R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #3211
Tech Master

- I like your Atomic VM2. I am not very familiar with them.

This is 1/12th and I assume can use the HPI bodies?
Does it handle better than our CR'rs? -and can you race in the "Mini" class with it?
How much were you able to sell your CR'r for?

I really like the CR'r, yet since I have several, -one of which has never been driven. ...thinking maybe selling the pristine/shelf queen CR'r for something different?
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #3212
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the pictures that's a big help! There's quite a few parts on the plastic sprues with no explanation on where or how to use them.

On another topic, I damaged the Martini stripe hood decal trying to get it aligned. Can anyone spare theirs that built the street version? I can send $ to cover postage if need. Please PM me. Thanks again!
CarerraRSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #3213
Tech Master

Quote:
On another topic, I damaged the Martini stripe hood decal trying to get it aligned. Can anyone spare theirs that built the street version? I can send $ to cover postage if need. Please PM me. Thanks again!
-pm sent
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #3214
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KrackerG

i have a set of 4 HPI mini white teddy bear wheels if anyone is interested. i just posted it in the classified too.
HPI CHALLENGE East Coast: '01 E-town, NJ, '02 spring Valley, NY, '03 Home Depot, NJ, '05 Delaware, '08 Cherry Hill, NJ and 301 Raceway in MD. - RTR Box Stock Nitro - Nitro Vintage TA - 1/10 Nitro Truck - Super Nitro
KrackerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #3215
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thank you Eric for your help. It's very much appreciated!

I now need to shop for a motor and esc. What are people running?

Battery recommendations as well as 2.4ghz radio systems.
CarerraRSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #3216
Tech Master

I am using brushed setup ...I had began with a "silvercan" brushed + nimh battery, as the class I raced it in required a silvercan motor. Yet the place I raced ..a local Hobbytown decided to let kids rent cars for $5 and race them. You then had a bunch of little kids (no offense to little kids, I have two of my own), who didn't know how to control a car in a race with those who did and who cared about their cars. ...it was a big bash fest (and I mean bash in the literal sense).

So, I no longer "race" there and go to a GREAT place (Nor-Cal hobbies -which has 3 real tracks dedicated to racing). Yet it's an hour + drive for me.

...to make a short story long.
I am still running a brushed setup in my CR. (I do have another CR that has been built as a roller but never driven).

Here is what I have in the one I run frequently:
-reedy radon 17t brushed motor ($17)
-duratrax ESC ($40)
-5000mah nimh battery ($30ish)
-futaba servo ($50ish)

My controller and receiver are from Futaba, -it's one of their mid-level controllers. I use it to control all my cars and trucks. ..i've always liked Futaba (yet probably just because they were king back in the 80's when I got into this).

my 17t brushed setup is actually pretty good. For track racing it is competitive and fun. Not sure I'd want to go much faster ...these 1/12th CR's don't handle like many of the 1/10th tourers (which can handle much more speed on a closed track). For open parking lot fun the 17t is plenty, yet I could enjoy a tad more speed ...say 15t? -or so. ...I mostly drive this for it's scale looks.

When I want to go insane fast I have a couple vehicles that are brushless and have serious power.

only negative to my setup is the weight. I feel that a 5000mah nimh battery is pretty heavy. I think I'd save quite a bit of weight with a lipo battery pack instead.

Last edited by eR1c; 07-29-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #3217
Tech Elite

@eR1c

A heads up. We are using Roar 21.5T brushless with blinky ESC for mini racing at Norcal Hobbies if you decide to come race.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #3218
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post

Does it handle better than our CR'rs? -and can you race in the "Mini" class with it?

I really like the CR'r, yet since I have several, -one of which has never been driven. ...thinking maybe selling the pristine/shelf queen CR'r for something different?
The Vm2 Lipo make a cup racer look like a piece of garbage.

Cup racer is for mostly show imo. And having very detailed bodies and accessories.

Performance wise. The VM2 laps around the cup racer.
The Vm2 is by far the best mini in the market. It is well built especially for the price. it is very similar to a Trf417 or a TC6.1

so if you are in to racing... VM2 hands down.
show and detail accessories... Cup racer.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #3219
Tech Addict

Quote:

My cup Racer sold on Ebay for 300 Bucks.
That is with all my upgrades. lost a lot of money for sure...
But the VM2 only cost 190 shipped.
should have gone with the Vm2... I just didnt know that there was something better than a CR.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #3220
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOmo View Post
Did you use Tamiya corsa grey on the body?

Looks good.

Momo
Yes Tamiya Corsa Grey.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #3221
Tech Addict

Quote:

yes the Vm2 Lipo is classified as a M-chassis.. and i do run with the Tamiya M-chassis folks. not fair tho... Vm2 is a AWD belt mini pro chassis LOL.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #3222
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jacob- View Post
The Vm2 Lipo make a cup racer look like a piece of garbage.

Cup racer is for mostly show imo. And having very detailed bodies and accessories.

Performance wise. The VM2 laps around the cup racer.
The Vm2 is by far the best mini in the market. It is well built especially for the price. it is very similar to a Trf417 or a TC6.1

so if you are in to racing... VM2 hands down.
show and detail accessories... Cup racer.
It's not that bad. . There's a fast Cup Racer at my local track. I would watch for slop in the bearings on the VMii.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #3223
Tech Master

Skywinder,
-thanks for the advice about the motor/esc's your using in the mini-class at Nor-Cal hobbies. ..I live about an hour's drive. ..so hard for me to get down there often. BUT, as soon as I can get some free time I may head down for a race.

I have heard of the fast CR'r that seems to beat everyone there (in the mini class). -Love hearing that.

To the poster that said CR'rs are garbage and only meant for looks, -common, ...really? I will pretend I didn't hear that.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #3224
Tech Addict

Quote:
Skywinder,
-thanks for the advice about the motor/esc's your using in the mini-class at Nor-Cal hobbies. ..I live about an hour's drive. ..so hard for me to get down there often. BUT, as soon as I can get some free time I may head down for a race.

I have heard of the fast CR'r that seems to beat everyone there (in the mini class). -Love hearing that.

To the poster that said CR'rs are garbage and only meant for looks, -common, ...really? I will pretend I didn't hear that.
no offense bud. CR is a great car. not for competitive racing. What mean was garbage was CR's adjustability.

no offense. loved my CR. it will drive and you can race with it but compared to a belt drive pro mini chassis it is not a competition. I purchased the CR btw because i was told that it was the best AWD in the market I guess that was in the US. If i only knew Active and Atomic made one i would have gone that route to begin with.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #3225
Tech Addict

Finally finished my Atomic VM-II lipo edition

i thought i'd share some pics. Got the porsche body from my cup racer.
which is now going to be a shelf body... HPI mx60 tires are just not the best in racing.

After putting the Sedan Pro Body and wheel on this, i must say. It was a night and day difference in performance... not scale look and as pretty but function is unreal.

Parts List:

Atomic Vm2 Lipo
Atomic Vm2 swap bar upgrade
Tamiya Body height adjuster
LRP flow Esc
Novak 25.5 Ballistic
Reedy 5500 60c lipo
Savox low profile servo
Honda Accord 210mm Touring Body
Ride Mini Dish wheels and Tires

thanks for looking