Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HPI Cup Racer 1M >

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CarerraRSeattle
It appears that Tamiya is doing the same version of the Porsche Carrrera RSR on their TT-02 tub chassis

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...rera-rsr-58571

The body does not appear to be formed as nicely as the Porsche HPI body.
The guy who designed the Cup Racer RSR is an absolute Porsche nut as well as a gifted modeler so we got lucky with the HPI body. Also the HPI Fuch wheels look more accurate than the the Tamiya ones.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manny
The guy who designed the Cup Racer RSR is an absolute Porsche nut as well as a gifted modeler so we got lucky with the HPI body. Also the HPI Fuch wheels look more accurate than the the Tamiya ones.
Yes, I have to agree it appears like Tamiya tried to copy the HPI body to the point of replicating the quirky fit of the HPI rear duck tail spoiler and the rear windscreen. Where Tamiya has missed the boat is where the body mounting posts coming through the rear windscreen. The offset in the fuch wheels look like the contemporary fuchs instead of the 70's vintage as well as the proportion of the sidewall and wheel diameter.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Any Cup Racer activity out there? Wondering if it's worth my time to let mine go...or just keep it on the shelf.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If any of you cup racer nuts looking for the Disk Rotor / Caliper Set (Gold/Red) I have a set. Wanted you guys to have first crack at them. $35 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Cup Racer 1M-photo-6.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any Cup Racer activity out there? Wondering if it's worth my time to let mine go...or just keep it on the shelf.
Yes, I am still using my CR'r quite regularly and plan to continue to race it in our Mini class come March when the new season starts up. I've been racing the CR'rs since about 2009 and find that in the Mini class they do very good especially since most are dominated by the Tamiya M's (which are not great in my opinion). I bought two CR'rs and just sold one, but plan to keep the other which has been raced extensively. It usually finishes in the top 3 spots when I race.

Is it worth you keeping or letting it go? That is hard to say. I am not sure what their value will be in the future? Kits still go for a fairly decent amount on eBay. So I think that if yours is in good shape you could get $200+ for it. -depending on what you have and condition. I sold my extra CR'r about 8 months ago for about $300 but it was NIB. (That helped fund my purchase of a 1/10th Ofna/Haboa H4). -which I also race.

-----

Couple comments/observations on the CR'r:

1) I believe that replacement parts for the CR will no longer be manufactured by HPI in another year or so. Just look at the big retailers, -I see that parts are slowly getting the "discontinued" tag. -in fact you can not buy a spur gear any longer ...and since the CR uses a specific design this is a serious problem should you break one. (I have 4 spares)! -in fact I have purchased about $100 of support parts for my CR as I want to continue to race it for another few years at least.

2) I will NEVER buy another HPI car or kit. I think that it was crappy for HPI to create the CR in about 2009 and discontinue the kit only 2-3 years later by late 2011/early 2012. As an example, I have bought Team Associated products which you can still get replacement parts for a full 10 years later after the kit release ...even if the original kit is no longer available. I've noticed the same great support from Tamiya, Ofna, and Axial.

3) What I believe HPI should have done was the creation of a Cup Racer Version 2 "CR V2". The CR was a good car for the mini class and seemed to have a lot of interest (not sure what actual sales were)? -but seems they were always sold out. In a V2 I would like to have seen something that shared some parts w/ the first CR but was a step in the evolution ...something that would compete w/ 1/12th Atomic racer (forget the model name offhand).

...which leads to my last item.
The CR is not the best 1/12 street racer out there. In fact it has quite a few flaws in my opinion. But I still love it. I love the bodies and scale accessories that were available for it. -this rivaled most competitors in my opinion. The scale looks and accessories (like replica Fuchs wheels, disc brakes and exhausts) really made this car stand out and a blast to build and drive.

If I did not already have a CR and a ton of spares, and wanted a 1/12th car to compete in a MINI class ...I'd probably get a racer from ABC Hobby or Atomic's car.

---
yes, there are those of us who still love our CR'rs ..and I still see them at the track from time to time.

My only suggestion if you plan on keeping it is to purchase some of the spare parts that are prone to break or not easily created or used from another model. -parts like turnbuckles and ball cups are easy to come by, but others are not.

Last edited by eR1c; 02-10-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I appreciate your response and I agree with your opinion about HPI's decision to discontinue this chassis. I have raced mine as well, all of last year's indoor season, and have only broke one part before upgrading the bumper to eliminate any other breakage and to save my bodies. I took it back to the track last week to stretch its wheels and everybody was impressed. I just don't run the mini class at my track and I hate to see this thing just sit on the shelf looking pretty. But, if no one here is interested, I'm OK with leaving it on the shelf for a while.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, nothing wrong with keeping a vintage car. In fact I wish I still had some of my first RC vehicles.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Just a heads up there is a NIB Cup Racer -Porsche kit for sale on eBay. $300 buy it now price.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

...just found out about "Jethobby.com" -they are located in Hong Kong, but have lot's of really cool option parts I've not seen for our CR's.

I just picked up a graphite lower chasis and a few bling orange aluminum parts.

-------

I have 5 rc vehicles, ..my CR is my vintage one that I am still really enjoying and enjoying picking up hard to find parts for.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

300 bucks is steep! But it's such a nice kit!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

...ha, I just saw another CR on ebay for $400 and used.

Ha, I remember when you could pick these up for $160 shipped (w/ coupons).

wonder if HPI will even do a "re-release" -like Tamiya has done w/ it's classics?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trying to guage the value of NIB cup racer bodies (as I have about 1\2 a dozen to sell) I came across several on Amazon and eBay. Are bodies really selling for $125 ??? I found a 240z body on amazon, actually about 10 of them ranging from about $80 up t0 $130. ...The Levin body on eBay is going for $60 (w shipping). BMW 2002 at about $85.

Seriously? ...thinking now may be a good time to sell my stock of extra Porsche bodies?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

picked up some new bling for my CR.

Aluminum gearbox brace.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Cup Racer 1M-cr.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool cup racer fan

Hi all. I still race my CR every sunday and love it. Yes I with most of you
support from HPI is not the best. It would be cool IF HPI would come up
with CR-V2. As for the cool new parts got some on the way. They are on
e-bay now. Lots of new bling. Well its good to see some fans left.
Everyone stay well and keep the rubber side down.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Hello Rob,
...agree w all you said. I too am loving my CR. ...Unfortunately I am joining a new club closer to my home and they do not allow cup racers in the mini class ...only tamoya minis. Which are far less superior cars in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.