Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Hello!

Found this thread on google tonight and have read all 40+ pages!
I have just baught the HPI Cup racer.
And i also have the ABC Genetic.

Love the mini´s!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

ahh, sways and springs finally! too bad no one will carry them.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
ahh, sways and springs finally! too bad no one will carry them.
well I DID post something about the parts not being available yet...but I just checked hpiracing.com and all the graphite chassis parts are listed as in stock and available for purchase this is the lower and upper chassis parts, front and rear shock towers, carbon "A" steering plates !!!

Yeah, its sad, probably no one will carry them - unless its a shop that has a good ABC Genetic/CupRacer/4wd mini class, then you'll have stock

Actually, i'm more concerned about the tires for non-drifters hopefully they show up soon

Last edited by k_bojar; 06-19-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: found new information!!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

threaded shock bodies, adjusting nuts for the shock bodies (which, BTW looks like you NEEd if you go with the threaded shocks )

sway bars are in stock

well that's it

(didn't want to modify my other post YET AGAIN )
Old 06-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for an superb thread!
Any one who nows where i can find the Alu hubs for the front and rear?
I orded the CF main chassie and upperdeck tonight.

I tried to post som pictures of my ABC Celica and 510 but i have to wait!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Callahan_88
Thanks for an superb thread!
Any one who nows where i can find the Alu hubs for the front and rear?
I orded the CF main chassie and upperdeck tonight.

I tried to post som pictures of my ABC Celica and 510 but i have to wait!
so far, only Hot Racing has their's available - HPI was still out of stock

http://www.hot-racing.com/?c=467
Old 06-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

I´l just have to wait then, i want the orange ones!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Rookie

My first post on here. I picked up my cup racer last week and got it built up, and the body sprayed.

Ill get some pics up later.

Took it out for its first run this morning on real smooth asphalt. Needs a bit of tweeking but the grip from the stock tyres is imense and not once did it roll, even with speeds from the TRX Velineon brushless i put inside.

A very good kit to build, especially when comparing to a M-03.

Going to shelf the Datsun body and put on my Mini body with the shorter wheel base.

Excellent kit and cant wait for the hopups.

Going to do a review on it too, after ive tweeked and tested it.

Great forum too.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dan-Mini
A very good kit to build, especially when comparing to a M-03.
Glad you're liking the car its a kick once you get it all sorted out

actually, comparing this car to the M03 is apples-to-oranges...the M03 is a very simplistic 2wd chassis, whereas this is a highly scale/tunable/advanced chassis with WAY more moving parts then the M03

As much as I love the Cup racer - its definitely not the kit to introduce to a total newbie that doesn't even have any modeling experience

After I give mine a run tomorrow, I'll let you all know what I did to to
the drivetrain is free'er (not like other shaft cars, because of the Pro4 spool and the CVDs aren't perfect fit), the suspension moves much better, and I got ground clearance

oh, by the way, 12th scale center shock springs fit just about perfect and they're sold 2-to-a-pack, plus they are a little longer then the stock springs
Old 06-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah i agree matey, the Cup Racer is way more advanced than any M-03, probably better comparing to the ABC genetic but since ive never owned one i compared with the mini.

It is a tricky kit to build, i dont have my instruction manual to hand but should the nyloc nut inside the hub be ca'd into place? It tends to push out when replacing a wheel.

I dont like the front camber adjustment though, bit of a pain to adjust when finding the right set up. My only dig at it so far though!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:54 PM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan-Mini
Yeah i agree matey, the Cup Racer is way more advanced than any M-03, probably better comparing to the ABC genetic but since ive never owned one i compared with the mini.

It is a tricky kit to build, i dont have my instruction manual to hand but should the nyloc nut inside the hub be ca'd into place? It tends to push out when replacing a wheel.

I dont like the front camber adjustment though, bit of a pain to adjust when finding the right set up. My only dig at it so far though!
+1 on the Front camber adjustment. When I first built the kit, the camber was not the same. I had to shave the the plastic piece (part 85280) that connected the hub to the arm. Quick camber adjustments is impossible since you have to add or decrease the amount of shims in between the front arms and part 85280 (Dont know how to name that piece).

