Wiki Posts
Search

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotdognobun
thx! .. Is it ok the run the steering without the brace?
Yes you can, ive tried it and like it
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ROCHE ceramic bearing back in stock !

MYlaps transponder anyone ??

KS Hobby
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

just run my BD5W for the first time tonight and WOW!!! car is miles away from my original BD5! Cornering was consistent and deliberate, and its the first time I was able to run HPI pinks in front and blue in the rear without issues! Now I know why Volker is on top! Special thanks to Elwyn and Audrey of HobbyHaven for getting my order to me

Looking forward to getting to know this car more!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikeygar
just run my BD5W for the first time tonight and WOW!!! car is miles away from my original BD5! Cornering was consistent and deliberate, and its the first time I was able to run HPI pinks in front and blue in the rear without issues! Now I know why Volker is on top! Special thanks to Elwyn and Audrey of HobbyHaven for getting my order to me

Looking forward to getting to know this car more!
u having trouble before running hpi spring ?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

@kschu - in my original BD5 yes, I could only make it run properly with HPI blue all around was too aggressive and would have snap oversteer when I release throttle on hairpin approach. With the BD5W, I am using the same droop (7F 5.5R)/camber (-1.5 F/R)/ride height(5F/5.5R) and no problems whatsoever! Was even running on old tires last night and the car handled great adn was able to hang with the A main guys for a few laps (before it was like 3 or 4 corners only hehehe).

With my original BD5, my driving would be really good one day, then using the same setup for the same track, really bad during the next race. I'm hoping the W will make me more consistent.

BTW, I'm using the Roche spool in front it's my second one, the first one I put in my BDM. Nice stuff!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

@kschu - in my original BD5 yes, I could only make it run properly with HPI blue all around was too aggressive and would have snap oversteer when I release throttle on hairpin approach. With the BD5W, I am using the same droop (7F 5.5R)/camber (-1.5 F/R)/ride height(5F/5.5R) and no problems whatsoever! Was even running on old tires last night and the car handled great adn was able to hang with the A main guys for a few laps (before it was like 3 or 4 corners only hehehe).

With my original BD5, my driving would be really good one day, then using the same setup for the same track, really bad during the next race. I'm hoping the W will make me more consistent.

BTW, I'm using the Roche spool in front it's my second one, the first one I put in my BDM. Nice stuff!
Hi, i just notice you are from manila. Do u know Gerry ?

oh, why u run your droop so high for front (7)? how is your track traction?

Thanks for support Roche....we hope u happy with our products...
we hope to produce more option parts for BD5 soon...
Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

I know Gerry, my kit actually came from him, then I upgraded it to W spec As for the front droop, 7 is usually what I use when traction is good since our track is covered and is indoors. When traction is poor I sometimes use 6, but have been struggling a bit since I had just learned how to setup with droop this year

For poor traction surfaces what droop do you run? Do you also change springs to softer ones?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

I know Gerry, my kit actually came from him, then I upgraded it to W spec As for the front droop, 7 is usually what I use when traction is good since our track is covered and is indoors. When traction is poor I sometimes use 6, but have been struggling a bit since I had just learned how to setup with droop this year

For poor traction surfaces what droop do you run? Do you also change springs to softer ones?
i run fr 6, rr 5 when high traction, thicker oil and soft spring like front pink, rear silver

low traction i run 5 fr, rr 4 or 4.5 fr rr 4, softer oil and spring is silver + silver..
Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

When the grip is low or the track is cold, we are having really good success with the Yokomo springs.

What you need to keep in mind is Yokomo incorrectly label the white spring set. If you work on the range of Orange Front, Green rear or Green Front, Pink rear you will be very happy with the results. In general the "W" car likes a slightly harder spring than the previous standard or "E" car. Try and steer clear of light Yokomo springs as they are significantly lighter than advertised.

Colour Advertised Rate (lb/in) Measured Rate (lb/in)

Black 14.4 12.6
Blue 14.8 12.8
Yellow 15.7 13.9
Pink 16.2 13.9
Green 17.0 14.7
Orange 18.5 15.8
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JordanC
When the grip is low or the track is cold, we are having really good success with the Yokomo springs.

What you need to keep in mind is Yokomo incorrectly label the white spring set. If you work on the range of Orange Front, Green rear or Green Front, Pink rear you will be very happy with the results. In general the "W" car likes a slightly harder spring than the previous standard or "E" car. Try and steer clear of light Yokomo springs as they are significantly lighter than advertised.
Yeah Jordo is spot on with this! I think it comes down to the fact that the new worlds car has so much flex compared to the old one. (INside word has it this was because the old car was brilliant on carpet but needed more flex to run at the front of the pack on med grip ashphalt) Boy did they get it right.

The harder set-ups carry so much more corner speed and also make the car point like an arrow. Try it - you will like!!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dual Fuel
Yeah Jordo is spot on with this! I think it comes down to the fact that the new worlds car has so much flex compared to the old one. (INside word has it this was because the old car was brilliant on carpet but needed more flex to run at the front of the pack on med grip ashphalt) Boy did they get it right.

The harder set-ups carry so much more corner speed and also make the car point like an arrow. Try it - you will like!!
By harder do you mean one up from hpi pink silvers?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by defcone
ronald always use fr pink n rear silver even in high traction condition...
Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by defcone
What I am saying is if you want to use the Yokomo Springs, use the 3 hardest rates. Orange, Green and Pink.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kschu
ronald always use fr pink n rear silver even in high traction condition...
Yeah,have to wonder if he even owns any other springs at all!

Just as a bit of info here are the rates:

HPI:
Silver: 16.9 lb Linear
Pink: 18.0 lb Linear

Yoke:
Green: 17.0 lb Prog
Orange: 18.5 lb Prog

As you can see the advertised rates are very similiar, but as Jordo says the Yoke springs we have at least, tested a bit softer across the board.

Also the yoke springs are progressive, not linear like the HPI springs. This seems to make the car a little easier to drive for us mere mortals. So for those guys who dont own the above HPI springs or even if you do; give the yokes a go as well, they are a great alternative at times. Especially on med/high traction. If the traction drops just go down a spring rate all around. Either Pink/Green or even Yellow/green.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dual Fuel
Yeah,have to wonder if he even owns any other springs at all!

Just as a bit of info here are the rates:

HPI:
Silver: 16.9 lb Linear
Pink: 18.0 lb Linear

Yoke:
Green: 17.0 lb Prog
Orange: 18.5 lb Prog

As you can see the advertised rates are very similiar, but as Jordo says the Yoke springs we have at least, tested a bit softer across the board.

Also the yoke springs are progressive, not linear like the HPI springs. This seems to make the car a little easier to drive for us mere mortals. So for those guys who dont own the above HPI springs or even if you do; give the yokes a go as well, they are a great alternative at times. Especially on med/high traction. If the traction drops just go down a spring rate all around. Either Pink/Green or even Yellow/green.
im not sure mate, even my self cant adapt to the yokomo spring...i feel my car stiff if i use them even i use softer yokomo spring like pink and blue....

my laptime bcome slower if i use them....

maybe different preference from each driver..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.