R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #451
Tech Rookie

I wish HPI would go ahead and release hopups. Found some bearing to fit the laydown suspension today, E-flight EFLH1115, they fit fine and are smooth.
Stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #452
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat View Post
I wish HPI would go ahead and release hopups. Found some bearing to fit the laydown suspension today, E-flight EFLH1115, they fit fine and are smooth.
been having a hard time looking for bearings, there is one more need to be converted.
freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #453
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeway View Post
been having a hard time looking for bearings, there is one more need to be converted.
the bearings for the rocker arms, are the same ones used for the rear axels of a Mini-Z I just raided my spare mini-z parts for my bearings

I know Avid carries these bearings as well as the ones that you can use on the steering which is something I did on mine as well

The steering bearings are the same size as the center pulley on a Cyclone and steering on a Pro4/Cyclone
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #454
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsais View Post
Gorgeous bodies! Do those ABC bodies fit the Cup Racer?
Yup they are made for their Genetic chassis, which is very close to one of the Club Racer setups.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #455
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
the bearings for the rocker arms, are the same ones used for the rear axels of a Mini-Z I just raided my spare mini-z parts for my bearings

I know Avid carries these bearings as well as the ones that you can use on the steering which is something I did on mine as well

The steering bearings are the same size as the center pulley on a Cyclone and steering on a Pro4/Cyclone
got part numbers chief ???
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #456
Tech Rookie

Hpi # B015 for the steering.
Stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #457
Tech Master

ok, more building thoughts.

1. The bearings that comes with the kit. Degrease them! They are packed with thick grease. If you use them as is, your car will be slow.

2. Though the driveline seems to be tight, there still is slop for shims to be used. Took me 4 hours doing this to get this right. There is a considerable amount of slop to fix on the center shaft bevel gear area. If you allow the bevel gear to go all the way into the gearbox, it will make some harsh noises. You will need to shim it just so that it can't go that deep. Just when I got the gear box to run freely, I ran into another problem. Seems HPI made the center shaft too long and it actually made the chassis bow a little when I installed the driveline on. Those shims were just enough to do that. What I did was I ground some material off the ends of the center shaft, and ground a little off the screw head inside the shaft cup. Now I can place the top deck on without forcing it.

3. The ball diff. The diff kept coming out feeling like rubbish no matter how I built it, and found the problem to be the thrust assembly. I swapped it out with a spare tamiya one, and the diff is smooth like butter now.

In all, it was hard work to get things to my standard. I can see why this car would make horrible noises due to the bevel gear clearances. Being that it is metal also contributes to this(way more durable so that's a +1). Swapping the spur/pinion to 64 pitch will also make it more quiet. Now on to the suspension...
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #458
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Big Daddy Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
Handle like a mini? My M03 can keep up with TCs on the infield. The only problem is that it likes to traction roll from the high CG. This new HPI should get rid of that. Just need to work with it.

I switched front springs from the original (as per instructions) soft to hard for the front laydown shocks and what a difference it made! The kit tires actually work well now and the car handles more like a 4wd car as it carves up through the track pretty well. With a vintage non-rebuildable 27t Reedy Rage motor, the car was fast. A little more work and track time should help further.
Big Daddy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #459
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool View Post
I switched front springs from the original (as per instructions) soft to hard for the front laydown shocks and what a difference it made! The kit tires actually work well now and the car handles more like a 4wd car as it carves up through the track pretty well. With a vintage non-rebuildable 27t Reedy Rage motor, the car was fast. A little more work and track time should help further.
That's good news. I'll try it on my shakedown later.

While building the suspension, I came across more stuff.

1. The suspension arms bind. You will need to shave some material off to get those arms to move freely. If it doesn't drop from its weight, it is too stiff. This could be the reason why some people have ill handling characteristics.

2. The axles that fit into the hub bearings. They are way too tight. It caused some bindage from the pressure. I got some sand paper and shaved some plastic off the axels until I could get a nice snug fit using your fingers (instead of something short of a bearing press).

3. That long screw that goes through the upper and lower front arms. I guess that is to prevent the steering knuckle from turning too much and some structural integrity. That thing also limits the upward travel of the arms. I have yet to test it with the shocks on, but it is a concern at this point.

In all, the suspension feels very solid due to the tight tolerances. Almost too tight in some areas, you need to do some hand fitting to get them just right. You can do it in the beginning, or keep running until they wear in. It's definitely taking longer to build than some TCs, but it seems really good at this point.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #460
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to blue 3:16 Send a message via AIM to blue 3:16

Quote:
good to hear that ron, nice job

hope we could run my genetics and your cup racer sometime, i know it will be a blast 27T motor of course
blue 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #461
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Big Daddy Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 3:16 View Post
good to hear that ron, nice job

hope we could run my genetics and your cup racer sometime, i know it will be a blast 27T motor of course

Rob, i think I'll put off getting a Genetic. The Cup Racer seems very promising.
Big Daddy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #462
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeway View Post
got part numbers chief ???
Sorry - was away from an internet connection all day yesterday

Part numbers:

Steering Rack bearings:
http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=i...=1&prevstart=0

Rocker Arm Bearings:

Wasn't too difficult Avid lists all his bearings by size, so look in the manual find the right size under 'metric' and you're in business

Hub Bearings:
ceramic:
'regular':
'revolutions; non-ceramic:
regular, rubber seal:

He'll carry all the bearings for the Cup Racer - just not in the mood to look thru the manual to find the others that are left...I trust you all can read and search a website

Sorry if I'm coming off like a smartass
Old 05-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #463
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
Sorry - was away from an internet connection all day yesterday

Part numbers:

Steering Rack bearings:

Rocker Arm Bearings:

Wasn't too difficult Avid lists all his bearings by size, so look in the manual find the right size under 'metric' and you're in business

Hub Bearings:
ceramic:
'regular':
'revolutions; non-ceramic:
regular, rubber seal:

He'll carry all the bearings for the Cup Racer - just not in the mood to look thru the manual to find the others that are left...I trust you all can read and search a website

Sorry if I'm coming off like a smartass
thats not being a smartass IMO, info is info. appreciate it
Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #464
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to blue 3:16 Send a message via AIM to blue 3:16

Quote:
Rob, i think I'll put off getting a Genetic. The Cup Racer seems very promising.

that's ok, at least parts support is no problem with your cup racer

i'm sure in no time you'll get it dialed in
blue 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #465
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 3:16 View Post
that's ok, at least parts support is no problem with your cup racer

i'm sure in no time you'll get it dialed in
ayos location pare