R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #3196
Tech Master

I have only used the MX60 tires on a hard asphalt track. I think it depends on the surface of the track, but the "H" are my fav' for real asphalt tracks (that is tracks that are dedicated to the use of RC vehicles ...unlike tracks setup in parking lots). The "M"'s work well too yet they wear out kind of quick. I also use tire grip liquid ...once they warm up they grip really well.

For parking lot racing you can use 1/10th tires, there are some that are not much larger than our MX60's ...go to Tower, they give you the measurements, ...i found many that are only about 6mm larger overall ...it does raise your center of gravity but for parking lot running where the terrain isn't as smooth tires with tread are nicer and last a lot longer.

I have not run on carpet, ...(hope that helps).
The best info would probably come from the people who run on the particular track your interested in ...as each has it's own surface qualities.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #3197
Tech Master

-oh, also keep in mind that the tires run a little different when the track is hot or cold. I gave my recommendations/knowledge for summer time when it is warmer out.

...when the track is cooler or cold, then the medium compounds tend to work better than the hard (in my opinion) on asphalt tracks.

...yet experiment, -that's what its all about!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #3198
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 303 (100%+)

Any suggestions on an inexpensive set of tires and wheels for the cup racer? Going to be run mainly on ashphalt... Looking for something in a medium compund.

I have numerous 1/10th touring car tires/wheels but they all are a little large for the cup racer. Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #3199
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was going to try the treaded tires on the mini rims or some tire and wheel combinations from Tamiya. There are some premounted tire and wheels around that are 62mm in diameter which aren't too bad.

I just bought two more of the Porsche RSR bodies and a couple of LED lighting kits from Tower Hobbies. HPI shows their lighting kits as discontinued. What are you guys using instead?
CarerraRSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #3200
Tech Master

Quote:
Any suggestions on an inexpensive set of tires and wheels for the cup racer? Going to be run mainly on ashphalt... Looking for something in a medium compund.

I have numerous 1/10th touring car tires/wheels but they all are a little large for the cup racer. Thanks
If running on an asphalt track that is perfectly smooth and made for RC racing then a great combo is the MX60 w/ Medium or Hard slick tire. YOu can get the MX60 wheels for as low as $2.99 for 2, -I think the white 8-spokes are the least expensive ...and the H compound slicks are $9.99. So your looking at about $26 for a complete set.

If your running on an asphalt parking lot that is not perfectly smooth and not racing ...just driving around and having fun. Then I'd recommend a tire with a bit of tread to deal w/ the imperfections of the surface. YOu can also run a 1/10th (find the smallest diameter wheel + tire combo you can) ..running 1/10th on parking lot just for practicing is good because it will give you an extra bit of height to clear the small rocks, leaves and other debris on the parking lot surface.

Here is what I typically do:
Racing on track, -MX60 wheels w/ MX60 M or H compound tires (H for warm summer, M for cooler temperatures). Also use liquid tire grip (I think it's called Paragon or something like that)

For practicing/just having fun in the parking lot I run this 4 pack of assosciated tires They are only $10.99 for 4. The rubber wears kind of soft and provides nice grip for practice.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCZD2&P=7

I pair these tires with these rims (or similar),
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAWL2&P=7

the diameter is only about 6mm or so larger than running the MX's ..it does raise your center of gravity a tad, but for parking lot fun it isn't noticeable. -For racing you won't want to run these as you'll want to be as low and wide as possible for better cornering. The difference is significant for racing, but hardly noticeable for parking lot fun.

Note, the MX wheels will not work with the Associated tires...

hope that helps. (I am sure everyone has their own system)
Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #3201
Tech Master

Quote:
HPI shows their lighting kits as discontinued. What are you guys using instead?
-You can use ANY lighting you want.
I have used Team Integy's light sets. I think an entire light set is around $10.

OR, what I also do is pick up a light controller (just a generic light board that connects to the receiver to control the amount of power going to the lights), usually about $5 or so, then splice and wire my own lights to it from radio shack or other local electronics store. I am usually able to wire my own bodies for around $10-$15 total. I don't have the fancy turn signal, brake and other features that the nicer true controllers give you but, for constant headlight and tailight on, i am happy w/ my inexpensive solution.

Not sure about this exact light set, ...yet this is what I typically get ..something similar to this
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTNX&P=7

Last edited by eR1c; 07-11-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #3202
Tech Apprentice

I have another question regarding the CR build. How do you set up the mock exhaust tips. There appears to be extra parts but no printed instructions. Suggestions welcome, Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #3203
Tech Apprentice

Cool cup racer fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarerraRSeattle View Post
I was going to try the treaded tires on the mini rims or some tire and wheel combinations from Tamiya. There are some premounted tire and wheels around that are 62mm in diameter which aren't too bad.

I just bought two more of the Porsche RSR bodies and a couple of LED lighting kits from Tower Hobbies. HPI shows their lighting kits as discontinued. What are you guys using instead?
Hi all I like to run the hpi X-pattern belted mini tire #4565 and any A.B.C Genetic
wheel they work good in parking lots and in the street or on a dusty track.
hope this helps
Rob34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #3204
Tech Master

Quote:
I have another question regarding the CR build. How do you set up the mock exhaust tips. There appears to be extra parts but no printed instructions. Suggestions welcome, Thanks!
It took me awhile to figure this out too.
I am at work now, but from memory, I believe that you only use 3 parts.

The exhaust piece (round cylinder) -pretty obvious.
And two curvey elbow pieces, one has a ball at the end, the other a flat spot with an oval cut out of that flat spot. The ball at the end of the one elbow piece goes inside the exhaust (the flat end of the exhaust). The other elbow piece now connects with a small nut and bolt to the elbow that was inserted into the exhaust piece.

You should now have 3 pieces connnected.
You can now either tape or put a small bolt and nut through the flat end of elbow to connect to the inner portion of the body of the car. I prefer using a nut and bolt (as opposed to tape) as it will be more secure. Also the oval cut out of the flat end allows for exact fine adjustment of the exhaust. ....you should be able to curve the exhaust to the exact fit.

I can take a photo and upload if this does not make sense. -let me know, I can do it this evening.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #3205
Tech Apprentice

"A picture is worth a thousand words" Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #3206
Tech Master

tonight i'll take some photos!
-I just now saw your post..
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #3207
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Need some gearing help for a 3300kv fuze motor paired with a HW 35a Esc. It's a drift car, nothing else. Using a stock HPI 15t setup, and my Esc is doing funny things.

Not finding much in 3300 range to help with gearing.

Momo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #3208
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just sold my cup racer.

just finished building my Atomic VM2 Lipo
Night and day compared to the cup racer.
Placed 3rd place at the track that i currently raced i usually get about 5th or 6th..
Cup racer just does not have a lot of adjustability.

Also finished it with the HPI porsche body

Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #3209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did you use Tamiya corsa grey on the body?

Looks good.

Momo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #3210
Tech Master

Quote:
Sorry this took me a few days to get to, -been busy w/ work and family.

The first couple of photos are from my 240z body, but the exhaust works the same for this body as it does the Porsche. The second set is of my Porsche, but I used two of the stock exhaust tips and mounted to my own bracket system to give the car a dual exhaust. ...I hope these photos help.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Cup Racer 1M-01.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-02.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-03.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-04.jpg