Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stormer Serpent S120 conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Stormer Serpent S120 conversion.

Seeing as we are just a few days from having stuff in hand, I thought I'd drop this on ya. We've been racing the S120 as delivered. I like the car. But there are a few things that I would like to have seen slightly different... so we changed them. I've been talking with Ciccarello about some of these ideas, and haven't even shown him this conversion yet... Ha ha Chicky. The prototype of our stuff was good and I was happy with the results.. We are to the "pre-production" side of it, so I've decided to mention it. These will be for sale, shortly.

This first S120 part is a new T-bar and upper deck,
works with all existing Serpent S120 parts. Changed the T-bar design to increase durability and improves side bite.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=STO411002

The second part is a complete re-do of the back of the car, and is a complete pod conversion. Basically, we made a new pod better balanced for brushless among other small refinements. and I made changes that I found "interesting" to the flex and dampening. The newest version of the pod is set up so that the axle is in the dead center of the adjuster with a 43mm tire and 4mm of ride height.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=STO411001

Long story short, our pod also converts the S120 to the 12r5 center shock and side damper, and is also drilled to accept standard damper tubes for folks that like to use those. T-bar has also been re-shaped and altered to use Associated pivot sockets, 12L or 12r5. I find the 12r5 sockets to be a bit more sexy. But they limit the ability of what can be done using whats left of the screw as it sticks through the ball for other parts.

I'm only showing these pics because it was the prototype (shown below). And it looks different enough from the pre-production stuff that I'm not as worried about it. Please excuse the wiring, I did the final assembly of this car at the track in between heats. Also the pics are not very "intimate" yet. Closer pictures soon enough.

Serpent is pretty aggressive when it comes to updates, so I wanted to put off discussing this as long as possible. I like Serpent, and hope they are not insulted that we changed things. Their designs are very impressive to me, and I respect their work.

"SPENT", that's an abbreviated Serpent.. IF YOU HAVE IDEAS that you'd like to see implemented or changed, PM me. Don't post it here. Different ideas don't stay different for long if they are posted in public places ...lol...
Attached Thumbnails Stormer Serpent S120 conversion.-regina_3_2.jpg   Stormer Serpent S120 conversion.-regina_2_2.jpg   Stormer Serpent S120 conversion.-regina_1_2.jpg  

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-23-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Wow!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Where did you get the black prism wheels?? Those are nice!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Very nice and interesting work there.

Only one problem, I think it's kinda funny that such a new, expensive and hyped car would need such a conversion.

Sorry, I couldn't help the cheap shot. I'm old school when it comes to 1/12th scale.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Where did you get the black prism wheels?? Those are nice!
New Parmas.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
New Parmas.
Ahhhh duh! There on Stormers main page...
Old 02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
Very nice and interesting work there.

Only one problem, I think it's kinda funny that such a new, expensive and hyped car would need such a conversion.

Sorry, I couldn't help the cheap shot. I'm old school when it comes to 1/12th scale.
No troubles. You and me on the old school, I'm with ya. These are things I wanted to see, not necessarily Serpent.

In a world where things are hyped and "optimized" for the sake of luxury, I'm here to say, it might not be everybodys cup of tee. The anti sales pitch if you will.

I like the changes, a few others like it, and here we are. I'd be surprised if we sell a few dozen of them. But most 1/12th enthusiasts do it for the love of the car. It makes me happy.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

No offense Bob, but you took a beautiful looking car and kinda made it look pretty plain. One of the appeals to me (and probably you) about the serpent is how unique it is on look and function. I was checking out Mobers ride in FL and was floored by how stunning the car is, especially with the new aluminum read pod. Have you considered some anodizing on your new parts other then what looks like black? Just my input, Good luck with your new endeavor!

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Seeing as we are just a few days from having stuff in hand, I thought I'd drop this on ya. We've been racing the S120 as delivered. I like the car. But there are a few things that I would like to have seen slightly different... so we changed them. I've been talking with Ciccarello about some of these ideas, and haven't even shown him this conversion yet... Ha ha Chickie. The prototype of our stuff was good and I was happy with the results.. We are to the "pre-production" side of it, so I've decided to mention it. These will be for sale, shortly.