Other than that, the kit is great. Far more tuneability and quality than the M-chassis. The ABC Genetic would be the closest rival to the Cup Racer in my opinion. I recently purchased the ABC Genetic kit since I wanted to join the huge following at BCR in Orange, CA. But I will use the Cup Racer Chassis with the ABC body, wheels and tires.

Fortunately, i have not come across any major issues. Besides hearing all of the issues for the Cup Racer. As with all 1st Generation items, there will always be minor issues that will be resolved later.

I only use a 540J silver can motor. I did get a higher end ESC with the Tekin FX Pro. This ESC is great. So much features. The performance really woke up after tuning the Drag Brake, Throttle Profile, etc. Also has a lipo cutoff. Everything else is stock and it's working awesome. Big smiles. The drivetrain is super smooth. Rear end does not loose control. I can dive into corners agressively.

All in all - very happy with the kit.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

What BL system do you guys recomend?
I have an Castle Sidewinder 5700 in my ABC and i love it.
But saw erlier in the thread that there were some problem to get it to work in the CupR.
Ezrun 60A 4000KV is one of the system im thinking of!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default LPR 15.5 turn is what I'm using

Originally Posted by Callahan_88
What BL system do you guys reccomend?
I have an Castle Sidewinder 5700 in my ABC and i love it.
But saw erlier in the thread that there were some problem to get it to work in the CupR.
Ezrun 60A 4000KV is one of the system im thinking of!
I've heard others mentioning not so positive things 'bout LPR motors and esc's. However, mine works well and could probably go a fewer turns. Very responsive.... Tower had a nice price on the combo I had to pick up. Don't know if this qualifies as a recommendation, but it's definitely an indorsement.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JS
+1 on the Front camber adjustment. When I first built the kit, the camber was not the same. I had to shave the the plastic piece (part 85280) that connected the hub to the arm. Quick camber adjustments is impossible since you have to add or decrease the amount of shims in between the front arms and part 85280 (Dont know how to name that piece).

Other than that, the kit is great. Far more tuneability and quality than the M-chassis. The ABC Genetic would be the closest rival to the Cup Racer in my opinion. I recently purchased the ABC Genetic kit since I wanted to join the huge following at BCR in Orange, CA. But I will use the Cup Racer Chassis with the ABC body, wheels and tires.

Fortunately, i have not come across any major issues. Besides hearing all of the issues for the Cup Racer. As with all 1st Generation items, there will always be minor issues that will be resolved later.

I only use a 540J silver can motor. I did get a higher end ESC with the Tekin FX Pro. This ESC is great. So much features. The performance really woke up after tuning the Drag Brake, Throttle Profile, etc. Also has a lipo cutoff. Everything else is stock and it's working awesome. Big smiles. The drivetrain is super smooth. Rear end does not loose control. I can dive into corners agressively.

All in all - very happy with the kit.
Yes, the car is good... at silver can speeds. try putting a black can in there and see what happens. Need that spring set and sways!
Also watch out that front center shaft cup. It's the only plastic piece in the drive train and the 3 teeth will sheer off. I killed three of them already. Going to do the axel pin mod for a little more reliability.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 PM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
Yes, the car is good... at silver can speeds. try putting a black can in there and see what happens. Need that spring set and sways!
Also watch out that front center shaft cup. It's the only plastic piece in the drive train and the 3 teeth will sheer off. I killed three of them already. Going to do the axel pin mod for a little more reliability.
I have not tried a black can or a BL setup and I dont intend to.
Thanks for the tip. I have been watching those components. I don't think that I will have much problems with those while running the silver can. I plan to only race the Cup Racer in 1/10 mini chassis races that spec silver can motors. The 1/10 mini chassis spec racing is growing. I don't intend to bash with it or do speed runs either. I am plenty happy with the way it is setup right now. I will do a BL setup on a true 1/10 scale touring car. I am using this car to have a blast in racing with scale realism and motor guidelines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.