R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #541
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i finished the kit not doing any of the recommended "mods" to it and do not have any problems with it so far, well except parts availability but there is nothing needing replacement yet.
freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #542
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Sup buddy! Got one? Running it anywhere soon? I think I'm headed to BCR Sat to run mine
No, not yet. I will soon tho'.

The 'ol 9-to-5 (in my case 9-to-19) is keeping me on lock..

I shall return.

How have you been bro'?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #543
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
ditto here...

there's things you can do to make it roll smoother/free-er, but nothing that HAS to be done...its like the TC3, the car built fine but people are always looking for ways to make it 'better'
wow you guys must have hands of steel to press those bearings into the axleTwo other guys had this issue in my area. Aside from the front driveshaft cup, all this kit needs is a center shaft that is 2mm shorter and all the problems will go away. With a shorter shaft, you can shim the bevel gear properly and still have enough play.

Everything else is based on your experience in building cars properly.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #544
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeway View Post
i finished the kit not doing any of the recommended "mods" to it and do not have any problems with it so far, well except parts availability but there is nothing needing replacement yet.
DITTO
Bodywerx_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #545
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSherman View Post
No, not yet. I will soon tho'.

The 'ol 9-to-5 (in my case 9-to-19) is keeping me on lock..

I shall return.

How have you been bro'?
I'm hanging in there considering the times

Type3? Can't wait to see it if you are. Hopefully it's a full body car so that HPI can license it and make it for our cup racers

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #546
Tech Elite

i hope the reaslly race these at the hpi challanges
cyclone x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #547
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone x View Post
i hope the reaslly race these at the hpi challanges
they are - and for Ray Murray's race we'll have at least one heat of them

the only questions are 1) will it be 27t/17.5 or 30t spec motors and 2) will we have enough registered to get trophies from the class (need at least 8 cars)

From what I remember, sounds like we'll have 5ish for Ray's race - just need a few more but I'm sure there there are a couple other 'lurking' around
Old 05-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #548
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2

Quote:
I'm hanging in there considering the times

Type3? Can't wait to see it if you are. Hopefully it's a full body car so that HPI can license it and make it for our cup racers
Hey Mike... it was good meeting you yesterday....
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #549
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's rediculously difficult to install the bearings into the axle, and a couple of the toe-in adjustment inserts do NOT even go into the rear hub carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
wow you guys must have hands of steel to press those bearings into the axleTwo other guys had this issue in my area. Aside from the front driveshaft cup, all this kit needs is a center shaft that is 2mm shorter and all the problems will go away. With a shorter shaft, you can shim the bevel gear properly and still have enough play.

tsais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #550
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default some hop-ups for the CR

http://tsais.com
tsais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #551
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post

Hands of steel? No, started the fit by hand but let tightening the wheel onto the hex do the rest of the work
I experienced the broken front cup though now. Bummed as it happened right before the main. Didn't even hit anything and have only been running a Mabuchi motor. I need to do some testing on this car so I think I have a good fix for it. I drilled some holes and inserted 1.5mm pins from an RC18T axle. 2 pins lined up well with the 3rd hole not quite right but I think 2 steel pins should be much much stronger then the plastic 'teeth'.
I hope HPI comes out with metal front cups and harder shock springs ASAP. The kit springs are too soft for high bite asphalt- way too much body roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
Hey Mike... it was good meeting you yesterday....
Good to meet you again as well. HPI Micro RS4 Socal Worlds- good fun back in the day!!
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Cup Racer 1M-dsc_1383.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-dsc_1384.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-dsc_1385.jpg  

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #552
Tech Master

Quote:
Hands of steel? No, started the fit by hand but let tightening the wheel onto the hex do the rest of the work
I experienced the broken front cup though now. Bummed as it happened right before the main. Didn't even hit anything and have only been running a Mabuchi motor. I need to do some testing on this car so I think I have a good fix for it. I drilled some holes and inserted 1.5mm pins from an RC18T axle. 2 pins lined up well with the 3rd hole not quite right but I think 2 steel pins should be much much stronger then the plastic 'teeth'.
I hope HPI comes out with metal front cups and harder shock springs ASAP. The kit springs are too soft for high bite asphalt- way too much body roll.

Good to meet you again as well. HPI Micro RS4 Socal Worlds- good fun back in the day!!
Great fix! I'll try that on my broken one later too. Agree with the springs being too soft. The F201 spring is nice, but I need a more linear spring like the HPI silvers for the Pro4. Have this problem where the car oversteers on high speed or quick transition. Kinda acts like my M04. Going to try using some unconventional setups to get around this.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #553
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hey guys...putting my cup racer together now. A question on the rear driveshaft cup: There are 3 short screws holding the "spur gear guard" on just behind the driveshaft cup....it seems like the back side of the cup might rub on these screws once assembled?? The screws are as close to flush as I can get them...
Thanks for any advice...
Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #554
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
Hey guys...putting my cup racer together now. A question on the rear driveshaft cup: There are 3 short screws holding the "spur gear guard" on just behind the driveshaft cup....it seems like the back side of the cup might rub on these screws once assembled?? The screws are as close to flush as I can get them...
Thanks for any advice...
That's one of the reasons why I needed to shim the shaft cups. Don't over do it, or you'll lose the safety play of the center shaft and possibly destroy a bearing in an event of a crash.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #555
Tech Initiate

just ordered my cup racer, have some parts around and just wondering if they will be ok.
stuff on hand
20T motor
27T motor
7.2v 3300 mah nimh
HPI EN-1 esc
and futaba servo
I also have a TA 18R esc I can use
will this get me up and going?
what motor?
popdada is offline   Reply With Quote