R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to brandonchristie
Lightbulb Electric On-Road RC Car Tips And Tricks!

Hey people,
Im Bored and I just thought about a good thread to make.
Tips and Tricks for On-Road Electrics!

Anyone can have there say, Just tell us what are some easy or hard tips and tricks tht you know, from full on racing and just usual bashing. Ovbiously we dont what you to tell us all your extreme secrets, but just some good tips for "noobs" and anyone else.

Try keep it for all cars, But say if you got a car and there faily popular well its ok.
After a couple days or weeks, we will vote on "Winner for the best tip/trick"
Pictures are welcome!

Thanks for paticipating,
brandonchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Not really a tip, but one thing i've learnt from when I started racing is to Watch, listen and learn.

Watch the fast guys and see where the fastest line of the track is.

Listen to what they have to say, but take doubt to anything you're not sure of.

Learn how you can apply their knowledge to your racing.

The rest is just down to how you set your car up and how consistant you are. Tyres are the first thing usually to look at with any setup, as is gearing.

Simply because once you have a car that grips ok and has the right amount of power, the rest is up to you making it work on the track.

An experienced racer can make an ill handling car look good, but they will be fighting with it, rather than racing with it. A less experienced racer with an ill handling car will at best, just be trying to race....

And that is why it's very important to understand how your car is put together, and how different changes make the car handle differently...

There is no substitute for time on the track and the experience that goes with it. Money can only buy you what's good for racing with...
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"The best advice i ever got was to not take everybody's advice"

This can be applied ANYWHERE!
Support your local tracks!--|--e-teamhobbyplex.com--|--corrc.org--|

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Regional Moderator
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee View Post
"The best advice i ever got was to not take everybody's advice"

This can be applied ANYWHERE!
This is soooooooooo true! I have found that in many cases asking the "fast guy" about set-ups may not be the way to go. Now, this doesnt apply to every single fast guy, but as with anything there are acceptions.

I have on a number of occasions asked set-up questions from "the fast guy" and been given answers that went against everything I have read or tested and found to be correct. I have even had a "fast guy offer bunk advice without my asking for it. Is this intentional? Maybe. However, sometimes it may just come down to the fact that in some cases the "fast guy" may have way more raw talent than he has set-up knowledge. As someone already posted someone who truely is fast can take a ill care and make it work.

Dont take this wrong there are plenty of fast guys with good intentions and vast knowledge of how to make a car work. The point Im trying to make is in the case of chassis set-up personal experience is always better than advise. So, do work!
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Agreed to certain situations (also depending on your driving style and how much experience you have as a racer), as I do think that logic does also play quite an important part to setting a car up well.

99% of the time, you don't need to understand how to set a car up to make you race consistantly, (even with a bad tyre choice you can still lap consistantly, albeit with very slow laps)...

But you DO need to know how to understand how to check if something is broken.

However, that will only take you so far.

Understanding the physics of why a car is offloading its rear wheel on cornering, or why droop is so important at making the car handle etc etc can sometimes be explained better by someone who has been racing for a long time, or has a lot of experience in that area.

I have seen a kid going down the back straight and getting frustrated because their steering wasn't centred, and they had no idea how to fix it as they had only just started out racing.

5 minutes later and an adjusted servo horn, and I had that fixed, all good and he went away happy.

You have to remember that r/c attracts a wide range of people, young, old, male, female, newbie to a world champion. With that comes a wide range of knowledge and experience, which can be shared, or kept secret.

If you can keep your car in good condition, and you can race it consistantly, you are half way there.

If you can also set it up well and find the best combination of equipment for your needs, you are on to a winner

Sounds so simple... But you'll never stop learning (and sometimes it will make you quicker), so never think about doing it

I don't think it does any harm to listen to anyone taking the time to speak to you, unless you have a firm reason why you shouldn't be wasting your time with them...

What's the worst that can happen? We make our own decisions as to how we race.... We reap the rewards or "oh damn I messed up" from the end result.

For me, part of racing is the social side to it (and to escape the wife and son for a while )

Opinions are like a..holes, everyone has one so that old saying goes!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My 2 cents , set up your car the way you want to drive it. Your set up might be fantastic to you but for others it wold be crap.
GCT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For carpet foam sedan 17.5/13.5 the most common killer I see is over saucing and improper tire maintenance. I had to learn it first hand,,,,,, multiple times.

I know 'some' people run tires larger, but cutting a tire down to 57.5mm or a little lower usually decreases the amount of chunking and a weird feeling from a car with too much side wall flex.

a good rule of thumb is saucing half the front of your tire (never mroe) and full backs. 10 minutes max. then wipe them off at least 5 minutes before your run. Glue up your side walls if your foams are pulling away from the rim or fraying...... try not to glue rears.

this is especially true if you are going from a lower bite home track to a high bite larger event.
Sponsors for 2013 - NoVak / Team Scream / liquidrc.com

Last edited by The Bear; 02-19-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: clear
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Some good basic advice is binding parts = bad car.

Taking time to make sure all the moving parts can move freely will result in a more consistant car. Not to say that it will improve the handling, but if the car will consistantly perform (possibly badly) it will be easier to see how setup changes affect the car.

Depending on the tolerance of the parts, a little effort may be needed to get the proper fit on suspension pieces. Hinge pins may need to be polished or hinge pin holes slightled reamed out for example. Plastic or graphite parts may be a tight fit, so a little filing or sanding may be needed to allow parts to move freely.
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Erm, may not apply to you depending on how good you are at finding bargains but for most people, 'You get what you pay for' is usually true.
I've done it a few times, luckily now i've grown out of the "buying something because it's cheaper, rather than waiting until next week and buying one that will be much better in the long run" stage.
By the time you've bought the cheaper option 10 times because it keeps breaking, as with most things you're better off waiting and buying the better option (assuming that it isn't just a rip off and actually is better).

Tamiya TL01
Tamiya TA05 (ish)
Associated B4 3.5r
Limerick91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
Tech Champion

A tip taken from Associated and slightly re-worded, re: composite V graphite parts...

A graphite part will NOT be stronger than a composite part.

The graphite parts have less flex, which a good driver who doesnt board tap etc can usually find a few tenths of a second using graphite parts at the most.

Composite parts will have more flex, so wont offer an as sharper handling car as the graphite parts, but should be less prone to breakage.

As a side note, alloy parts, although strong, can bend on impact and cause handling issues- So, they are good if you want to stand a better chance of finishing a race with a car in one piece, but they are usually heavier than composite or graphite, and have the possible added downside of making a car ill handling.

I learnt my lesson by tricking a car out with alloy the hard way in my earlier years of racing, as it drained my bank balance, added weight to the car and eventually gave some bad handling.

Now, ususally I can drive a car without board tapping with composite or graphite parts and realise the err of my ways when I had the all alloy tricked out car.

So, alloy might look nice and usually stay in one piece, but thats the only good thing about it...