Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Choices of Radio >

Choices of Radio

Choices of Radio

Old 11-14-2003, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I didn't mention it in my previous post, but I currently have the Airtronics MX-3! I just returned to r/c and I used to have an M8. The M8 was/is a great radio, but in all honesty, I probably only used 3 or 4 of its many features. I certainly never raced more than 2 classes (1/12th and 1/10th electric touring).

This time around I took a chance and bought the MX-3. Since it is FM and uses the same RX as the M8 I figured it was worth a try.

Well after 2 weeks of racing (since July of '02), I can report that the MX-3 is every bit as reliable as my M8 was. I'm racing 1/12th indoors, so I figured if I were going to have any problem with glitching, indoors is where I would feel it most. Interestingly enough, the MX-3 feels a bit better balanced than the M8. I held a friends M8 then my MX-3 and the M8 is top heavy in comparrison. Like someone else mentioned, I've applied a layer of Tennis racket tape to the handle for my taste (did the same with my M8).

The MX-3 cost me about $89. When I bought my M8 back in '98 or '99 (whenever it was first released) I paid nearly $300.

Anyway, if you don't really use all of the features of the high end radios, you can save some money and go with the lower priced FM radios and get equal performance for 2/3 the price.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Personally I would go for the Helios, I cant see any downside (well, maybe price...)

It might require new servos and RX's, but you could limit these RX's and servos to your main cars....

Or is it the synth module, that matters?
It is the synth. Crystals are pain in the rear. Nevertheless, I too am leaning that way. EX-10 is pretty comfortable. Although I might wait for a bit and see if Sanwa updates the M8 and if Novak comes out with a synth module for the KO.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Ko Propo Radios

here's my two cents worth

i now own an Mars-R EX-1 with the drop down with a sedan wheel. and a EX-10 Helios with the drop down and pivot wheel. here are my favorites about the two:

1. both are comfortable as heck. hold a helios with the drop down and the wheel pivoted out... check out how comfortable and natural your wrists are positioned! good stuff man. and i havent had any trouble with glitching.

2. support.. i race in socal and i always get help from Robert from Ko. He never hesitates to help me with my Ko stuff. Radio, servo, esc... name it, he'll help me.

3. small receivers... altho they're not synth... the receivers are small.. and i only have 3 sets of crystals for each radio. esp with the helios.. i dont have much room in my Yokomo SD..so the helios receiver is nice. if you pick your crystals wisely, you'll only need 3 sets at most.

4. Features.. they have features i dont even know how to use yet.

5. i dont wanna black list other companies. but my Ko Radios just feel like they are of higher quality compared to the others ive owned and held.

6. where else can you get cool colored pads for your radio?!? hahahah

i held the 3PK.. and an M8. great radios with good features. But i'll take my Mars-R and Helios any day.

My only beef is like the other guy, i can only use them once a week!

Originally posted by jeffreylin
It is the synth. Crystals are pain in the rear. Nevertheless, I too am leaning that way. EX-10 is pretty comfortable. Although I might wait for a bit and see if Sanwa updates the M8 and if Novak comes out with a synth module for the KO.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im using a futba radio system, servos and reciever and everything...if i want to switch to Ko or whatever..you think i need to change all my recievers to KO receivers? or im alright with futaba ones?

thanks
Old 11-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jeffreylin
Well, the Graupner XS-6 got a synth module built in.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

How are the triggers on the original KO Propo EX-1's? I know in the past they had very soft trigger springs - have they made them any stiffer or is it still quite soft?

They were definately the softest trigger springs I've seen on the market.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Tech Lord

Originally posted by Paul_Kultcha
How are the triggers on the original KO Propo EX-1's? I know in the past they had very soft trigger springs - have they made them any stiffer or is it still quite soft?

They were definately the softest trigger springs I've seen on the market.
they are quite soft. but if you can ask them for a heavier spring. the helios has a slightly stiffer spring. but nothing where it would give your finger a work out.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Tech Lord

Originally posted by disaster999
im using a futba radio system, servos and reciever and everything...if i want to switch to Ko or whatever..you think i need to change all my recievers to KO receivers? or im alright with futaba ones?

thanks
disaster999 im not sure if they are compatible.

but if you have to switch....

then if you buy an EX-1 Mars-R now..and then buy an EX-10 Helios later.. the Mars-R receivers will be compatible with the Helios radio. altho you wont be able to use the advanced HSR that comes with Helios. Only the regular high speed response.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Love my Helios. Just takes some getting use to. Way too fast!!! Initially a little twitchy for me. Instead of using the exponential, I used another really cool feature. You can turn down the speed of the servo at two different angles. The first 20% of the steering angle I have turned down to 50% speed. The other 80% of the steering angle I have turned all the way up. It works like the exponential but better in my opinion. You cut out the speed where you need to.

On a side note. The LRP Phaser works with the Helios and I think someone mentioned that the NovakXXL works with it as well. You will have to turn off the HSR though.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

I think I am going to get the Helios. Is there any reason to pay extra or wait to get the 75mhz? I've got 27mhz stuff now and they will probably be compatible with the Helios if I stick with 27.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i dont know all the features and functions of the helios but i had a mars r and sold it to get a 3pk

the primary reason was to upgrade to pcm the mars r had no failsafe and if it lost signal the servos went absolutely nuts

i had a KO crystal failure and saw some others have the same thing happen to them

the mars r grip was kinda small but i saw the helios is bigger and i admit i really liked how small and light the mars r was

but as someone mentioned earlier the steering and throttle on the 3pk both have more throw meaning i have more control over my car because for instance pulling the trigger 1/4 inch on the mars was 1/2 throttle but the same pull on the 3pk is probably only 1/3 throttle same with steering

even though i use the pcm not hrs i drive better with the slower 3pk than the mars r

i also think the 3pk is slightly easier to use

and something that may not be true for you but for me the KO was much harder to get stuff for i had to order crystalls and recievers but for the 3pk the LHS stocks the stuff i need

i am very very pleased with my choice to switch to the 3pk it had more adavntages than i had thought it would like i said i bought it primarily for the pcm and failsafe but i have found that i was able to improve my driving
Old 11-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default How Exp setting affects ESC

I've just migrated from GP to EP... I'm wondering does exponential throttle settings on my FM radio affects an ESC in the same way as on a throttle servo?
Old 11-17-2003, 03:15 PM

Looks like KO is releasing synth for both ex-1 and ex-10. Not sure. can't read japanese. AD??? Anybody know what is it?

http://www.kopropo.co.jp/html/KOPROP...ewproduct.html
Old 11-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Aku-Man
Looks like KO is releasing synth for both ex-1 and ex-10. Not sure. can't read japanese. AD??? Anybody know what is it?

http://www.kopropo.co.jp/html/KOPROP...ewproduct.html
I don't read japanese, but that module looks like the one for the kyosho mini cars. 27Mhz AM

http://precisionrc.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?BR=KO1&DT=24
Old 11-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by horniez
The M8 doesn't have an ABS function though...
but it can be unlocked, though not sure how...
it is in the top corner of the screen, there is no displayed name for it, it just lets the scroll bar go onto the blank area and abs comes up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.