HPI Cup Racer 1M >

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Old 07-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8
How does the Tamiya RS540 Sport Tuned Motor 49/62 (black can) work in it?
It seems to have 4500+ RPMs than the silver can. Is it too much for it?
i don't think its a case of 'too much for the car' - its just that for some reason, M-Chassis racing uses the Tamiya Silver can motors

If you read in the ABC MSeries thread, that's what those guys are running...I guess the silver can makes everything 'about even' - even though there are some people that know how to 'work' a silver can motor unfortunately, I'm not one of them

If the HPI Challenges are saying 17.5/27t - then someone thinks they'll be able to handle the power, because I know a decent tuned 27t has WAY more RPMs then any tweaked silver can
Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi, I got my Cup Racer kit on July 2nd. I took some pictures I thought other people might be interested in.

This is my first post on this board so I wasn't able to embed images, so I had to attach them:

cup-racer-kit.jpg - what is included in the kit
finished-levin-cup-racer.jpg - my finished Toyota Levin Cup Racer

My setup:

Airtronics MX-3FG FHSS-2 Transmitter w/ Receiver (new!)
Airtronics 94102 Servo (had laying around)
Futaba MC330CR ESC (had laying around)
Trinity P2PK Pro Motor (had laying around)
DuraTrax Piranha 2000mAh NiMH Batteries (new!)

I got this kit for parking lot drifting. I was looking at the HPI E10 Drift, but also really wanted to build another kit. When I found the Cup Racer, there wasn't any other option.

I still have yet to run it (besides tormenting my animals in the house), but from what I've read on this thread, I'm guessing my P2PK Pro motor is going to be too much for the car. I have the HPI X-30 motor on order.

I'm also super interested in getting some non-drift tires just to see how the car performs. Haven't been able to find those anywhere yet either.

I'm not too sure about my servo choice. At first I was thinking I wanted one of the low profile ones to do the vertical mounting position, but then I saw Hara's setup and if he does side mount, that's more than enough for me. :P

Any advice? I'd gladly take it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed building the kit and wanted to share with the others on this board...and also say "Hi."

Hi!
Donovan
Attached Thumbnails HPI Cup Racer 1M-cup-racer-kit.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-finished-levin-cup-racer.jpg  
Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Rookie

ive heard a few people talk pretty bad about this kit well i just got mine yesterday and i think its great. a few problems ive heard is with the small selection of gear ratios, i solved this by removing the gear cover and replacing the black plastic spacer under the diff ith 2mm aluminum spacers and now i can get good ratios even for some crazy brushless motors (ive got a 10.5 in it now) i also heard about problems with certain batteries i solved this by placing the small body mount(p/n 85277-17 over the battery cover mount and use an exsisting hole in the upper chassis for my one plu and did a little dremal work on the battery cover dosnt keep the battery super close to the shaft but it works good hope this helps some one.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I need some advice.....

I have had my kit sitting for 3 days and I haven't even opened the shipping box!! Here is my situation. I really like the car and I have always wanted a "mini" to have as a play car. However, I do plan to run brushless and lipos as that is all I have.I would like to make this car a 50mph or so play car that can give me 20 minutes or so on a pack. For you guys that have ventured alittle with the brushless already......WILL IT HOLD UP???

I have read some mixed opinions and I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel..........

Your input is greatly appreciated and please hurry as the desperation to tear the box open is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Rookie

i have a 10.5 in my car right now with a lipo pack ran car for about 45min so far i started the car with a pretty low gear ratio and slow been raising it im running foams on the car right now. i have the 510 and the rear rims are 3mm offset and the tires rub the body so im going to get the 0 offset. with the foams its a little twichy hopfully the rubber will calm it down. when you build the kit beware of the smallest e clips you ever seen i lost a few to the crpet but it came with extras
Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Are you running 1/10 foams or M0-3 foams?? Also, how many milliamps are you running??
Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

i built mine saturday night, ran it a bit sunday and a little more monday night. I havent gone through one 2s lipo battery and already need new tires and to replace the 85281 drive shaft piece. I built it using a Castle creations momba max 5700. I expected to upgrade what was going to break before i got it 100%
this is a replacement for my nitro rs4 mini, and love it.
it can handle this power with just a few upgrades i think.
I Bought the 510 kit and the 3mm rear wheels do seem to rub, they also rub on my civic hatch body.
the stock tires got very grippy when warm and covered the chassis in rubber dust on just this little use.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Rookie

im running parma 1/10 foams trued down to the same size as the factory cup tires, as for the battery its a 3700 25c 3 racing pack. im running a 102/22 64 pitch gears right now motor still fairly cool after 10min of running so add some more gear to it to see what it will do.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by five&dime
I am having trouble with my rear diff. It is binding for some reason. I followed the instructions precisely. When I turn it it spins free until about 3/4 of the way through the revolution. Then it binds. There doesn't seem to be any problems with the gears. As I start to tighten the screws that connect each half of the diff case, it gets worse.
i have the same issue, what did you do. I just ran mine to free it up. Hopefully that fixed it for me
Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Questions??

I see all these hop-up parts from HR. Is any body making a hop up for the drive line piece (85281) SOON? Anybody know????????
Old 07-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default check entry 728 in this thread by tsais

www.tsais.com, may have more transmission parts available in a month or two.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey 1555Racing, have you installed the motor mount yet?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default For RCTECH.net Cup Racer Owners Only!

The TSAIS Team wants to offer something to cheer you guys up during this slow economic situation, so we put aside 10 motor mount sets for RCTech.net Cup Racer owners at a discounted rate from 07/09 to 07/12 midnight CST.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

The kit looks great and all, but the car will oversteer on corner entry and exit. You have to drive it like a M04. This is with any motor faster than the silver can. Somehow, this car does not run like any of the 4wd chassis I've run before. Still waiting on the spring and sway bar sets, and hope they will fix this issue.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default this weekend

Originally Posted by tsais
Hey 1555Racing, have you installed the motor mount yet?
tsais, I'll work on it this weekend......... I'll post pics afterwards. Thx, again....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.