Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Choices of Radio >

Choices of Radio

Choices of Radio

Old 11-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Default Choices of Radio

Can someone provide suggestions as to which radio I should buy? I am trying to decide between the M8, 3PK and Ko Propo EX-10.

Here is what I know:

M8

Pros
1. can use novak synth and elimates crystals.
2. good features and display

Cons
1. not the newest technology
2. expensive with the synth
3. no HRS (or HSR)

3PK

Pros
1. full features
2. least expensive
3. HRS is fast

Cons
1. futaba servos are not the fastest
2. need futaba receivers and servos to take advantage of HRS
3. top heavy
4. no synth tx option

EX-10

Pros
1. fastest radio out there
2. newest technology
3. lighter than the others

Cons
1. requires special receiver and servo to take advantage of the faster speed.
2. expensive
3. no synth tx option. synth rx may or may not work (certainly not the HSR feature).

So what do you think? Does the convenience of synth out weight the faster speed? or is it the other way around?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 11-11-2003, 02:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

in reply to the 3pk's cons.

i find that they are fast enough for me but thats just my oppinion.

fair enough.

3. top heavy
i find actually not. to me its an extreemly well balanced radio, so basically its bark is worse than its bite.

i love it and i find its an alroun awsome radio, but i dont own the others so i cant speak for them.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:07 AM
Tech Master

i agree with alfas points.
the 3pk is by far the best radio out there.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

KO's customer service it top notch! If you go to big races, KO has been sending tech reps to the races to provide on-site customer service. The Helios is really a nice radio. If you race in endurance races, you may want to consider that one with the drop/pivot wheel if you get fatigued.

The M8 is nice because it seems if you go to a big race, almost everyone has one if you have any questions on functionality. Yes, with the Synth stuff it is expensive, but if you add up the cost of all the crystals, you'll be cheaper in the long run.

I have not used a 3PK yet, so I don't know much about it.

Don't forget about the Hitec CRX and the JR R1 and XS3. The XS3 isn't as quite as feature rich, but the only thing I miss on it is an ABS feature.

You've got a good problem though, they are all nice radios.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

The M8 doesn't have an ABS function though...
but it can be unlocked, though not sure how...
Old 11-11-2003, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure if you already have done the grip test.

That's important, because if the radio dont feels nice, it's bad. For example I wont get a Mars, since it's too small for my hands.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

A thought about radio speed: If you have to choose, it's far more important to have a fast servo, than a fast radio But if you can get both, well ...
Old 11-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm personally sold on KO, The only manufacturer who's high-end gear I haven't tried in the last 15 years is JR. I started with Futaba, and was unimpressed, then went to Airtronics and the feeling only got worse. Then I got my first KO (the original EX-10) and have had nothing but good luck since. I moved from the EX-10 to the EX-1 Precious, to a Mars, and now a Mars R. When funds allow I will move up to the Helios, the reliability of the gear and the customer support offered by KO are second to none.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

i've been using a futaba 3pk ever since i started racing..i've tried some other radios and it just doesnt feel consistent on my hand....i like the balance and weight of the 3pk and almost all the features of other radios are in the 3pk....

anyways about the cons

Cons
you really don't need to get the same brand for servos..you can use any that suits ur needs

you can use any digital servo on the HRS (i currently use a hitec 5925....not the fastest but it's fast enough for on road and off-road)

3. top heavy
i agree and disagree at the same time with this one...when the antenna is down its well balanced but when you pull it up it gets heavier on the top on a long run...specially when ur running a 15 minute mains

4. no synth tx option
futaba japan has already came out with synth for 3pk..it was featured on one of the japan R/C shows...it hasn't reached USA yet but i'm sure it will come

one more thing i like about my 3pk is how far the steering will turn...i think it goes at least 200 degree from right to left and left to right and around 100 from the center to eather direction.....unlike the M8 the wheel only turn at about 75 to 80 degrees from center and that makes it so sensitive thus making your car hard to drive that goes for the Xs3 too.....thats just my opinion...it's just a matter of getting use to it i guess....
Old 11-11-2003, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would lean towards Airtronics or KO just because I
live in the U.S. and seems to have good customer
service to match thier great products.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have a Helios. Extremely great! Menus are easy to understand and the balance are great.

But Expensive?? I bought mine for 258.90$ from PresicionRC .. i got it in a week with Express shipping

I had a Mars before but it became too small for me and the Helios is much bigger and more comfortable especially with the Wheelextension
Old 11-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

I gotta say, you guys are a great. Just by signing up here it's like I've now got a bunch of friends who all are seasoned RC racers. Thanks very much!!!

To Cole Trickle, I did try the grip test to an extent. However, the hobby shops I visited generally have 2 of the 3, so I did not compare them all at the same time. I find that the M8 is more comfortable than the 3PK for me, and at a different shop I find Helios more comfortable than 3PK. However, I don't prefer them to the point that is a "deal breaker" for me.

I think I am down to these thoughts:

M8: love the synth but worried about getting an model that might be replaced by a newer one soon.

3PK: great prices for the features but may not be comfortable in the long run.

Helios: hear so many great things about it, and I think it has the latest and best technology, but concerned about having to replace my servos and receivers and (for HSR) and the lacking of synth option.

I also considered sticking with my old radio but I am about to buy a replacement servo and build another car and I'd just like to get one set up for all the cars and for years to come.

Thanks again guys!
Old 11-11-2003, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Helios is expensive in the sense that I must replace ALL the receivers and servos as well (at least to take advantage of HSR, one of the major feature and selling point of this radio)...
Old 11-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

AHSR or SHRS gives so little advantage that you can probably notice.. I have tried every profile in the Helios and i actaully drive faster with Standard speed emitting! use a hi speed servo instead..

All i need now is the ICS software to program some cool beeper songs

The 3PK looks like a brick with handle and is top heavy
M8 is equal to Helios in balance (a bit, even if Helios if more balanced) but looks like ****
Old 11-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jeffery, you've got PM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.