R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #676
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAfrica View Post
What are you guys using in your Silver can setups ,meaning what spur and pinion .Reason i ask is that my Hpi Rs4 mini works great but in the CR its horrible ,no punch.Could it be that the CR has a lot of driveline power lossor just needs breakin?

I am using the Stock spur 65T and changed the pinion to 37T. This took the gear ratio from 5.28 (30T) to 4.28. I wanted to use a 36T but could not find one.
The stock 30T pinion had too much bottom end torque. I would spin out on every turn. The 37T took care of that problem and gave the car much needed top end speed.
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #677
JS
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
and if you paid attention to ANYTHING other then bitching about how HPI designed the car, you would have noticed that the Cup Racer WAS designed for 'spec' racing, either with the Johnson motor or the 30t spec motor that HPI has out...

so, like I said - go away and annoy other people

I agree K_Bojar. +1 for Spec Racing.

I think the design on the Cup Racer is great. So much adjustability. Wheel offset, wheelbase adjustment, Front shock-laydown or upright, etc.
Wait until the aluminum parts and all the other hop-up comes out. I am sure you would be able to build a monster out of the Cup Racer.
You can use the 210mm wheelbase and run with the ABC Genetics. You can use the ABC Genetic bodies as well. Then adjust to 225mm wheelbase and use the HPI Bodies to run in the HPI Challenge, etc.
You can adjust the Wheel base to make any body set look great by filling up those fender gaps. This car is so adaptable.

I was seriously close to selling the Cup Racer when I heard all of the issues it was having. But I built the car with those issues in mind and made sure that there were no binding, etc. Reall took my time and fully tested everything.
I also bought an ABC Genetic. I have not built the Genetic yet. Having too much fun with the Cup Racer

Let's give the Cup Racer a chance. It just came out. Let it finish its debut and get some much needed experience and track time. I hope that HPI will make the needed adjustments in the next releases. If not, I am sure that 3rd party vendors will make the Hop up parts needed to make the Cup Racer competitive. Oops. I think they already have.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #678
JS
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by popdada View Post

you would have noticed that the Cup Racer WAS designed for 'spec' racing

people seem to be having a hard time understanding that HPI is Embracing spec racing to bring more people into the hobby, or people back like me, who want realism in how there cars looks and how it races. They just want to go faster! ABC is doing the same thing…some folks want this hobby only to go in the direction they want.
So true. That is the main reason I got back into the hobby.
Scale realism is the new wave now.
Traxxas did it with the Slash and became so popular. That got me hooked too.
HPI is also coming out with their F1 kit - the Formula 10. Very realistic as well. That should be a good opponent for Tamiya's F103/F104, etc.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #679
JS
Tech Master

Quote:
People always miss the importance of class that level the playing field and make it INVITING for someone to get into racing...

Spec classes always have been and always need to be the backbone of R/C racing - its nice to have the 'balls-to-the-wall' classes, but what the majority of people miss is that those people aren't what make up the majority of R/C racers...its the weekend racer who wants to have fun and hang out fulfilling their racing/speed desires without having to take a 1:1 car on the track (I know that's why I do it)

Either way, when no one is left racing or tracks die out - the short-sighted people will wonder what happened

either way, thanks to everyone who 'understands' what this car is meant for
k_bojar - You hit it right on the mark.
Spec racing will gain popularity and get more guys back in the hobby.
I am a victim -
I am having so much fun with spec racing (Slash spec and 1/10 Mini Chassis).
Minimal investment and best of all, all the smiles and excitement racing with everyone.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #680
Tech Rookie

Well ive just had a full pack through my cup racer. Didnt have time to adjust things as i was having so much fun!

I adjusted the caster on the front to the maximum amount. Not sure of the degrees. The front camber is to the innner most notch. (full) The rear camber is quite aggresive to tuck the tyre under the arch.

It handles pretty damn well! It even lifts a front wheel out of the corners with brushless power. It could really benefit from roll bars.

But lets not forget "true ten", It is built to look scale, and drive scale.

Some foams, heavier shock oil and firmer springs and this will be a competiive kit IMO.
Dan-Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #681
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I raced my CR yesturday at Nor-Cal Hobbies with the minis. Traction was high. First qualifier I started with box stock set-up. To much roll and inicial turn in. So I gave it more castor lowered ride hieght to 3mm changed shock oil to 45 wieght all around. Ran much better. I qualified 3rd not bad for the first run.Didn't do so well in the main because I decided to change front shock oil to 60 wieght. Car pushed bad. All in all I am very happy with the CR and with more time I will get this thing dialed. By the way I used a CO27 it was by far faster than most minis out there. So next time I will use a Black can.
team green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #682
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Good modification work but as I said back at the start of this thread the design is overengineered to the point of being useless in a number of areas.

Obviously a car designed not to take much more than a silver can motor which is a pity
I have to agree with cannon's post....

