R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #991
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well,

I finally gassed up my Cup Racer for the first time today since I got it almost a month ago............too bad it was in the house!! I had ACL replacement last Wednesday and finally "found" time to solder everything up. I dropped in a Sidewinder 5700 on 2S with a 37/60 gear and the car still has alot of pep!! Hope to let it run loose by the end of the week!!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 AM   #992
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Andy - what's the 'trick' to using the 'b' plates on the steering knuckles??

I just put mine in and I had to almost unscrew the ball cups on the knuckles that there's practically no screwed in

is there a 'new' turnbuckle that should have been packed in the plates? Because I'm not confident the first time i nudge something the steering rod dont come apart

I also noticed that the aluminum threaded shocks don't come with directions - and there is a part you need from the shock parts tress, but it isn't identified any place..I'm glad I've built shocks like that befor and know that the little retainer spring isn't suppose to sit on the o-ring but on a little black shock bottom
Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #993
Tech Fanatic

Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
Andy - what's the 'trick' to using the 'b' plates on the steering knuckles??

I just put mine in and I had to almost unscrew the ball cups on the knuckles that there's practically no screwed in

is there a 'new' turnbuckle that should have been packed in the plates? Because I'm not confident the first time i nudge something the steering rod dont come apart

I also noticed that the aluminum threaded shocks don't come with directions - and there is a part you need from the shock parts tress, but it isn't identified any place..I'm glad I've built shocks like that befor and know that the little retainer spring isn't suppose to sit on the o-ring but on a little black shock bottom
Hi,

Are you referring to the #87070 aluminum shock bodies or the #87597?

Unfortunately the 87070 shock bodies do not come with instructions but the 87597 should have instructions in them.

In regards to the "B" plates I was informed that you would need to construct a custom knuckle for that option. The "B" plate was the original plate from the initial design of the Cup Racer. The testers then felt that it was a tad too "quick" so we opted for a more stable plate design. having already designed the original plate we didn't simply want to ditch the plate. So it's offered as an option for those who would like to try it.

Thanks,

AH
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #994
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Hi,

Unfortunately the 87070 shock bodies do not come with instructions but the 87597 should have instructions in them.

In regards to the "B" plates I was informed that you would need to construct a custom knuckle for that option. The "B" plate was the original plate from the initial design of the Cup Racer. The testers then felt that it was a tad too "quick" so we opted for a more stable plate design. having already designed the original plate we didn't simply want to ditch the plate. So it's offered as an option for those who would like to try it.

Thanks,

AH
thanks Andy - yes, it was just the shock bodies didn't see the need for the full setup

well, that just plain stinks about the 'b' plates and having to make things up...guess i'm going back to the 'a' plates for this weekend and then try to figure something out
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #995
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BIG DADDY8

Quote:
Cup Racer tires/wheels are a different spec than the "regular" mini size to add to the scale realism of the car (ie. RC car tires/wheels for Mini and 1/10th scale sedans tends to make the cars looks like they have 18/19/20 rims with lo profile tires...)

You can use the "regular" mini wheels/tires with the Cup Racer (...just need to adjust the gearing accordingly)

We ordered the yellow hard 26mm inserts from HPI and were gonna cut them down to the same diameter as the foams that come with the "m" tires. Glue the ends together with shoe goo. Were hoping this will make them last longer and handle better.

#4679 Pro Molded Inner Foam (Hard/Rounded) (Yellow)
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Cup Racer 1M-4679_01m.jpg  
BIG DADDY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #996
Tech Rookie

im looking into buying this car but i was wondering what would be a really good setup. i was thinking something with brushless, a 2.4ghz transmitter and venom nimh batteries but i am open to any suggestions
thanks in advance
nsaltz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #997
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,

AH
AndyH, maybe its time to make a booklet to tell the advanced owners on how to tune this car, I know it is a fun car, but it has an following now.
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #998
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb11 View Post
AndyH, maybe its time to make a booklet to tell the advanced owners on how to tune this car, I know it is a fun car, but it has an following now.
So..when is your manual coming out again? We'll order some

Also In re: B Plates, I meant you need to make a custom length "turnbuckle" not custom "knuckle".
Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #999
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

nobody does manuals better than HPI. I AM NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO DO SOMETHING AS IMPORTANT AS THAT!
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #1000
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8 View Post
We ordered the yellow hard 26mm inserts from HPI and were gonna cut them down to the same diameter as the foams that come with the "m" tires. Glue the ends together with shoe goo. Were hoping this will make them last longer and handle better.

#4679 Pro Molded Inner Foam (Hard/Rounded) (Yellow)

I would like to see how these will work out......
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #1001
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BIG DADDY8

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1129 View Post
I would like to see how these will work out......
I'll let you guys know. Were running the johnson motor with the tazer 15t esc. It's are version of a spec class and it seems to be taking off pretty well. It's all based on driving ability and not who has the biggest wallet. Were trying to find a way to get the tires to last more than 6 races(2 weekends) til HPI comes out with a harder compound. I know they can cause they have the material to do it.
BIG DADDY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #1002
Tech Initiate

Questions?? '73 911 Body

Is the '73 911 body shown in the Cup Racer video on HPI's website available yet?

Thanks!

Daddy-o
Daddy'o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #1003
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy'o View Post
Is the '73 911 body shown in the Cup Racer video on HPI's website available yet?

Thanks!

Daddy-o
Not yet, the RSR will be out really soon.

Thanks,

AH
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #1004
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (<$80) brushed ESC to run a silver can or other "scale" motor (20+ turns)?

My only requirement is that it have an intergrated li-po cutoff. If I can't find one in this price range, I'll just go brushless.

Thanks,

Lamar
t0p_sh0tta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #1005
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think you should just go with an independent lipo cut off. Novak makes them. I dont think you are going to find a brushed ESC with a built in cut off. If you are half cocked to go brushless then I would suggest that you go ahead. I dont think you will be sorry.