This first S120 part is a new T-bar and upper deck,
works with all existing Serpent S120 parts. Changed the T-bar design to increase durability and improves side bite.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=STO411002

The second part is a complete re-do of the back of the car, and is a complete pod conversion. Basically, we made a new pod better balanced for brushless among other small refinements. and I made changes that I found "interesting" to the flex and dampening. The newest version of the pod is set up so that the axle is in the dead center of the adjuster with a 43mm tire and 4mm of ride height.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=STO411001

Long story short, our pod also converts the S120 to the 12r5 center shock and side damper, and is also drilled to accept standard damper tubes for folks that like to use those. T-bar has also been re-shaped and altered to use Associated pivot sockets, 12L or 12r5. I find the 12r5 sockets to be a bit more sexy. But they limit the ability of what can be done using whats left of the screw as it sticks through the ball for other parts.

I'm only showing these pics because it was the prototype (shown below). And it looks different enough from the pre-production stuff that I'm not as worried about it. Please excuse the wiring, I did the final assembly of this car at the track in between heats. Also the pics are not very "intimate" yet. Closer pictures soon enough.

Serpent is pretty aggressive when it comes to updates, so I wanted to put off discussing this as long as possible. I like Serpent, and hope they are not insulted that we changed things. Their designs are very impressive to me, and I respect their work.

"SPENT", that's an abbreviated Serpent.. IF YOU HAVE IDEAS that you'd like to see implemented or changed, PM me. Don't post it here. Different ideas don't stay different for long if they are posted in public places ...lol...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
No offense Bob, but you took a beautiful looking car and kinda made it look pretty plain. One of the appeals to me (and probably you) about the serpent is how unique it is on look and function. I was checking out Mobers ride in FL and was floored by how stunning the car is, especially with the new aluminum read pod. Have you considered some anodizing on your new parts other then what looks like black? Just my input, Good luck with your new endeavor!
None taken. I absolutely agree with you 100%. It's what attracted me to the car. That pod was BRILLIANT, and kudos to Serpent for it.

But it's a toss up. Should a guy bother with a T-bar if the stock pod isn't worthy of a brushless motor? Where do you stop altering...? That's what happened here. the final version of the car uses only the Serpent ride height adjusters and the front end. It's possible that we built a less optically appealing car. But I think the changes we made, when I finally discuss them will hit home and make sense.

I have about 100 hours in designing JUST the motor side pod plate. I'd make 3-4 versions, show them around, make a few more, until I felt it had function I wanted and some optical appeal. Hopefully you'll see the difference.

Remember this is not the final version.. Doesn't even really look like this anymore, which is why I decided to show it, I'm less worried about the design being shown. I think when it's done, you'll find unique bits that bring some things to the table.

Problem with anodizing is the main colors are used and no matter what we do somebody is gonna flip us crap for ripping off somebody elses color.

CRC is known for red,
Serpent for orange,
Cyrul for Green,
Purple is kind of an HPI, Hot bodies thing.
Xray just did the xII in black.
12r5 is blue
Corally did red.

This is likely to be a small run deal. It's going to be pretty obscure.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1. Was it only a rumor that Serpent designed the Associated car? Or was there any form of truth tied to that?

2. Is there anything to the premise that a lot of 1/12th guys are using the Tekin RS, while I see TC racers still using the TC spec?

3. Has anyone ever screwed up a spur gear from getting rear ended?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
1. Was it only a rumor that Serpent designed the Associated car? Or was there any form of truth tied to that?
This is the 8th car I've worked over in a major way or designed. and each reminds people of my style in some way. Serpent has a feel and a style, and so does Associated. I've built both and they did not feel as though they were designed by the same person or crew. And it it's the person that sets the tone and feel for the car, screw count and size, fillets, curves, part interaction, clever workarounds, sexy bits.

my stuff tends to be a touch ornate. Even to the point of choosing it over function.

Actual car companys not "dabblers" like us, need to make a living off just the car and need to watch things like "yield" and materials. Where as, I don't particularly care if our lower pod plate uses 30% more material.

Or, you were had a rhetorical statement going on and it didn't really require an answer. In which case, disregard the above.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Bob. That was actually a pretty good answer. How does the most recent Associated car compare to the pre Thunder Tiger designs?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Thanks Bob. That was actually a pretty good answer. How does the most recent Associated car compare to the pre Thunder Tiger designs?
personal opinion only. Well thought out. Better molding and the machining shows more thought. Pod plate is 1/2" short than mine and still has excellent adjustment. Round ride height adjusters take up a lot of real estate.

And I like the shocks.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Bob!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

CAD image. This looks "spammy" and I apologize for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.