Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dameetz
Ronald, do you usually use the 8mm steering center link? Also I ask this on last page regarding zero rebound shock, do you drill a hole on the top shock shaft to get zero rebound. I always see your car is using the longer rear stabilizer, what difference does it make compare to the stock one?

Thanks.

always 8mm center link because of more steering.
on carpet never, but sometimes on asphalt we are using a hole in the shock cap to get zero rebound as this feels easier and controllable to drive. recommend this more on low/medium traction.
about rear stablizer "kschu" was right..
Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ddd2k
hi ronald what gear diff oil do you use?
I never tried dot 4 but like dot 1 on carpet as well. most of the time I use dot 2
Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Völker
I never tried dot 4 but like dot 1 on carpet as well. most of the time I use dot 2
Whilst ojn the subject of gear diffs, I have noticed in some photos from the Tourer series that you are running Blue coloured outdrives for your gear diff, and not the standard silver outdrives that come supplied with the diff. Which model of car do the Blue outdrives belong too? I've been looking at replacing the standard items for various reasons including durability and clearance issues for the plastic blades.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kschu
According to Umino, the longer 'SD' style sway bar is a bit softer initially, and adjusts better to changes in surface condition, making it easier when setting up the car..

(from Team Yokomo)
Originally Posted by R.Völker
always 8mm center link because of more steering.
on carpet never, but sometimes on asphalt we are using a hole in the shock cap to get zero rebound as this feels easier and controllable to drive. recommend this more on low/medium traction.
about rear stablizer "kschu" was right..
Thanks for the info Ronald and kschu.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

ronald...

1. why most of the time at asphalt u use camber front 1.5 rear 2.0... haven't u try f2.0, r2.5 or more/less...? need to know your feeling whenever u use other than f1.5 n r 2.0...
2. your favourite insert for sorex 36r at high temp track (noon)...? i was using speed mind medium grey but seem not work because always overheat my tire about 4-5laps...

thanc for relpy...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zamrioo2
ronald...

1. why most of the time at asphalt u use camber front 1.5 rear 2.0... haven't u try f2.0, r2.5 or more/less...? need to know your feeling whenever u use other than f1.5 n r 2.0...
2. your favourite insert for sorex 36r at high temp track (noon)...? i was using speed mind medium grey but seem not work because always overheat my tire about 4-5laps...

thanc for relpy...
maybe u can use 40R sorex tyres since your race didnt control tyre...

Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VintageFrog1
Whilst ojn the subject of gear diffs, I have noticed in some photos from the Tourer series that you are running Blue coloured outdrives for your gear diff, and not the standard silver outdrives that come supplied with the diff. Which model of car do the Blue outdrives belong too? I've been looking at replacing the standard items for various reasons including durability and clearance issues for the plastic blades.

Thanks
Thats a prototype diff from before the actual gear diff was realeased. The Blue alloy is the same material as the ball diff outdrives if im not mistaken.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by VintageFrog1

Thanks
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
Thats a prototype diff from before the actual gear diff was realeased. The Blue alloy is the same material as the ball diff outdrives if im not mistaken.

correct
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by zamrioo2
ronald...

thanc for relpy...

1.personally I use 1.5° all around. Maybe in some sheets 2.0° is listed when Umino set the car but I have no explanation why to use 2.0° instead of 1.5°

2.I have no experience with non-controlled tires actually so I can not recommend anything,sorry!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Hello Ronald, thank you very much for your time, are very helpfull, well and Kschu, ... etc, thanks for your responses guys, this help a lot, more drivers around the world read here.

Ronald, next week is the 1st round of Nationals here, i run a setup pretty similar to your asphalt setup, i use 42.0 mm FF-FR, work best for me, sometimes change rear RC to 1 - 1 mm, instead 2 - 0.5 mm as you use in rear.

But sometimes i need more traction, especially when the heat gets too high, can you recommend to maintain traction? , hydraulic, additive ... i use MR+Xenon, with good results, ... the track is low grip, medium with water-sugar.

Thanks, Luis C.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by luic
Hello Ronald, thank you very much for your time, are very helpfull, well and Kschu, ... etc, thanks for your responses guys, this help a lot, more drivers around the world read here.

Ronald, next week is the 1st round of Nationals here, i run a setup pretty similar to your asphalt setup, i use 42.0 mm FF-FR, work best for me, sometimes change rear RC to 1 - 1 mm, instead 2 - 0.5 mm as you use in rear.

But sometimes i need more traction, especially when the heat gets too high, can you recommend to maintain traction? , hydraulic, additive ... i use MR+Xenon, with good results, ... the track is low grip, medium with water-sugar.

Thanks, Luis C.

which tires are you using? I do like CS tire max additive which is similar to MR,sometimes also "LRP asphalt".
If you have to run in hot condition maybe you remove tire warmers quite early before the start (10-15minutes). but its in general not easy to find good traction in hot condition if track hasnt that much grip
Old 04-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Ronald,
In spain we use Jaco tyres (blue), and we also use the chassis of BD5-ws (not high-traction chassis)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks, i like CS, too, i testing with tyre warmes, yesterday the car have good feeling, easy to drive and very good traction, the temperature at track are 44şC.
I hope, have same feeling next week.

Alejandro, prepare your car, see you next week .

Regards, Luis C.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Had my first run with the Yokomo! The car is super fast and tons of steering. I used Volker asphalt sorex 36 setup. I had only one problem the car was a bit twitchy for my liking is there a way to calm it down?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I found my WR a little twitchy too, here's some things that I've done to calm it down:
- less front camber
- raise the front roll center (.5 or 1mm shims)
- move some weight forward
- heavier shock oil all around
I also took a little steering out with exponential, to tame it just off center. Hope it helps, worked for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.