use either a lipo plate as mentioned above, or stick the weights to the side of the pack itself...either is better than that big hunk of lead up high on the strap as it kills your CG and will make the car transition like a tank.

-rocky b
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 AM
okayplayer

Originally Posted by flatspunout
The top of the battery strap is a bad place for weight, especially that much...get it as low as you can to the chassis. Use either a lipo plate as mentioned above, or stick the weights to the side of the pack itself...either is better than that big hunk of lead up high on the strap as it kills your CG and will make the car transition like a tank.

-rocky b
Hi rocky b,

I changed the lead/fe layout; This is the best I can do for a good balancing.

Cédric

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 AM
okayplayer

Originally Posted by miller tyme
THe weight is way to high. I would definitely get one of the Hyperdrive lipo plates for UNDER the battery. It's thin, places most of the weight in the cell slots and looks a lot neater, and accounts for about 140g.
Hi,

Where can I buy this Hyperdrive lipo plate for my T2 EU 009 ?

It's a flexfit chassis, so I don't know if putting a hyperdrive lipo will change anything in the flex.

Thanks a lot,

Cédric

Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

That's better from a CG standpoint but the stacks on either end of the pack don't look very secure...one good shot to the side and they will more than likely be ejected. Stick a full strip on either edge of the pack (preferably the inside if belt clearance allows it) and if you need more then put it on the outside edge. I highly recommend the lipo plate...it looks like you have spared no expense on your setup and the plate makes things so much easier and cleaner looking it is worth a little more coin.

-rocky b
Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 AM
okayplayer

Originally Posted by flatspunout
That's better from a CG standpoint but the stacks on either end of the pack don't look very secure...one good shot to the side and they will more than likely be ejected. Stick a full strip on either edge of the pack (preferably the inside if belt clearance allows it) and if you need more then put it on the outside edge. I highly recommend the lipo plate...it looks like you have spared no expense on your setup and the plate makes things so much easier and cleaner looking it is worth a little more coin.

-rocky b
got it, where can I buy this lipo plate ? will it fit my Xray T2 EU 009 ? any issue with the T2 flexfit chassis ?

Cédric

Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

I also noticed that the velcro under the battery strap is causing the strap to bow when you tighten down the thumb screw...that can lead to chassis tweak and make the car a nightmare to set up. Someone else who runs lipo with this chassis may be able to help there.

-rocky b
Old 03-04-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

The website is www.hyperdriveracing.com but I don't see them listed under their products. Maybe miller tyme can give you a heads-up on them. There are a couple of manufacturers that make them and there is a thread on here somewhere for one of those companies...try doing a search for lipo plate in the onroad forum. Sorry I can't help more with the plate...I don't run one as I have a saddle-pack car.

-rocky b

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.