Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HPI Cup Racer 1M >

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey I'm new to CR-land. I relented and found a deal on a roller (so I could finally have that Lancia Stratos body fit correct).

Two burning questions:
-What spare part is scarce and everyone seems to need?
-Will a Castle 1406 (4600kv) destroy the car's driveline with ease?

If so can I just gear it mildly?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Edit neva mind, sold my Castle system with the sprint. will do race spec Speed Passion sensored of some sort.

Last edited by firefoxussr; 05-02-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: blah
Old 05-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default getting started

what's the recommended servo?

i understand stand up is better. I will be running a low profile body, but i don't think that will interfere.

what LiPo seems to fit the car best?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I've been very happy with the Turnigy 1258:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I have had limited success getting this style LiPo to fit, but I had to make a few mods to include strapping it in with tape because the battery retaining posts had to be removed in order for the pack to fit in the holder/cage:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-35...se-direct.html
Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong
I've been very happy with the Turnigy 1258:
I have had limited success getting this style LiPo to fit, but I had to make a few mods to include strapping it in with tape because the battery retaining posts had to be removed in order for the pack to fit in the holder/cage:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-35...se-direct.html
very intarastin' thanks. is there an alternative to that Turnigy that fits without modifying, apparently it's on backorder at HK.

Perhaps I should just think lighter on the battery and get something that's small. I do love lightness and a full size battery is not my aim. I am solely making this car for pleasure (the Stratos body...).
Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Actually, the 1251 is a little faster and lighter, still way more torque than any on-road car needs:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_9_sec.html
Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong
Actually, the 1251 is a little faster and lighter, still way more torque than any on-road car needs:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_9_sec.html
thank you.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Congrat's on your purchase,
I've had up to 3 CR's at any one point ...raced several for several years in an loose/open mini class. They were great in their day. I still have one w/ every upgraded part available

As for spares becoming difficult to get, ...I think that the spur gear may be one to get a few extra of, because it is a unique design. I am unaware of any other spur gear that will fit the CR ...it has a unique design where it threads onto the driveshaft ...I have about 3 extras still in their bags. As for parts that break and thus will need to be replaced ...the only part I had break repeatedly was the plastic part that attached to the gears and drive shaft (can't recall the name of it offhand). But there is a replacement available made in metal that will not break. I'd upgrade that part, Exotek sells it (look them up). Otherwise most of the other parts are pretty solid. I'd stock up on any part that is unique to the CR'r if you are worried about them becoming unavailable in the future. Don't worry about getting bearings, screws, washers, etc... those can always be replaced easily. I think I have enough spares in their bags to make another full car. Seriously! -I even have a pristine graphite chassis in bag and the coveted disk brakes never used! ...oh and 4 Porsche bodies in their bags. (Just sold one on eBay recently). ...so I am a bit of a CR fanatic!! There are better cars, but in it's brief life the CR was a nice car!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eR1c
As for spares becoming difficult to get, ...I think that the spur gear may be one to get a few extra of, because it is a unique design. I am unaware of any other spur gear that will fit the CR ...it has a unique design where it threads onto the driveshaft ...I have about 3 extras still in their bags. As for parts that break and thus will need to be replaced ...the only part I had break repeatedly was the plastic part that attached to the gears and drive shaft (can't recall the name of it offhand). But there is a replacement available made in metal that will not break. I'd upgrade that part, Exotek sells it (look them up).
Thank you, thank you.

I bet that's the alloy drive cup. As far as the spur gear, I am going to power it mildly with low torque motors so I don't tear it up, that said I've only destroyed one spur... but that was from ingesting sand/rocks (on a Vaterra Kemora). That said, is there a certain KV or turn limit I should stay within?
Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

I think a 21.5T motor is the sweet spot for me

I've got a NIB 25.5T Speed Passion that I'll sell for $45 shipped, it should get you close to 30mph where a 21.5T will be closer to 35mph
Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

I bet that's the alloy drive cup. As far as the spur gear, I am going to power it mildly with low torque motors so I don't tear it up, that said I've only destroyed one spur... but that was from ingesting sand/rocks (on a Vaterra Kemora). That said, is there a certain KV or turn limit I should stay within?

Yes, the alloy drive cup, -you need two ..one for front and back.
As for motors, I have always used silver cans for racing and 17t brushed for parking lot fun. The 17t brushed won't hurt it, ...I'd personally stay away from the fastwr brushless and lipo setups. I think extra torque could put too much stress on it. -that is just me though, as I know plenty of people ran brushless and lipos on the CR's without issue. The 25.5t brushless as described in the previous post should be fine as well.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, the alloy drive cup, -you need two ..one for front and back.
As for motors, I have always used silver cans for racing and 17t brushed for parking lot fun. The 17t brushed won't hurt it, ...I'd personally stay away from the fastwr brushless and lipo setups. I think extra torque could put too much stress on it. -that is just me though, as I know plenty of people ran brushless and lipos on the CR's without issue. The 25.5t brushless as described in the previous post should be fine as well.
Thanks for the info. Think I do have the drive cup as installed by the previous owner ( finally get it, it's not the one on the driveshafts, it's the front-to-rear transfer shaft / spur gear shaft).

I did finally drive it today... wow... so much fun. Love it's size especially. And nice gradual breakaway in sweeping turns. Incredibly controllable and quick. I love SWB on-road cars, this after running my TA03R-S a week or so ago.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

I did finally drive it today... wow... so much fun.
-I have about 7 RC vehicles, ...I too find myself driving this one often. It is fun! It's not my fastest vehicle, but it just handles nicely for its speed and size. It is really planted well, can't really roll it as the CG is low. ..it was a good vehicle for the Mini class.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I've had up to 3 CR's at any one point ...raced several for several years in an loose/open mini class. They were great in their day. I still have one w/ every upgraded part available

As for spares becoming difficult to get, ...I think that the spur gear may be one to get a few extra of, because it is a unique design. I am unaware of any other spur gear that will fit the CR ...it has a unique design where it threads onto the driveshaft ...I have about 3 extras still in their bags. As for parts that break and thus will need to be replaced ...the only part I had break repeatedly was the plastic part that attached to the gears and drive shaft (can't recall the name of it offhand). But there is a replacement available made in metal that will not break. I'd upgrade that part, Exotek sells it (look them up). Otherwise most of the other parts are pretty solid. I'd stock up on any part that is unique to the CR'r if you are worried about them becoming unavailable in the future. Don't worry about getting bearings, screws, washers, etc... those can always be replaced easily. I think I have enough spares in their bags to make another full car. Seriously! -I even have a pristine graphite chassis in bag and the coveted disk brakes never used! ...oh and 4 Porsche bodies in their bags. (Just sold one on eBay recently). ...so I am a bit of a CR fanatic!! There are better cars, but in it's brief life the CR was a nice car!

FYI, Robinson racing spur gears fit the cup racer. This is the one I used when I raced it.. It's 60t and 48p. They also have a 65t / 48p

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-Spur-Gear-60T
Old 06-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Raman
FYI, Robinson racing spur gears fit the cup racer. This is the one I used when I raced it.. It's 60t and 48p. They also have a 65t / 48p

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-Spur-Gear-60T
Thanks!

So i took the CR out to the RC track, got some mini tires... and holy-traction-roll... Upon later inspection, my battery was mounted too high... but more amusingly the rear wheels are noticeably towed-out.

woops... probably happened when I switched it from its existing 225mm to 210mm wheelbase. I'm inferring you have to swap the hubs, side to side when you do that.

Also to my surprise the local track now stocks Stratos bodies... which supposedly are going to be used on M05s...FWD Stratos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.