R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #2761
Tech Rookie

I just finished my first body shell. I have one more to do. The first one didn't come out as good as I wanted it too. But it is my very first body shell I've ever done. I'm just getting into the rc world. Plus the stickers from the first body kit were messed up. I hope to do better on the second shell.

I set the car up exactly like the instructions said since this is my first build. I've got a 16t brushless motor from Carson Model-Sport in it with 30/65 gears. All the electronics are from Carson Model-Sport. Not sure of the history on that company but it looks like it's only available in Germany. I'll play around with the chassis more when I learn more about it. I have no problem setting up the suspension for a 1:1 car, but 1:10 boggles my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Cup Racer 1M-img_0271.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-img_0272.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-img_0273.jpg   HPI Cup Racer 1M-img_0274.jpg  
Dirtboy330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #2762
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy330 View Post
I just finished my first body shell. I have one more to do. The first one didn't come out as good as I wanted it too. But it is my very first body shell I've ever done. I'm just getting into the rc world. Plus the stickers from the first body kit were messed up. I hope to do better on the second shell.

I set the car up exactly like the instructions said since this is my first build. I've got a 16t brushless motor from Carson Model-Sport in it with 30/65 gears. All the electronics are from Carson Model-Sport. Not sure of the history on that company but it looks like it's only available in Germany. I'll play around with the chassis more when I learn more about it. I have no problem setting up the suspension for a 1:1 car, but 1:10 boggles my mind.
LRP makes some great ESC's and they are based in Germany. I have their SXX Stock Spec V2 in my formula one car and plan to buy another for the cup racer. Throttle is nice and smooth.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #2763
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphunRacing View Post
LRP makes some great ESC's and they are based in Germany. I have their SXX Stock Spec V2 in my formula one car and plan to buy another for the cup racer. Throttle is nice and smooth.
Good to know, thanks. May be getting another Cup Racer sometime...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #2764
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

Looks pretty good to me - well done!

Would you mind posting a couple of close-up photos of your velcro body mounting method including inside the body?

I've got a couple of kits to build and I'd like to try to do something like what you've done to not have body posts and clips protruding through!
fritzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #2765
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzzz View Post
Looks pretty good to me - well done!

Would you mind posting a couple of close-up photos of your velcro body mounting method including inside the body?

I've got a couple of kits to build and I'd like to try to do something like what you've done to not have body posts and clips protruding through!
Thanks! I can't take credit for the velcro idea though. I was looking though this thread and someone posted their velcro setup (sorry can't remember the name).

Mine is just expediently put together. I just took pieces of the body mount kit and ran the posts through some flat plastic. Then I just put a strip of velcro on the body mounts, and just 2 small tabs of velcro on the shell (so it's not too hard to remove the shell). Not too professional looking, but it gets the job done.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #2766
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've also read somewhere else on this topic the idea of using velcro to mount the body.

I used some balsa as the plate, drilled some pits/holes with my Skil multitool, and then used thick CA to glue the posts in. You just have to add some angle to the plates when gluing them on, to approx. match that of the bodies.

For the front I had to do two different sets, one for the Porsche body I bought the kit with, and a second for the Datsun body I bought used, since it is a lot shorter. The length of the posts for the Datsun body are now fixed, not adjustable, yet the one for the Porsche still can be adjusted somewhat.

For the rear mounts I used some 4-40 screwz and nuts to make the mount longer, so that it reaches the rear end of the bodies. The plate itself is OK for both bodies, height is still adjustable, yet the length of the screwz need to be adjusted, as you also have to turn around the whole tower for the 210 vs 225 bodies.

Of course one could do this a lot better, but it holds strong enough, I can lift the car by grabbing the top of the body alright, and it also holds up to some fender-bender as well.

Click the photos if you wanna see more of this mess

aSab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #2767
Tech Adept

offtopic:

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. May be getting another Cup Racer sometime...
As for the older types of LRP ESC's, they're famous around here in Europe for their unmatched high percentage of failure - no smoke or anything, they just stop working. The same goes for older NOSRAMs, as it's the same item with another sticker+color. No wonder that you'll find lots of them on the german FS forums, where they sell them 'OVP'/brand new - those mostly are replaced ESC's right back from the shop/factory, the owner just wants to get rid of them as fast as possible. Sure, I'm trolling about that, but hey, every info is worth considering, it is still your decision...
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #2768
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

hey guys, been back and forth about selling my exotek cup racer, all the factory upgrades, new porsche body (unpainted and many new spares). Im putting together a price tonight, lmk if anyone is intrested, much invested into this, will have a fair price. will have no electrics. its clean and is virually unused.
pm me. Matt
kmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #2769
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone know the white paint colour used on the LANCIA STRATOS HF BODY?

From what I can work out HPI don't make paints and Tamiya have a couple of whites

PS-57 Pearl White

and

PS-1 White

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #2770
Tech Regular

I've used Tamiya PS-1:

looks good...
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #2771
Tech Elite

The white on the original (real) Lancia Stratos with the green and red Alitalia scheme was NOT pearl.

Bart's white looks correct.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #2772
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSab View Post
offtopic:
As for the older types of LRP ESC's, they're famous around here in Europe for their unmatched high percentage of failure - no smoke or anything, they just stop working. The same goes for older NOSRAMs, as it's the same item with another sticker+color. No wonder that you'll find lots of them on the german FS forums, where they sell them 'OVP'/brand new - those mostly are replaced ESC's right back from the shop/factory, the owner just wants to get rid of them as fast as possible. Sure, I'm trolling about that, but hey, every info is worth considering, it is still your decision...
not sure what you mean by older LRP or NOSRAMS. had a Matrix which i've used for a little over 2 years (got it used too with badly soldered wires) and never had problems with it, i was not even careful soldering wires to the esc using 200watt soldering iron (the board didnt require it) and changed them frequently since i change chassis quite a handful of times. ive stripped the top connector plate and it worked perfectly without glitches. also a lot of my buddies have used LRP and their NOSRAM counterparts like the Pearl and the newer Pearl 2's without issues.

we love the LRP and NOSRAM esc's here, never heard anyone buggering this great piece of electronics!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #2773
Tech Adept

offtopic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlozity View Post
not sure what you mean by older LRP or NOSRAMS. had a Matrix which i've used for a little over 2 years (got it used too with badly soldered wires) and never had problems with it, i was not even careful soldering wires to the esc using 200watt soldering iron (the board didnt require it) and changed them frequently since i change chassis quite a handful of times. ive stripped the top connector plate and it worked perfectly without glitches. also a lot of my buddies have used LRP and their NOSRAM counterparts like the Pearl and the newer Pearl 2's without issues.

we love the LRP and NOSRAM esc's here, never heard anyone buggering this great piece of electronics!
yep, that's why I said that I'm trolling only: coz there always will be others, who'll state that they're great on their experience. Yet it's always worth to ask those who are selling theirs, why they wanna get rid of them...

:end of offtopic
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #2774
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
The white on the original (real) Lancia Stratos with the green and red Alitalia scheme was NOT pearl.

Bart's white looks correct.
Sure does look good - what about the yellow for the wheels, what colour did you use there?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #2775
Tech Regular

Sprayed mine with Tamiya PS-27 fluorescent yellow, but should have used something else (TS-?) since the PS-paint doesnot hold to the nylon rims, and falls off. The wheels have to be done again with other paint than Tamiya PS-27.