Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HPI Cup Racer 1M >

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You could use the old Tamiya 60d shaped inserts,i think HPI has them also in 60d and if not try using TC 26mm inserts and cut them to the right diameter.
On top of that you can use the inserts from the rubber F1 tires of Tamiya.
Look on e-bay for these http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT .
Or try making them yourself from old 1:12 foam tires or the older foam tires from Tamiya again for the F1 cars.
These are very nice for making inserts.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by ianc
Hmmm... Very interesting info. The foam inserts that came with the tire were indeed very soft. Where could harder inserts to fit these wheels and tires be purchase? What are they made of?

Thanks for the help,

ianc
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Roy!

ianc
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Your welcome
Now i so need on cup racer for myself
but have to get rid of some other cars before i can buy one

cheers and good luck Roy

Originally Posted by ianc
Thanks Roy!

ianc
Old 02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andyh
...more info soon

In the meantime....

Okay, that does it. Now I really got to have a Cup Racer! BTW will the decal sheet have tail light decals for both the early version (Circular) and the later version (rectangular)?

Any chance for an Alpha GTV6

Or maybe a Bertone/X19?

Or even a 914?

Last edited by YR4Dude; 02-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

With the 2002, Porsche RSR being of an earlier era.. the Alfa 1750GTAm should come before the GTV6 .. Not saying its not a cool car.. it is! However the 1750GTAm is more of a true historic racer and it seems the "new" Cup Racers are following that formula.

In any case the more bodies the better! Keep them comping HPI
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
<PsOp>

Do you guys know where I can buy a porche body for the cupracer?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Towerhobbies has them in stock
Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Motor Selection help

So I am a very avid E-Flight guy and have been flying E-powered planes for 15 years now and am pretty darn good at figuring out power systems for flying but am clueless when it comes to cars. I am pretty sure I want to go brushless and having a hard time figuring out what system to go with. I have looked at the Novak Havoc Spec systems because they seem to be reasonably priced and Novak is a known name but am totally open to any system on the more reasonable side of things. 99% of the time the car will be used for bashing but if a class was to form around here I would spend a little time at the track.

Any input as to what KV motor I should go with would be great.

PS...I will be running on mostly 2S Lipo packs, but will use some 6 cell NiMH packs.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LJH
So I am a very avid E-Flight guy and have been flying E-powered planes for 15 years now and am pretty darn good at figuring out power systems for flying but am clueless when it comes to cars. I am pretty sure I want to go brushless and having a hard time figuring out what system to go with. I have looked at the Novak Havoc Spec systems because they seem to be reasonably priced and Novak is a known name but am totally open to any system on the more reasonable side of things. 99% of the time the car will be used for bashing but if a class was to form around here I would spend a little time at the track.

Any input as to what KV motor I should go with would be great.

PS...I will be running on mostly 2S Lipo packs, but will use some 6 cell NiMH packs.

Cheers,
Jim
Most people who run cars use "sensored" motors. Novaks are strictly "sensored" systems. The motors are rated by the number of turns. An adequate motor for a Cup Racer would be a 13.5 motor. If you want to go wild then try a 10.5 motor but I would not go any further than that for a Cup Racer.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

YR4Dude, do you know if HPI is actually going to make that BMW 2002 available here in the USA?
I went to the HPI Europe website and clicked on the link for the Nurnberg Toy Fair which has pictures of that car as well as some beautiful new F1 cars that are pre-painted and decaled for you; Renault R39 and Williams FW31.

Anyway, I emailed HPI here in the States and they replied that they haven't decided yet if ANY of those cars will be available here.

I sure hope that they do ship ALL of them here as wellas some of the other cars from the Nurnberg show. I guess we all need to email HPi and tell them what we want!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
The tire wear is pretty normal these days with the non shaped and very soft inserts.
It gets even worse if you use non belted tires.
If you drive a Tamiya M03 with m grip,s grip or even the belted a slicks and you use the sponge inserts i distroy my tires within 6 to 8 runs of 8 minutes racing.
If (as i did) u use the hard shaped inserts and i mean very hard inserts the tired do much better and wear a lot more evenly.
Making them hard is using shaped inserts with on top of those a plane hard flat inserts that is a bit wider then the tire inside is.
You then get a perfect wear pattern and as i found out with the M03 a nice steady running car that has a lot of grip and good steering.
Hope this helps a bit for you.

cheers Roy

+1 : Soft inserts cause more friction inside the tyre thereby increasing the tyres temperature, which can lead to premature wear.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Most people who run cars use "sensored" motors. Novaks are strictly "sensored" systems. The motors are rated by the number of turns. An adequate motor for a Cup Racer would be a 13.5 motor. If you want to go wild then try a 10.5 motor but I would not go any further than that for a Cup Racer.
+1: I run a Novak Havoc Sport with 13.5 BL.. car handles the power very well and it does not over heat. I would not put a faster motor than that into the Cup Racer
Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
YR4Dude, do you know if HPI is actually going to make that BMW 2002 available here in the USA?
I went to the HPI Europe website and clicked on the link for the Nurnberg Toy Fair which has pictures of that car as well as some beautiful new F1 cars that are pre-painted and decaled for you; Renault R39 and Williams FW31.

Anyway, I emailed HPI here in the States and they replied that they haven't decided yet if ANY of those cars will be available here.

I sure hope that they do ship ALL of them here as wellas some of the other cars from the Nurnberg show. I guess we all need to email HPi and tell them what we want!
Nurnberg is the show case trade show for all RC companies. The BMW 2002 will be available in the states in a few months. The original person who posted the picture was Andy and he works for HPI in Southern California.

So sit tight and the BMW 2002 will be available shortly :-)
Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Team Lotus

You need to direct your question to andyh. He has ties to HPI. From what I see of the pic of the BMW, it looks very much like a pre-production unit. I'm just hoping that they include the round tail lights on the decal sheet. Of course you'll have to wait a few months for the product to trickle through the distribution chain for it to be available at you local shop.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey,

Just wanted to let you all know that I found a small forum dedicated exclusively to the CR:

http://www.hpicupracerforum.com/crforum/

It is pretty small as yet, but has different sections devoted to various topics and looks like it is getting bigger all the time.

I have no affiliation with the site, but discovered it in a Google search and thought some other people might be interested in checking it out. Cheers,

ianc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.