R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #1441
Tech Initiate

I ordered the bodies in the understanding that would fit but they donīt. I tested the bodies on a ABC Genetic and they fit ok! I felt a little frustrated but I think itīs a matter of time for getting the right shell.
conejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #1442
Tech Initiate

I don't undestand. 2 mm off and you can't make it fit? That's essentially 1 mm per wheel you might need to trim.

What is the problem?

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #1443
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I thought the Cup Racer can adjust both track width and wheel base to within 5 - 10mm? Wasn't that part of the versatility of the Cup Racer design?

Also about the comment about people having a hardon for the X-patterns, not everyone will run these on prepared surfaces or permanent tracks. Many will run these in parking lots for either bashing or racing in parking lot races. A treaded tire is best for this condition and the good old HPI X-pattern is the best one for this job.

If there needs to be a VW for a Cup Racer how about this instead:

Original

2nd Gen

Latest version
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #1444
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ok...I'll jump on the VW sites in a second but....what the hell is that?? It's HOT ! Isn't that older photo of a scirocco ?
Never mind....got online and looked it up. Shame we won't see it in the states. For those that were wondering..2010 Scirocco R.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #1445
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I thought the Cup Racer can adjust both track width and wheel base to within 5 - 10mm?
The CR has two discrete wheelbases: 210 and 225 mm. You can modify your body to fit by shaving the wheel wells if necessary. Provided the body physically fits over the chassis, this should prove no problem. Trackwidth can also be adjusted in 1 mm increments by using different hubs.

As far as the VW suggestions, I don't think these cars are what HPI is really aiming at. So far their bodies are highly desirable examples of truly classic dedicated sports cars. Although nice, the VW Golf and Scirocco are far from this...

I could see the 914 though...

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #1446
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Also about the comment about people having a hardon for the X-patterns, not everyone will run these on prepared surfaces or permanent tracks. Many will run these in parking lots for either bashing or racing in parking lot races. A treaded tire is best for this condition and the good old HPI X-pattern is the best one for this job.
I've been bashing with MX60 S slicks with no problems at all, it offers so much grip in parking lots that my car tractiion rolls quite easily if I go full throttle from a stand still. Not really sure why you'd want X patterns for bashing since the tread will wear out anyway so you end up with "slicks" pretty fast. Personally I'd like HPI to offer some belted tires for the CR. X patterns would be nice though, more choices is a good thing.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #1447
RMI
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We run the cup racer on a carpet track and after some cooporation and information swapping we were able to get the stock slicks to hook up really nice. Finding a balance between over and understeer was mainly a result of the threaded shocks and good tire prep. Still waiting to hear an update on the production of a stronger front gearbox input cup, can you tell us anything Andy?

Also, I know it's not the direction the Cup Racer was intended, but this is what I would like to see on mine some day.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Cup Racer 1M-1969_ford_boss_302_mustang.jpg  
RMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #1448
Tech Initiate

Finally I can show some pics of my recently finished CR, Hope you all like it.

I installed the wipers like the 1968-69 510, they opened from the center
Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #1449
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default cool

very cool
jrxsMike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #1450
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

has anyone run the cup racer with brushless?> how fast?
rcracingzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #1451
Tech Initiate

I took my CR to a Skate park today and the people let me practice some drift slides, but that takes me to 2 questions:
First, my car got dusted like an off road car, how do I clean it?
Second, I am using the SC-15 and when I got home and inspect my car this ESC case was broken in many parts. How can this happen?

I almost forgot: I spend a wonderful time with my wife and sons, the car handles amazing and I could make very long and fast slides.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:48 AM   #1452
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracingzone View Post
has anyone run the cup racer with brushless?> how fast?
depends on what kind of BL you put in there...

this has got to be the 'oldest' most worn out question on rctech

I've run a 17.5 brushless in mine and they were almost as fast as a 17.5 TC - this was pre-tekin v203 and all the other crazy boosting/turbo settings...I also ran mine with a 27t brushed motor against other 17.5 CRs and was faster, but also broke more crap in the car....

so there's a price for speed and this chassis wasn't build for all out speed runs (sorry HPI), they made it to compete in a spec'ed out class where driving and setup are the deciding factors - not how big of a motor can I throw in it...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #1453
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What brand is your BL motor, and the length (mm) of the shaft from tip to motor case? I have a problem installing my BL motor onto the CR because the shaft is too long to fit in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
depends on what kind of BL you put in there...

this has got to be the 'oldest' most worn out question on rctech

I've run a 17.5 brushless in mine and they were almost as fast as a 17.5 TC - this was pre-tekin v203 and all the other crazy boosting/turbo settings...I also ran mine with a 27t brushed motor against other 17.5 CRs and was faster, but also broke more crap in the car....

so there's a price for speed and this chassis wasn't build for all out speed runs (sorry HPI), they made it to compete in a spec'ed out class where driving and setup are the deciding factors - not how big of a motor can I throw in it...
tsais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #1454
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I want to use the Mamba System if possible. If this is possible, I will get the CR. Can the transmission handle 7700 system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsais View Post
What brand is your BL motor, and the length (mm) of the shaft from tip to motor case? I have a problem installing my BL motor onto the CR because the shaft is too long to fit in there.
rcracingzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #1455
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsais View Post
if you were asking me I had both the Tekin Redline 17.5 and a Banzai/Speedpassion-based 17.5 in mine..

both shafts were long, but didn't interfer with anything

I had more of an issue with the solder tabs restricting the gearing i could run - couldn't get a pinion small enough on it because the motor wouldn't rotate enough to get the pinion/spur to mesh, so i was left with running a higher gear ratio then i felt was 'appropriate' for the car