R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #271
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Just completed the Cup racer to be confronted once again by no foresight from HPI.

The current generation of stick pack style lipos do not fit in the car
The cables on the end cannot fit inside the cradle comfortably. And cannot be looped around the back as shown in the instruction without fouling the suspension.

Once again HPI has failed in the final smaller detail. The same problem is in their Switch FWD. Stick pack lipos cannot fit. They only seem to make consideration for the more expensive lipos. Strange when this car is appealing to a totally different market to those that use the larger lipos.

And when not using the various trays cradles etc because they dont fit the lipo you use tape and tape the lipo to the top deck effectively dangling the lipo on the underside of the top deck, lifting the CG of the car .. not very smart.

My Express is looking like a far better and more simple design. The Cup racer seems too complicated for no real gain

Last edited by cannon; 04-24-2009 at 09:56 PM.
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #272
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Just completed the Cup racer to be confronted once again by no foresight from HPI.

The current generation of stick pack style lipos do not fit in the car
The cables on the end cannot fit inside the cradle comfortably. And cannot be looped around the back as shown in the instruction without fouling the suspension.

Once again HPI has failed in the final smaller detail. The same problem is in their Switch FWD. Stick pack lipos cannot fit. They only seem to make consideration for the more expensive lipos. Strange when this car is appealing to a totally different market to those that use the larger lipos.

And when not using the various trays cradles etc because they dont fit the lipo you use tape and tape the lipo to the top deck effectively dangling the lipo on the underside of the top deck, lifting the CG of the car .. not very smart.

My Express is looking like a far better and more simple design. The Cup racer seems too complicated for no real gain
I hear bias. Sounds like you are pretty rough on HPI there. Out of all the people who have built the kit so far you seem to be the only one who feels this way about it.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #273
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I hear bias. Sounds like you are pretty rough on HPI there. Out of all the people who have built the kit so far you seem to be the only one who feels this way about it.
Snoopy ... no bias. I am not afraid to say that I have bought a kit that fails to achieve. Some people are afraid to say they made a mistake. I have no loyalty to any brand. I buy and sell what brands work for me. I love how some scream "bias" as soon as someoone says it is not the worlds best

So far I have not seen anyone who has built the car try to put a stick pack style lipo in it. So far only taped on larger lipos dangling under the top deck. One did have a lipo strapped in the Nimh tray but for the majority of lipos they are too big for this tray. It would have been far simpler to make the bottom deck slightly wider and attached various different blocks/chocks/cradles to that. Why lift the battery up?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #274
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok man sorry you are dissapointed. I think Im still going to order one though.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #275
Tech Champion

Quote:
I just feel racers should be aware.

It is like the Switch. Fancy building a FWD Mini that cant take the current lipos that are being used in the Mini class. Not smart design
Old 04-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #276
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to sudhar93

Recently Malaysia hosted a RC Grand Prix called KLGP-RC in conjunction of F1 in malaysia.Atsushi Hara Joined 1/10 touring Class And 4WD Mini Open.He used HPI CUP RACER Box Stocked!He won the race as usual.I dont know how he did it but he didnt have battery straps.He just taped the battery.95% oF THE BATT IS hangging out side.He didnt lock the front ball diff too.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #277
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i must agree with the battery issue and how it is off the chassis floor, but this being a less expensive kit i was not expecting greatness from it but i guess the battery issue could be resolved with some straps of velcro since like my set-up, its not dangling but need to strap that in to avoid having it fall out.
freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #278
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
510 kits shipping next week from our end...spare bodies coming out soon after

You guys must be a little lagged in the US, the 510 appeared on the shelves here in Australia last week.
Super_Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #279
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
510 kits shipping next week from our end...spare bodies coming out soon after

AndyH, when are the diffs and sway-bars coming in?
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #280
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Roo View Post
You guys must be a little lagged in the US, the 510 appeared on the shelves here in Australia last week.
Don't rub it in
Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #281
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhar93 View Post
Recently Malaysia hosted a RC Grand Prix called KLGP-RC in conjunction of F1 in malaysia.Atsushi Hara Joined 1/10 touring Class And 4WD Mini Open.He used HPI CUP RACER Box Stocked!He won the race as usual.I dont know how he did it but he didnt have battery straps.He just taped the battery.95% oF THE BATT IS hangging out side.He didnt lock the front ball diff too.
do you have pics of the setup ??

I'd be curious to see if 95% of the battery is actually hanging out the side - since the setup on the chassis in made to hold the battery to the center...
Old 04-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #282
Tech Champion

Quote:
I'm getting mine tomorrow - and I have a Tekin pack and a SMW pack..When I get the car finished, I'll post pics of how the 'racing' styled packs fit in

cannon - the kit was most like designed with the hard-cased lipos in mine, since that's what ROAR, IFMAR and whatnot allow. I was looking at those 'stick-pack' styled packs for my M-Chassis, but then noticed they aren't legal for most racing
Old 04-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #283
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
I'm getting mine tomorrow - and I have a Tekin pack and a SMW pack..When I get the car finished, I'll post pics of how the 'racing' styled packs fit in

cannon - the kit was most like designed with the hard-cased lipos in mine, since that's what ROAR, IFMAR and whatnot allow. I was looking at those 'stick-pack' styled packs for my M-Chassis, but then noticed they aren't legal for most racing
THe stick pack lipos ARE legal. They are hard cased and on the ROAR list.

It is strange when you look at the instructions in the kit. They show you how to put a Nimh stick pack in the car ... fair enough ... although even these struggle because the wires get stuck in the suspension. They show the square edged hard case lipos being strapped to the underside of the top deck .. a very stupid design error and they also show a small round edge lipo with plug in wires ... as far as I know there is only one lipo like that ... an Orion. Why design something around a single battery?

These design engineers must have beem living under a rock. They have no idea what is available in the market
Old 04-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #284
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
THe stick pack lipos ARE legal. They are hard cased and on the ROAR list.

It is strange when you look at the instructions in the kit. They show you how to put a Nimh stick pack in the car ... fair enough ... although even these struggle because the wires get stuck in the suspension. They show the square edged hard case lipos being strapped to the underside of the top deck .. a very stupid design error and they also show a small round edge lipo with plug in wires ... as far as I know there is only one lipo like that ... an Orion. Why design something around a single battery?

These design engineers must have beem living under a rock. They have no idea what is available in the market
I'm glad you were able to figure out what the hell I was typing

Maybe the lipo stick packs use a thicker wire when compared to the nimh stick packs? that could/would explain why you got 'issues' with the wires in the suspension? I know some of the cheaper stick packs use like 14guage wire - and maybe your lipo uses a 12guage?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #285
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
do you have pics of the setup ??

I'd be curious to see if 95% of the battery is actually hanging out the side - since the setup on the chassis in made to hold the battery to the center...
When you put a square edge lipo in the car and tape it to the top deck .. 50% of the width is unsupported by the top deck. IN other words the lipo is only being held against half of its width.

For the majority of packs this means that the lipo is also being held approximately 5mm above the bottom deck. Veryt dumb design