Wiki Posts
Search

MVP rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Default MVP rebuild

hey all,

I just recived a MVP from a friend. The whole thing came in peices. I know the basic way to put it back together, but I just have a couple of questions.

1) There are three shim type washers 2 are metal and one is not metal. Where do these go on the armatrue?

If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,
Old 11-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Every motor gets shimmed differently, in order to reduce play of the armature, and center the arm in the magnetic field.

Some of the washers go on the bottom of the armature, some go above the comm, you just have to experiment. Once you think you have it shimmed, screw the endbell back on, spin the armature by hand, and then check the play by pushing and pulling on the armature (spin it again before each test). You want a small amount of play... too much and you will be inefficient, too little and it can bind or rub.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Oops had the name swapped.

Tux:

RL Junior is right, however to get your motor together with what you have should be pretty simple so long as the one NON-METAL washer is the right one. It should typically be a brownish color and looks like its made from a fiberous material. That will ALWAYS go right up next to the comm (what the brushes ride on) and then you will put one of the metal washer on top of that. Put the other metal washer at the other end opposite the comm. Slide it in (don't let the washer on the end you put into the can slide off and possibly jam the motor if you run it) and then its put the endbell on.

There are all sorts of ways to tweek and adjust your motors using different thickness washers. But you should go and read up on that in some of the motor threads here, or for LOTS of motor information you can go to rccars.com and the motor forum there and read up on motors as well.

Scott

Last edited by Shayd; 11-18-2003 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks.

Yea the non-metal is a brownish fiber type disc.

Thanks for the info on the other forums.