Originally Posted by cyclone x View Post
what up andy do u remeber me haha
r u coming to 301 this year for the race u better haha
You guys are tooo fast
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #587
Tech Initiate

Default Noob

Hello. I am new to the forum but have had a few RC cars (most recently a fully modded Savage) and have built detailed model cars for years.

I am now 30 and mostly work on my real cars but had to get back into this when I saw that I could get a 510!!!! I have a 72 510 I have been building for the past year. I also have a 92 BMW E34 that has a ton of work done.

Oddly enough, my father has 3 immaculate 240z's so I may have to build a replica of one of his cars for his bday as well now that I see there is an S30 available

Anyhow...... I just purchased my HPI 510 a few hours ago. I saw this thread on the 510 forum months ago and have been reading through. I was curious what components you all would recommend to get me started. I thought brushless but have read some negatives. I could read myself silly about all this but really I consider myself a beginner as it's been many years. I want something fun but not too crazy. More parking lot racing with it than competition. I know that is basic but I would appreciate some advice.

Don't flame me for not doing a bunch of searching. I have been reading this particular thread for a while and am even more confused I have also read of on different types of RC cars and motors etc. There is soo much info it's crazy.

Besides. My real car is pretty nice and I do all my own work including paint so...........

I see I cannot post a link. You can find my car online by going to cardomain and search 510. It will be the first or second car that comes up RVAE34 It's orange with a black hood. I will attempt to re-create my car (minus the flares of course)

Thanks in advance for advice on the electronics, motor, etc.

Brandon
five&dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
You guys are tooo fast
haha come on i got some jaw dropping cars for u like a savage flux that almost does 80mph
cyclone x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #589
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by five&dime View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum but have had a few RC cars (most recently a fully modded Savage) and have built detailed model cars for years.

I am now 30 and mostly work on my real cars but had to get back into this when I saw that I could get a 510!!!! I have a 72 510 I have been building for the past year. I also have a 92 BMW E34 that has a ton of work done.

Oddly enough, my father has 3 immaculate 240z's so I may have to build a replica of one of his cars for his bday as well now that I see there is an S30 available

Anyhow...... I just purchased my HPI 510 a few hours ago. I saw this thread on the 510 forum months ago and have been reading through. I was curious what components you all would recommend to get me started. I thought brushless but have read some negatives. I could read myself silly about all this but really I consider myself a beginner as it's been many years. I want something fun but not too crazy. More parking lot racing with it than competition. I know that is basic but I would appreciate some advice.

Don't flame me for not doing a bunch of searching. I have been reading this particular thread for a while and am even more confused I have also read of on different types of RC cars and motors etc. There is soo much info it's crazy.

Besides. My real car is pretty nice and I do all my own work including paint so...........

I see I cannot post a link. You can find my car online by going to cardomain and search 510. It will be the first or second car that comes up RVAE34 It's orange with a black hood. I will attempt to re-create my car (minus the flares of course)

Brandon
hey Brandon - as far as the motor, see what people at your local track are going to be running, that's assuming you plan on racing the car alot of the mchassis classes are running the Tamiya Silver can motors - but if you're gonna do a HPI challenge, they its a 27t or 17.5 BL motor.

If you are going the brushless route, I wouldn't go much over a 17.5...the car's drive train can handle the power, but it will most likely be a handful to drive - unless you're into drifting
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #590
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on ever tracking it. More of a fun parking lot racer during car shows

I want something fairly quick but manageable as I get into it. Then I can upgrade later. I want quality parts.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #591
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just finished my cup racer. The build went smooth and car runs great.

team green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #592
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by team green View Post
Just finished my cup racer. The build went smooth and car runs great.

how did you get your body down so low?? and does it rub on the wheels??
Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #593
Tech Initiate

That looks awesome^ Love the color. i hope it's as easy as building a real one
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #594
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My ride hieght is set at 5mm all around. I used only the 0mm wheel hub on the rear so it would'nt rub.
team green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #595
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Looks great, nice blue!

andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #596
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by team green View Post
My ride hieght is set at 5mm all around. I used only the 0mm wheel hub on the rear so it would'nt rub.
that was my next thought

I need to post some pics of mine once I get the body mounting straight
Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #597
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by five&dime View Post

Brandon
Welcome to the Cup Racer thread!

From my standpoint brushless motors are the future of electric R/C. Before brushless there was no such thing as 1/8 electric. The type of electronics you put in your Cup Racer really depends on what you plan on using your car for. Racing? Bashing? Static display with the occasional run?
My Cup Racer has these bits:

Radio: Spektrum DX3R
reciever: Spektrum 3100
servo: Spektrum z590
motor: Novak SS 17.5 BL
esc: Novak sport spec
battery: SMC C-Max 5200 40c lipo

I consider my Cup Racer a drift-at-work then race on the weekends kind of car. I chose my 17.5 motor since 17.5 seems to be the default motor for the mini class. Also the motor and esc came together as the Novak Sport Spec brushless system. The set cost $140 which is actually a killer deal considering no other sensored BL systems come close in price. I was looking to get a Speed Passion GT or Tekin RS BL system but for $100 more than what I got I think I'll pass. My C-Max battery gives my car some crazy runtime. I'll spend most of my lunch drifting (or at least trying to drift) then go to the track after work and run some laps. I can't believe the runtime I get from my battery sometimes.

Cost would be the only reason why I think someone would go with a brushed motor. I feel the pros with going brushless far outweigh the negatives.

Anyways have fun with your Cup Racer. Don't be afraid to ask questions around here and take the time to read the assembly manual when you're putting it together.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #598
Tech Initiate

Hey thanks for the great advice. I would love to be able to drift it but I imagine that takes quite a bit of skill.

Other than that it will be a static display mostly and then run in a parking lot maybe twice a month. I go to a lot of car meets and would love to run this around when bored

I may get into racing it in the future but imagine I need lots of practice. Any links to motor, electrics combos would be great!!! I would also like info on what radio I should get. My budget for all the extra bits will be b/t $350-400 roughly.

When can I post photos or links? If you guys like 510's you will love my 72
Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #599
Tech Adept

Default The latest........

On Big Squid and RCeasy they have photo of the new body that going to be produced fort he cup racer series, very, very nice.....
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Cup Racer 1M-5-dime.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-img_2094k.jpg  

Last edited by 1555Racing; 06-11-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: additional photo
1555Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #600
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1555Racing View Post
On Big Squid and RCeasy they have photo of the new body that going to be produced fort he cup racer series, very, very nice.....
Is that not just the regular Datsun 510 body?
Bodywerx_rc is offline   Reply With Quote