R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #2836
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Heres some picts fom Sunday drifting w/friends, The 510 is Kidthunder510 (post #2641 pg.177). Recognized his Driver insert from his post.........small world.

We drift @ Hobby Town USA in Concord CA. open Thurs. nights 5-9pm & Sunday Noon-5pm.$5 to run...free 2 watch (but who wants to do that???). They also have a small 1/10th carpet offroad track (got bumps & jumps).

The Gun Metal Gray Savana RX3 is my AE TC5F Drifter.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Cup Racer 1M-picture-237.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-picture-238.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-picture-240.jpg  

Last edited by sqidduc; 02-27-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add more info
sqidduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #2837
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidduc View Post
Heres some picts fom Sunday drifting w/friends, The 510 is Kidthunder510 (post #2641 pg.177). Recognized his Driver insert from his post.........small world.

We drift @ Hobby Town USA in Concord CA. open Thurs. nights 5-9pm & Sunday Noon-5pm.$5 to run...free 2 watch (but who wants to do that???). They also have a small 1/10th carpet offroad track (got bumps & jumps).

If you and kidthunder510 want to try out grip racing check out Norcal Hobbies in Union City.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #2838
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
If you and kidthunder510 want to try out grip racing check out Norcal Hobbies in Union City.
Yah, I love NorCal....Kevin the owners a great guy, freindly & always willing to help you out.

I raced Tamiya M03's out there 4 a bit, then bought a TC5F & tried my hand @ 17.5 sedan (Back when Marin RC was in business). Just wasnt my thing......But it does make an excellent Drift car

I race Short Coarse @ Delta RC & occasionally make it out to NorCal.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #2839
Tech Master

...concord has a carpet track? Awesome, i'll have to make it out there and join you guys. I've been racing my CR's (I have 2) up in Petaluma ...yet its only seasonal (they race at a hobbytown in the spring and summer months).

I did make it out to Nor-Cal hobbies last week. GREAT place. They have a nice indoor and outdoor track (as well as dirt tracks).

I race my Porsche in a stock class, but just built a 240z (which I plan on using for fun, ...i have a 17t in it now.

Love the CR's, good to see that there are others that do as well.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #2840
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
...concord has a carpet track? Awesome, i'll have to make it out there and join you guys. I've been racing my CR's (I have 2) up in Petaluma ...yet its only seasonal (they race at a hobbytown in the spring and summer months).

I did make it out to Nor-Cal hobbies last week. GREAT place. They have a nice indoor and outdoor track (as well as dirt tracks).

I race my Porsche in a stock class, but just built a 240z (which I plan on using for fun, ...i have a 17t in it now.

Love the CR's, good to see that there are others that do as well.
They dont race or anything at Hobby Town Concord....The carpet track is a Drift track. No Drift competitions, just relaxing drift. All skill levels welcome..... beginers-seasoned Drifters. Im still fairly new at it myself.

-Throw some TDrifts on & come on out!-
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #2841
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidduc View Post

I had a blast at Hobbytown's drift track. To be honest, this was my first time at any sort of a track. I really only bashed around with my dad at local parks. Every one was really cool and made me feel at home. Man these guys have some cool cars and share a lot of knowledge. Can't wait to go again. Good times
kidthunder510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #2842
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidthunder510 View Post
finally got some pics of my cup racer to show. It has a Tamiya cockpit interior with roll bar. The cockpit comes with a driver with open face or closed helmet, but I made my own head and nitrous bottle with some clay you can harden with use of a conventional oven. His beanie is the thumb off a glove.
I know this is an old post, but do you have the part # for the Tamiya interior?
dazed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #2843
Tech Initiate

Also, not sure what happened to my first post about finding a motor + est + battery pack

I"m not sure what to get in terms of a brushless setup for this. Looking for a motor + esc under $100 if possible (flexible). Might race, but not too sure. Looking for the right battery pack along with it.

I've not done electric RC, only nitro's, so have no clue.

