Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tekin RS/RS PRO on 1s Lipo Q&A >

Tekin RS/RS PRO on 1s Lipo Q&A

Tekin RS/RS PRO on 1s Lipo Q&A

Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bsmooth
What is the smallest 2s receiver pack you can get? have any of you had any issues balancing the car with this? And of course, what are you all using?

Thanks,
Steve
I think more and more people are running a booster instead of a receiver pack.

But, you can get 2C receiver packs down to 150 mAh and they work fine. You are running higher voltage than what most receivers and servo's are designed for unless you have a regulator. In the end it's easier to run a booster and about the same cost if you go with a cheap one.

I haven't had any balance issues with the booster or receiver packs because the car's a little under weight anyways. I just add a little where I need it.

Personally, I would recommend spending the money and getting the Novak booster. It's 6 volts and can easily handle the newer digital servo's.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B

But, you can get 2C receiver packs down to 150 mAh and they work fine. You are running higher voltage than what most receivers and servo's are designed for unless you have a regulator. In the end it's easier to run a booster and about the same cost if you go with a cheap one.

I haven't had any balance issues with the booster or receiver packs because the car's a little under weight anyways. I just add a little where I need it.

Personally, I would recommend spending the money and getting the Novak booster. It's 6 volts and can easily handle the newer digital servo's.
Thanks Fred,

i'm running a Spektrum receiver, so i'm concerened about the voltage dropping issues. I have to double-check, but i think the Spektrum has its own internal regulator to handle the 7.4 input voltage (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Last, i want to leave the main battery alone so the motor can use all of that wonderfull 3.7volts .. that all us ROAR members have succumbed to.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Outofcash
I've heard the losi micro-t lipo works fine but you have to remember to charge it between runs. It is 180mah 7.4 v. I haven't tried it my self yet.
Thanks,
i'll look that up.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run Novak boosters in my cars. It's easier then a receiver pak. I put my switches from my RS in a place where a turn marshal can't see them for safety sake.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lidebt2
I run Novak boosters in my cars. It's easier then a receiver pak. I put my switches from my RS in a place where a turn marshal can't see them for safety sake.
The TQ now comes with an inline switch. I have V200 in the RS, 1S lipo enabled and custom voltage cutoff set at 3.0V. The switch for the TQ and the RS are exactly the same. I mounted them next to each other I turn them both on and both off.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Fred,

You have mentioned this before about the Novak booster. Is the full 6 volts giving you a performance advantage over the TQ booster?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Ran mine in GT10 today outdoors with 1s lipo.

Novak 10.5SS with 2mm of added timing?

On ESC;
Max Timing
Max turbo

Motor never got above 45degC (it never seems to change no matter what I do! )

After turbo had finished kicking in I was on par with most of the 4cell cars.

Skiddins
Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bsmooth
Thanks Fred,

i'm running a Spektrum receiver, so i'm concerened about the voltage dropping issues. I have to double-check, but i think the Spektrum has its own internal regulator to handle the 7.4 input voltage (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Last, i want to leave the main battery alone so the motor can use all of that wonderfull 3.7volts .. that all us ROAR members have succumbed to.
If I remember the receiver is fine with the higher voltage but they pass the receiver pack voltage directly to the speedo and servo. This is a little iffy with some speedos and servos. I'm too old and lazy to mess with charging a receiver pack any more. I'd rather switch it on and go.

My LiPo receiver pack was worthless after a few months. I don't think they like the high draw of the new servo's (most are 10C). That was a couple of years ago though.

Originally Posted by march to my own
Fred,

You have mentioned this before about the Novak booster. Is the full 6 volts giving you a performance advantage over the TQ booster?

Thanks
You'll notice a little difference with the servo being faster and holding better in the high speed sweepers. It's a matter of preference as to what you like.

Oh, plus the whole Novak customer service thing. Maybe Tekin will release a simple booster...
Old 08-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

If I remember the receiver is fine with the higher voltage but they pass the receiver pack voltage directly to the speedo and servo. This is a little iffy with some speedos and servos. I'm too old and lazy to mess with charging a receiver pack any more. I'd rather switch it on and go.

My LiPo receiver pack was worthless after a few months. I don't think they like the high draw of the new servo's (most are 10C). That was a couple of years ago though.

You'll notice a little difference with the servo being faster and holding better in the high speed sweepers. It's a matter of preference as to what you like.

Oh, plus the whole Novak customer service thing. Maybe Tekin will release a simple booster...

Last edited by Josh Keller; 09-26-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Josh Keller
I hope Tekin releases a booster. Or maybe a 1S LiPo specific RS? Only time will tell I guess. Maybe Jim or Randy can let the customers/supporters know. I know I'll wait for one.

Josh
I'm hoping for an esc with the booster built in please
Old 09-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Has anyone had a problem with the Tekin RS Pro and the Novak Booster?

I was running yesterday and a couple of times I got what appeared to be a small glitch when under load, then in a later race, I lost it all for a second or so....just enough to crash at high speed and damage the car.

I didn't get this when running the LRP SPX.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Josh Keller
I hope Tekin releases a booster. Or maybe a 1S LiPo specific RS? Only time will tell I guess. Maybe Jim or Randy can let the customers/supporters know. I know I'll wait for one.

Josh
I asked a while back and Randy said probably not as it would increase the footprint of the controller and increase manufacturing costs. The software already can do 1S and the the voltage cutoff can be set for 3.0V and up if you select custom in the slider. Soldering in the TQ booster was pretty painless, so I'm not complaining and ordered another SMC 1S and TQ booster combo from TQ.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins

I was running yesterday and a couple of times I got what appeared to be a small glitch when under load, then in a later race, I lost it all for a second or so....just enough to crash at high speed and damage the car.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Skiddins
I had the same thing happen a few times this weekend and I am not certain, but here's what I suspect was happening with mine.

I think my esc receiver plug wires were a little tiny bit loose in the harness. I run with a TQ booster and leave my esc switch off. I think when I would enter a corner or get on power hard, the wire would create an open circuit turning the car off for a fraction of a second. Then it would reconnect, but the esc would have to go through its "recognizing" phase before you get control again. It was driving me nuts! I swapped out receivers, reset the VR on my radio, rebound the receivers, differerent lipo transmitter pack, reset the esc software, everything! I would be running well, go into a corner and then it would just pile drive into the boards. I'd pick it up once I got off the stand and everything was working perfect. I will be leaving my esc switch on now from now on and rewiring my esc receiver plugs to make sure I don't get this any more. Your mileage might vary!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Skiddins

Ive run both the TQ and novak one without any problems. Make sure all your connections are solid.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Pictures of the World GT 2009 spec car (as the World GT rules stand):
CRC GenX 10
Lilac tires
13.5 motor
1S battery
Regulation body

Battery is the SMC 4900 with a TQ Booster for electronics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.