Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LRP Sphere TC Spec, is it still worth getting ? >

LRP Sphere TC Spec, is it still worth getting ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP Sphere TC Spec, is it still worth getting ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The new version may come out soon, BUT the TC spec, and even the regular 2007 version are great. The ONLY issue that I would be concerned about is a 3.7V mode of operation for 1Cell lipo pan cars. I would say, UNLESS you are in the top 10% of drivers, you won't pick up lap times, purely based on my experience buying the latest and greatest.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

What class do you run, if you run 13.5 or higher turn motors I would wait for the newer stuff, or just buy the SPXX stock spec that's out now. If your running a 3.5T motor, are you really going to notice any more speed? it might be smoother, but the tc that's out now is a very smooth controller to begin with.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

The TC Spec won't be outdated anytime soon. Many still run the older Sphere speedos with great success. If you run modified classes the TC Spec is still the standard. The DHI Cup and the EURO were filled with TC Spec ESC's. The winner of the "Super Stock 9.5T" class at the DHI Cup used a TC Spec, not the SPX or SXX. These were 5-Cell events. At the Worlds(6-cell) the hot conditions combined with an extra cell saw drivers using the SXX to better deal with the demanding race conditions in Thailand.

These newer "timing on the fly" speedos will mainly show more of a performance advantage in the slower Spec classes (21.5, 17.5, 13.5). Especially on a really big track. A slower 17.5 spec motor hits top speed almost instantly upon entering the straightaway. So the timing advance really has a lot of room on the track(the remaining 80% of the straightaway) to kick in and stretch it legs.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The SC you chose should be based on what class you race the most.
If you are like most people and run with 10.5t or higher winds you will want to get the SPX stock spec #80710.

The new SXX are meant for modified and will not have the new "stock" timing profiles. The main advantages to the new SXX will be better, more precise,tuning options for modified motors and more efficient cooling. Also they did manage to make the footprint of the controller a little smaller than the Sphere Comp case.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeXray
What class do you run, if you run 13.5 or higher turn motors I would wait for the newer stuff, or just buy the SPXX stock spec that's out now. If your running a 3.5T motor, are you really going to notice any more speed? it might be smoother, but the tc that's out now is a very smooth controller to begin with.
Planning on running stock 11.5 class here in Asia but would wanna have the possibility to run mod in the future(still a long way to go )....

So far words from mouth from drivers here locally, all praised the TC Spec compared to other esc out there... I was told to get one but since the new SXX TC SPec is coming out, should I just wait or is the current one would be fine for me?

I'm just afraid that the new SXX would have an even higher price tag as the current sphere tc spec is already costing a fortune for me...

About the Tekin RS Pro, there are some that have tried it here but I have yet to hear any comments on them so far... The whole A-main in the recent national league were using TC Spec....
Old 02-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Tech Adept

I'm also kind of in the same position, i need an ESC for 4.5 turn, i was looking at either the Tekin RS Pro or the LRP TC Spec, this is the first i have heard of the new LRP's.
I'm thinking of going Tekin but i'm not sure.
I have a 4.5 turn BL for racing.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yea looks like its not just me having this dilemma...

shine some light on this boys....
Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tucker101
I'm also kind of in the same position, i need an ESC for 4.5 turn, i was looking at either the Tekin RS Pro or the LRP TC Spec, this is the first i have heard of the new LRP's.
I'm thinking of going Tekin but i'm not sure.
I have a 4.5 turn BL for racing.
A Tekin RS Pro would be perfect. Plus Tekin RS Pro ESCs run very cool and don't need those oversized fans like the brand you mention.

Speak with Randy Pike for more details at how much you can modify your ESC with your laptop or PC using Hotwire.

Plus we'er having a huge race here at The Track. A lot of the pro drivers I saw there are running Tekin. If they do not like how their motors respond, they plug in the hotwire and tune the ESC till they get the response they like.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Yea looks like its not just me having this dilemma...

shine some light on this boys....

Sean C. already posted.. SPX for stock racing and the SXX for Mod!!!

I just bought a SPX for my World Gt, and I'm keeping one of my TC's for my sedan!!!

Maybe I'll get one of the new SXX TC's for the REEDY!!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Goodness gracious... looks like there's a showdown

Tekin sounds great but carrying a laptop to track? That sounds pit space consuming....

SPX for stock and SXX for mod ? Where does the Sphere TC Spec stands then?

I know that the SPX has a revise power profiles with HUGE increase in timing but can i compensate that extra timing with a lower gear ratio instead for additional top end?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

The TC Spec really is a brilliant ESC. It's release was a milestone for the ESC industry; the market is now Pre-TC and Post-TC. Everything Post-TC is very good, but nothing is better.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Adept

I did a bit of a comparison and i'm going with Tekin.
Now i need to save my money haha.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamge
The TC Spec really is a brilliant ESC. It's release was a milestone for the ESC industry; the market is now Pre-TC and Post-TC. Everything Post-TC is very good, but nothing is better.
Pre TC & post TC ? care to explain
Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

The TC Spec raised the bar - big time - on ease of wiring, ease of switching from brushed to brushless, throttle feel, power it got out of spec motors, and incredibly low ESC temperatures. Every ESC that followed had to match it in these abilities, so we now have a generation of extremely good ESCs that are difficult to choose between.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tucker101
I did a bit of a comparison and i'm going with Tekin.
Now i need to save my money haha.
Welcome, brother! You'll quickly learn the workings of your ESC and find help readily available. Plus the Team Tekin drivers are one of the best around. They actually do their best and respond to every PM and emails people send them.

As far as carrying a laptop, it is no problem. If you are a professional and use a laptop at work, barely an issue. Plus my track has a PC already readily available for people to use and tune their ESC. I am sure there are other tracks around the world that have computers/laptops available for people to use and tune their Tekin ESCs. That is an old excuse to down-talk Tekin and ease of programming/tuning via Hotwire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.