Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HPI Cup Racer 1M >

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

"On Order" doesn't look promising unless they have agreed internally at HPI that they are going to devote production time to forming these bodies for a sadly discontinued product. HPI should reinvent the Cup Racer with an improved version and continue to produced these bodies along with issuing new ones.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

...cup racer v2 -i like!
well, will just have to enjoy my 2 CR'ers for now.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool cup racer fan

Originally Posted by CarerraRSeattle
"On Order" doesn't look promising unless they have agreed internally at HPI that they are going to devote production time to forming these bodies for a sadly discontinued product. HPI should reinvent the Cup Racer with an improved version and continue to produced these bodies along with issuing new ones.
That would be grate. I wish they would with some new upgrades. Some new
bodies would be way cool. And the old ones. Well till then injoy what you got.
Happy racing
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

I emailed HPI last week,
(in their email response they explicitly state that no portion of their email can be copied in any way shape or form) ...so i'll paraphrase my question and their answer (hope that is legal)?

I had asked if the CR'r plastic bodies would continue to be manufactured and sold. And, if so, when they may be available.

The response I received was vague at best and didn't really answer the question. What I surmised was that no new bodies would be manufactured but that they still had some limited stock that they'd be making available. They told me I could check an online hobby retailer (won't name names), and that they'd be available from that retailer in Mid-July.

--
That particular online hobby retailer's "stock status" stated that the Porsche body would be available in "late May", then that status was updated to "early June", then "Mid June", then "on order" and now "Mid July". So, my feeling is that the response I was given from HPI was just them checking what that particular online hobby retailers stock status was and relaying that back to me. It appears from the HPI email URL I received that they may have some kind of partnership w/ that particular online hobby retailer (as the URL used was not HPI, but a particular product line sold on that retailers store). I have a hard time believing that more Porsche bodies will be created, there may be more stock?? -yet it will be seen whether or not that is true and if they'll be made available?

So, I am afraid this may truly be the end of support for the CR'r. ..I'll be enjoying my 2 CR'rs even more knowing they are rare! ...fortunately I stocked up on a lot of spares, including 1 of each body (still in their plastic bags).

...thought I'd pass this on. Nothing you probably didn't already know or suspect.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, I tried to order the body directly from HPI when they used to sell direct and with a substantial mark-up! They (HPI) cancelled my order and I was told to order from their distributor/hobby store Horizon or Tower.
I also received an email stating that Horizon Hobbies will be the distributor of HPI in the U.S.
Again I did have a conversation with HPI customer service and their response to my question to the production of the Porsche body in particular was that they will produce more if and when there is an opening in production from making bodies for their current models. I was also told that the vacu-formed bodies are done here domestically. I'm hoping that with enough back orders for bodies might prompt them to make more?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, I purchased my Drift CR kit and I have built it as the Porsche Carrera RSR.

I have the following parts available directly to anyone who posts here before I put these up for auction elsewhere:

Toyota Levin body, brand new in the plastic along with the tires and wheels, $50.00 plus shipping.

HPI red brake calipers only from the brake rotor set. I've used the gold calipers and rotors. $11.00 postage included to CONUS.

The stock chassis top and bottom plates. $27.00 postage included to CONUS.

Please PM me if interested. Available until 7/1 or until sold. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi Racers,

Finally back in stock- limited qty's!

http://www.exotekracing.com/cup-racer-alloy-drive-cup/
Attached Thumbnails HPI Cup Racer 1M-exo1115.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Finally back in stock- limited qty's!
Awesome! -picking some up
Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks MikeR! I will order mine Friday!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ordered mine and just in time too. Broke my cup even with the modified piano wire inserts. Thanks Mike
Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool cup racer fan

Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How much is the hpi porsche body worth. I have 3 brand new. I'm thinking maybe I sell one if the price is right
Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Just an FYI. If anyone has the crx chassis conbersion from exotek for sale pm me. I am rdbuolding my CR.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

How much is the hpi porsche body worth. I have 3 brand new. I'm thinking maybe I sell one if the price is right
The Porsche body originally listed for $46 (msrp).
You could get them for about $34 via online retailers.

BUT, it's all about availability now.

As of now they are NOT available and one could get one on eBay for about $50-$60 shipped (when they are listed of course). Provided they stay unavailable I would guess that prices may continue to go up? ...If you were to list yours for sale I'd say $50 - $60 is not unreasonable.

BUT, I noticed that Tower just re-listed the Porsche body as being available in "Early July", (this is about the 4th re-listing of the stock in the past month). It was "Mid July" previously. One thing that is interesting, Tower had ALWAYS sold the Porsche body for $34, (I know because i've bought several and have the page cached on my tablet -which still says $34). ...They just re-listed the body for $39, -so apparently they are aware that they can get more than $34 for it.

So,
IF they become available in the next few weeks they are worth about $40 + shipping.

IF they don't become available well then, prices will continue to go up. You can wait a few months or more then you may be able to easily get $60 - $75??? Seems crazy, but I saw a bunch listed for $58 + shipping ...I believe they all sold.

Anyway, if you want to sell me yours i'll gladly pay you for it, -i just don't want to pay $50 or more ...in my opinion there are still plenty of great bodies available for the CR'r for way less (check out ABC hobby for example).
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

for what its worth, those expected dates at towerhobbies are usually way off. I e seen them go from Early June to Late June and then all the sudden in stock in late May. I've also seen the dates keep being pushed back for months on end, for example the Prova Impreza, which finally just recently came back in stock.
it seems as though no-one really knows for sure when they will physically be in stock.
it kinda seems as though HPI employees just show up one day and randomly make a bunch of bodies then kinda surprise suppliers with them. at least that how it seems, anyways.
you could list them for $60, then the next day, without warning they are back in stock and no-one will pay above retail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.