After reading this thread, it sounds like you guys are spending more time fixing the Cup Racer than actually driving it.
BlackMini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #683
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMini View Post
I have to agree with cannon's post....

After reading this thread, it sounds like you guys are spending more time fixing the Cup Racer than actually driving it.
true, we are figuring out this more and more. But if HPI really just wanted a silver can chassis, they should have stuck with the Switch instead of wasting time and money to develop the CR. Just like a real car, you mess with the motor output, you need to change your suspension to balance it out. Same goes for the CR. Like I said before, wait for the springs/sways and then decide on the verdict.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #684
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BIG DADDY8
Questions??

Were looking at starting a "CUP" class here in Austin,Tx and was wanting to know where to get the breakable parts? Like front and rear arms, steering blocks, ect. I don't see them any where just screws, bearings, ect.
BIG DADDY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #685
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
People always miss the importance of class that level the playing field and make it INVITING for someone to get into racing...

Spec classes always have been and always need to be the backbone of R/C racing - its nice to have the 'balls-to-the-wall' classes, but what the majority of people miss is that those people aren't what make up the majority of R/C racers...its the weekend racer who wants to have fun and hang out fulfilling their racing/speed desires without having to take a 1:1 car on the track (I know that's why I do it)

Either way, when no one is left racing or tracks die out - the short-sighted people will wonder what happened

either way, thanks to everyone who 'understands' what this car is meant for
Bojar, you seem to miss the concept of spec racing as well . Spec racing can include same car and say a 17.5 BL motor. All I was saying is that the overengineering has caused a number of small issues that can effect reliability of the car. The reliability factor has been mentioned by a number of racers already. The complexity of the hubs has made the car weak when a simple hex system with spacers or offset rims which HPI makes heaps of would have solved the problem.

I race the M chassis cars in a Spec class here ... simple design with no issues.

It is a shame that racers from a country which screams "free speech" says that people cannot have an opinion different to "the CR is the best car " attitude
Old 06-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #686
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
It is a shame that racers from a country which screams "free speech" says that people cannot have an opinion different to "the CR is the best car " attitude
You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to my opinion of your opinion, and its not good.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #687
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to my opinion of your opinion, and its not good.
ditto

cannon - an opinion is one thing, and you're definitely entitled to it...but when you constantly repeat the same thing over and over and over again, it get royally annoying.

and i completely get the 'spec' racing...and a 17.5-based class is NOT spec, its 'stock' TC no matter how you try to twist it....

USVTA is spec racing, Tamiya M-Chassis is spec racing, the ABC series that they run out in california is spec racing...

I get spec racing, I perfer spec racing, I am the class director for the 'spec' classes at my track - you don't have to explain to me about spec racing.

no matter how you look at it - tracks, clubs, whatever need spec racing if you want R/C to survive, not matter how you slice it...you need a class where you can bring people into the sport and not force them to have to compete with the local top-of-the-line racers, or if they have to run with them, they are all on the same level - motor/power-wise
Old 06-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #688
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
first off, me or snoopy for that matter (and i'm sure there are more that think you need to stop repeating yourself over and over), never once said that the Cup Racer is the best car...Never once - and you can go back and look at them...

I did say/insinuated/expressed that you harping on "design" flaws is not constructive in the least bit...

for all the short comings, did you even offer useful solutions to guys that have bought them and might be looking for some help getting around issues? nope - you just harped about how bad a design flaw the CR racer is..

do I think the cup racer is the best? dunno, haven't driven the ABC car, or the Atomic car, or the 3Racing conversion...do i think its a pretty cool car and will run well in a 'controlled' racing environment - yup

that, my friend, is what I've said/insinuated since I first read your posts...and I'll stick to it until I sell my CR or it breaks into a million pieces because of these 'flaws'
Old 06-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #689
Tech Master

huh? what problems does the hex hubs have? That's the least of my concerns. In fact, they work great.
Did a mini race today using black can, and had lots of fun. Got tangled up in a 4 car pile up and some cartwheels, but the drive shaft cup held up fine(would've broke if it was stock).
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #690
Tech Initiate

I run my CR stock as a drift car and have not had one single problem with it. its a kit, kits are meant to be tuned, refined, retooled, its not a RTR car that you expect should run well right out of the box.
I have to agree every few days cannon comes in here to puts the car down, if you don't like it and you don't have one, why are you in here? I for one love it! its a great kit and a blast to drive around!
in fact, they just paved a huge parking lot by my house and some guys have been hitting it up cause its soooo smooth and new, I took my CR over with the kids the other day to just play around, some BL, lipo boys were running their stuff screaming around. I just started drifting in my own little section, and I can't tell you the number of people who came over and said "what kinda car is that?" "it's so cool!"
if you look at this thread I am not the only person to get back into RC, or start, because of this car.
popdada is offline   Reply With Quote