Like Tree80Likes

Tamiya F201

Old 05-10-2002, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Dragon, Stop talkin' crazy you fewl. A sedan body on a F1 chassis, shame on you!!!

I got to watch practice this morning for Austria. Rubens was fastest again with Michael .2 behind. Think Ferrari will let Rubens actually start the race this week? I hate when they make him run the T car so Michael can get a good run.

Lots of driver were having problems with grip this morning. Couldn't tell if it was the track or just tires. Everybody was running plenty of aero bite. Some guys would just come up to a corner like normal, (this is practice remember, light fuel and slightly lower speed) and just lose traction mid corner and go off. It was like the track was dirty or they were on super hard tires or something, weird. Just the little bit I watched I saw Frentzen, Button, Ralf, Irvine, and Montoya go off.

I'm interested in seeing how the new chassis will work on carpet. I would think with a setup similar to a sedan it should run pretty well. What's everybody think?

Cadet, too bad you guys couldn't get the carpet in at Mansfield before I moved. I may have stayed! I knew that they were talking about it when I was still there. I know the layout will be funky with outside of the track shaped the way it is. I wish you guys the best and hope you get enough interest to keep it going. I know a few guys I worked with down there will come over when you get it done.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by psycho
..... I'm driving Ralf Schumacher's Williams/BMW.
Gosh darn it. ... I was going to do the Williams/BMW
I guess I'll do the McLaren/West or Jag. don't want to see all red at the Castle Classic this year.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Damn....i forgot about F-1 practice.....aaaargh....oh well...Speed channel will prolly replay it ....did ya'll see where Speed channel screwed up last week.....I'm watching Motorcycle racing "live" from Sears point....and on the 2nd or so lap, they cut in with a NASCAR wrap up show....cause the Nascar race had just ended.....hell...were gonna see 40 freakin' hours of wrap up shows the rest of the week...give me a Nascar break.....Speed did say that they wouldnt do it again...guess the Bike guys gave em' hell.......idiots

I Promise i'll never talk about putting any thing other than an F-1 body on a F-1 chassis.......damn thorazine prescription ran out.....so i have an excuse....
Old 05-10-2002, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

rc-zombies

So are you planning on racing at Castle during the season? It looks like we will have a pretty good turnout in the F201 class. I hope it doesn't kill the current F1 class. We're racing them at Sheldons tomorrow, so you should come out and race with us! So far, I think we have 5 cars in the class. There may be more that haven't said anything yet, though.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just bought the F2001 last week. Only put together the chassis. The kit actually is really cool. The body is amazing! But it needs a few things taken car of, like the axle slop and much thicker oil if you are going to stick with those stock shocks. But overall, this kit looks like it will be a lot of fun to drive!

However, I need to buy that Mitsubishi Pajero kit right now (yes, I NEED to buy it, heh heh , so now I'm stuck having to sell my F1 so I can get the Pajero! My F1 is over in the for sale thread if you are interested.

thanks!
B
Old 05-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

psycho

I will try to.... but definately be there for the Classic. It's hard to make it down sometimes... long commute from Vallejo. Well to think about it... it's not that long of a drive... If I can make to SWR at Roseville, which is farther than Castle. Plus there's no interest so far from any of the SWR racers in starting a F201 spec class. I'll try to drop by at Sheldons to watch. Don't have my car ready yet. Waiting for the option parts to arrive from Japan. anyday now....
Old 05-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Regional Moderator

Hey Darksied, have you ran your F201 yet? How is it compared to the F103's?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Regional Moderator

Mike F: no I haven't run it "for real" yet. Mainly just shooting around the house and doing burn outs on the kitchen floor. I was hoping to take it to my local small track tomorrow, but this damn midwest weather just doesn't look like its going to cooperate with that plan.

psycho: Man, with the low nose that the F2001 has, doesn't it look weird painted up as a Williams which has a pretty high nose? At least you went with Ralf and not that.....other guy!

Although it came with the body I want, Tamiya really should come out with some more body kit options. Its a must if they really want to revive F1.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Regional Moderator

I hear you. looking to see how it performs against the F103. A few guys have some here in Memphis but haven't ran it either, next weekend maybe.

I'm just getting use to my F103 and kicking some butt with it. I went back to the RS 540, didn't like the P2K2 in that kit. I'm at 3.45 and it has all the speed I need.

Good racing with yours and keep us posted.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:17 PM
Regional Moderator

Yeah, the F103 has all the speed anyone should want with just the 540 motor. The F201 on the other hand, might require a little more. Just holding it in my hand and listening to the RPM, or running in through the living room, I see it will probably need at least a stock motor to give me the speed I'm looking for.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Darkseid

Oh, I know you're not gonna start bagging on my boy Juan! The only reason I went with Ralf was because I had helmet decals for him. It doesn't look quite right with the Ferrari nose, but at least it's different.

Mike F

What was the problem with the P2K2? The car should be awesome with that motor in it.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

psycho...

Do you know what motor they decided on for Castle? Spec 19t I hope...
Old 05-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Regional Moderator

psycho: you should know by now from the F1 thread, that I just had to take a quick shot at him!

I hear you on the-at least its different-front. I would probably be doing the same thing if I wasn't a MS fan.

Tamiya definitely needs more body sets.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

If ya'll get a chance...check out a movie called..Champions forever-the quick and the dead....it was made in the 70's and, it is unbelievable.....this is when Drivers had kahunas the size of coconuts.....Jackie Stewart is king and Peter Revson is still alive....some of the footage is shocking and for lack of a better word macabre(sp)...if you are a F-1 fan...or a racing fan...this is a must see...........it is on the Speed channel, i believe it comes on again, later tonight.

Schumie gonna get the pole tommorrow?????prolly
Old 05-11-2002, 06:14 AM
Regional Moderator

He pyscho - nothing really wrong with the motor, I just think it's too much for my F-1. I had just as much speed with my RS 540 but I had more control as oppose to the P2K2. The car would spin right out of the gate. I loosened the diff more and it didn't seem to help it much. I guess I could of adjusted my radio to compensate but I thought why do that when the RS 540 worked well. I had it gear too low and I think that was the problem, I was in the 4 to mid 4's with that RS 540 and it didn't seem to have the punch I needed plus the motor and batteries were seriously hot, only after 5 minutes of racing. Once I geared it lower, 3:4 the motor was cooler so was the batteries and I had the punch and speed I needed. I knew that either I silver can or that RS motor would be what I needed but I wanted to experiment with a stocker.

So pyscho - you guys are doing a seperate class for the F201's?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.