As for the CR itself, I got the 240z from tower. Started the build and on step 3 (gear differential) screwed the long screw too much. Now it doesnt seem to tighten all the way thus allowing the gears to move. Have the part on order with tower.

Also picked up a GPM aluminium set, but after reading here, regretting it already. And got ballbearings for wherever HPI used bushings. Why not just upgrade the 8 bushings to ball bearings to begin with!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #2844
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
I know this is an old post, but do you have the part # for the Tamiya interior?
Here you go bro: Tamiya 54298 1/10 Touring Car Cockpit. Be real careful when you cut next to the sides of the interior's fuel cell to make space for your cup racer's body posts. Also, make sure you have enough clearance from your esc's heat sinks. I almost melted a hole in my driver's arm.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #2845
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Here you go bro: Tamiya 54298 1/10 Touring Car Cockpit. Be real careful when you cut next to the sides of the interior's fuel cell to make space for your cup racer's body posts. Also, make sure you have enough clearance from your esc's heat sinks. I almost melted a hole in my driver's arm.
Awesome, thank you. I'm in the bay area too (Oakland).
Old 03-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #2846
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
Awesome, thank you. I'm in the bay area too (Oakland).
Cool man. Shoot out to Hobby Town's indoor track in Concord on a Sunday. I need a brushless system for my Cup Racer too. Since I am just drifting, I am getting by just fine with a used LRP Runner esc I got off of Ebay along with a Checkpoint 19 turn brushed motor. Old school set up, but I am having fun and learning a lot and can always upgrade in the future.
Sqidduc is a cool cat. Wait until you see his cup racer. Super tight!
HobbyTown's track is actually located in a different location in the same strip mall. If you are facing the Rite Aid. It's the next shop on the left. Windows are smoked out and unless you look inside, you can miss it. A little secret squirrel action!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #2847
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Cool man. Shoot out to Hobby Town's indoor track in Concord on a Sunday. I need a brushless system for my Cup Racer too. Since I am just drifting, I am getting by just fine with a used LRP Runner esc I got off of Ebay along with a Checkpoint 19 turn brushed motor. Old school set up, but I am having fun and learning a lot and can always upgrade in the future.
Sqidduc is a cool cat. Wait until you see his cup racer. Super tight!
HobbyTown's track is actually located in a different location in the same strip mall. If you are facing the Rite Aid. It's the next shop on the left. Windows are smoked out and unless you look inside, you can miss it. A little secret squirrel action!
Nice. Will check it out after I build it (few weeks out). Broke / stripped the gear differential screw bad and that's the 3rd step. Waiting forone from Tower.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #2848
Tech Rookie

1st..right on KIDTHUNDER 4 the talk up

2nd..As far as bearing are concerned...I buy from avidrc.com ,its a Buck a bearing!!! Cheap!! there hasnt been a bearing Ive needed they didnt have. I even seen they have one-way bearings for $4....Hmmm might be a Font One-way in my future (since they dont make 1 for the CR)

I did see the You Tube Vid on the homeMade one way for the CR, looked pretty cool. But since mines glued up 4 Posi....I dont want to have to buy a new 1 for this Mod.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #2849
Tech Master

Quote:
As for the CR itself, I got the 240z from tower. Started the build and on step 3 (gear differential) screwed the long screw too much. Now it doesnt seem to tighten all the way thus allowing the gears to move. Have the part on order with tower.
I did this on my first CR build. You have to really be careful to not overtighten it, ...it's been awhile but I believe that its a small lock nut (w/ plastic on the inside) that you probably stripped. You may be able to just try a new lock nut. -that may be the part that broke. Next time turn that long screw in really small increments until it is set just right. ...dont' go too quick!
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #2850
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I did this on my first CR build. You have to really be careful to not overtighten it, ...it's been awhile but I believe that its a small lock nut (w/ plastic on the inside) that you probably stripped. You may be able to just try a new lock nut. -that may be the part that broke. Next time turn that long screw in really small increments until it is set just right. ...dont' go too quick!
That probably was the problem. I've unfortunately ordered the whole gear differential. Should be here today. so we'll see.