R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #3286
Tech Master

Quote:
FYI, Robinson racing spur gears fit the cup racer. This is the one I used when I raced it.. It's 60t and 48p. They also have a 65t / 48p

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-Spur-Gear-60T
-thanks that is great to know!

As for the cg roll on your CR'r, be sure you have your wheel hubs in the correct order, I believe there is a subtle difference between the left and right sides (I've accidentally installed them incorrectly). Also make sure your chassis isn't too high off the ground, -I am at work now, but think my ground clearance is around 7mm ?? I can verify later. Adjust the camber and shock spring and oil weight. Your CR probably just needs to be tuned correctly, -they shouldn't roll and should handle very well.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #3287
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
-thanks that is great to know!

As for the cg roll on your CR'r, be sure you have your wheel hubs in the correct order, I believe there is a subtle difference between the left and right sides (I've accidentally installed them incorrectly).

All was well once i swapped the rear hubs... it was towed out... which just couldn't be right. I recently got an M05... the CR's handling vastly superior.
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:44 AM   #3288
Tech Rookie

Hello!

Im a Cup Racer enthusiast from Norway. I'v found that also the 3racing 48 pitch spur gear fits the cup racer. They have the range from below 60t to way over 70t. The spur gears is a little bit slimmer than the original but they fit on the hub nicely. How durable they are i do not know, have had three packs through a 68t and it holds up fine. Just a heads up.
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #3289
Tech Master

-Thank you Anorak!
This is great info, especially as the CR has long been discontinued and there are still many of us out there who love and still drive our's.

My CR has been on the shelf all summer as I am no longer racing it competitively -there is no class for it where I race. The closest is the "Mini" class, but it is strictly for Tamiya Mini (M01-M06). So my CR is now strictly a parking lot racer.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #3290
Tech Regular

Quote:
The closest is the "Mini" class, but it is strictly for Tamiya Mini (M01-M06). So my CR is now strictly a parking lot racer.
Count yourself lucky... they only allow FWD mini at my track! I bought an M05 just to compete.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #3291
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone know some place that still stocks the Exotek upgrade kit for the Cup Racer?

It would be fun to add to this kit.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:18 AM   #3292
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Cup Racer Tires

Just looking to find out what other tires can be used on the Cup Racer wheels other than the HPI tires, any advice would be helpfull.
CCDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #3293
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDrift View Post
Just looking to find out what other tires can be used on the Cup Racer wheels other than the HPI tires, any advice would be helpfull.

I once stretched a set of Tamiya Grasshopper tires over the MX60 wheels:

You'll need to raise the body a considerable amount if you want to make a rally out of it:

If you're simply looking for a better performing tire, then I'd highly recommend switching over to standard 1/12 Touring wheels which are 54mm in diameter, my favorite brand is the RIDE which offer belted slicks with a very thick tread that is nearly twice as thick as most stock tires:

Here are OFNA JL12e slicks:

Note that you need to buy the standard 54mm wheels from RIDE, although the RIDE tires can be stretched over the MX60 wheels, they will perform better on the RIDE wheels.
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #3294
Tech Master

ha, an exotek chassis ...good luck, ...search ebay maybe one day you'll get lucky?

I have a lot of spare CR parts still in their bags (including the disc brake set). But not the Exotek chassis set. ...I did have a couple of the HPI CR carbon fiber chassis NIB but sold them ...the one I have I put on my CR. I think you can still find them on ebay or amazon marketplace occassionally.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #3295
Tech Initiate

What a coincidence, just took my CR out for a little driveway bashing the other night for the first time in about 4 years. Are CR tires no longer available?

I almost forgot what a fun little car this is!

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #3296
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

MX60 tires are getting harder to come by these days, they are no longer made, so I would stock up them while you can:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+tires&_sop=15

Personally, I've had much better luck with the RIDE tires which are just a pinch smaller in diameter... here are a set of RIDE tires to get an idea of what they look like:

billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #3297
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
ha, an exotek chassis ...good luck, ...search ebay maybe one day you'll get lucky?

I have a lot of spare CR parts still in their bags (including the disc brake set). But not the Exotek chassis set. ...I did have a couple of the HPI CR carbon fiber chassis NIB but sold them ...the one I have I put on my CR. I think you can still find them on ebay or amazon marketplace occassionally.
Ha, Ha... No doubt its tough to find. I have been scanning ebay and here, but never thought to try Amazon... Nice on the brake kit, I was looking at one of those!

I just purchased a Cup Racer kit from a forum member for my BMW 2002 Turbo project, and was wanting to trick out the chassis as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
MX60 tires are getting harder to come by these days, they are no longer made, so I would stock up them while you can:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+tires&_sop=15

Personally, I've had much better luck with the RIDE tires which are just a pinch smaller in diameter... here are a set of RIDE tires to get an idea of what they look like:
That's good to know, I never thought the OEM tires would be discontinued as well. I just picked up a set of wheels and tires for my project and will definitely get some more! The tires you are running look nice!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #3298
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

HPI Cup Racer

Last edited by Ropes; 10-03-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Ropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #3299
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Double post....weird
Ropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #3300
Tech Regular

My cup racer is apart for odd grinding noises in the rear. Also it keeps letting the right-rear drive loose at the hub. Has a Lancia body on it, so I assume that takes a toll on its reliability :-D *

*Daily drove a Lancia Scorpion for years. Great car once previous owners 'improvements' were removed.