Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with power cap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation Problems with power cap!

Hello!

Car was running fine previously with no power glitch. Only today I put on a Ko-propo Power cap (36v 2200uF). The car would occasionally glitch with power. Like I can't get full throttle for a split second, while accelerating or going full speed (shut off).

I'd say it's because of the power cap I put on. Anyone else experience this kind of problem? I understand it takes time to charge but it wouldn't make sense if the car is already going then surge. It's really annoying!

Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default Problems with power cap!

asimo;

Never heard of your problem before.

What I do know is that most everybody I know, uses a 10v or 16v, 4700uf Cap.

Whether or not this could be your problem, I cannot say. A 10v Cap will charge/discharge considerably faster than a 36v Cap.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

unless your running a KO speedo, you shouldnt get something thats not made for your speedo.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

I'm not running a KO speedo. Running the LRP quantum competition 2.

I don't see the difference between a KO power cap and a normal cap. (correct me if i'm wrong).

I'll try taking it off and put another one on though... see if that fixes the problem!

Old 11-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Default Problems with power cap!

asimo;

The Manufacturer of the Cap will make absolutely NO difference.

ALL of the ESC Manufacturers buy their Caps from somebody else and/or have them made with their own labels. So in all probablility a KO Cap is NOT made by KO.

If the Cap ends up being your problem, try to find a 10v 4700uf Cap to replace it with.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:02 AM
Tech Addict

Car was running fine previously with no power glitch
You sid it all in the first line. Find the proper Cap and your problems will go away.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

I too have the same problem, which beleive it or not, started to happen on the same day!! (I race with Asimo)

Full throttle on the straight, then for a second no power (still have steering though).. It was only happenening on the straight at first , but then it started to happen more frequently around the track...

I too have a Cap that came with my esc (GM-SX12w), but had been using it for a few weeks without any problems.

Alch
Old 11-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

I would try taking off the cap first...just to verify that it is the cap that causing your problem. It is possible the cap has partially shorted.
Another thing I can think of is metal-metal rubbing, could be anything on the car, even metal-chassis rubbing if your chassis is carbon contained.
Some cases in my track, some glitches came from underchassis screws came in contact with the tarmac at hairpin cornering. Adjust the ride height slightly and the glitches gone. Just some idea...
Old 11-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

GTO2,

Thanks for the advice......

After inspecting my car, i noticed that 2 of screws underneath the car had most likely been in contact with the tarmac (due to them now being silver not black ). Have replaced the front diff housing and put some locktite on the screws..

Racing tomorrow so i will see if this fixes the problem..

Alch